P/I/P, Match 2: Revs vs CHI, 3/7/2020 1:30pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree re: DF and TB. WRT Kessler, is it footspeed or is it anticipation? My guess is that he will get smarter and start looking faster.

2. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too. Guy is a find.
    Totally agree. I feel like a lot of people are down on Bou because he hasn't scored yet, but I feel like he is either being asked - or taking it on himself - to play as a creator in the absence of Gil, and there were several instances where I wish he'd gone to goal himself rather than try to facilitate (like on Penilla's Khano Smith impression). But at the same time, he sent Penilla in alone, that should have been put away, and he was also the one who switched the play brilliantly over to Bye, leading to the goal, so he is having an impact. Speaking of Bye...
    Again, 100% agree. It has been apparent since preseason that his crossing is much better. It was his biggest flaw last season, so that is a good step for him.
    I thought he had a decent game up until the flubbed chance. I thought that impacted him mentally and he wasn't as sharp on either end after.
    Part poor execution (Bou, Penilla, Rennicks), part luck/good defensive execution (the two clearances off the line with the keeper beat). During our streak last year, we would have won that game 4-1. Eventually it is going to get old saying this, but I want to see this team with all of its pieces at full form. It will still have holes to fill, but we are not where we want to be due in large part to who we are missing and who we are asking to be starters instead of depth pieces.

3. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame the Chicago goal on Arena. It was obvious to me that Penilla was gassed and should have been subbed out prior to that happening.

Feldspar repped this.
  4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed the Montreal match, so this was really my first look at the 2020 Revs. Not discouraged, but a bit disappointed that the DM and defensive shortcomings of the 2019 team are not yet addressed. Encouraged by Kessler & Jones, surprised Rowe wasn't able to get on the field. Definitely a work in progress.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you factoring in Carles Gil's absence as well?

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, I wish I knew what was going on there. My lifetime habit of expecting the worst from the Revs is threatening to kick in!

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Rowe didn't really impress in pre-season, so I'm not surprised we haven't seen him.

I think the defense has been addressed and already looks improved to me (albeit, short sample size). Kessler is clearly an improvement and a steadying influence with his composed play and significant size. Both outside backs like to me like they are still on a positive growth curve, with Bye showing better on crosses and Jones finding more chances to get down the wing.

The soft spot seems to be the center of the field, where we miss Caicedo's assertiveness and Gil's 'everything'.

When you run your whole offense through one player, when he's missing, it's going to be a challenge. One goal a game isn't going to get it done.

9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. Injury by shoe choice sounds a bit fishy to me. I'm beginning to wonder if we have some diva issue going on here.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Are you kidding? The guy was an iron man last year, constantly getting fouled and play through most it (in contrast to LN, who went down whenever he was fouled)

11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    That doesnt even include all the time Gil spent yelling at refs after they didnt blow their whistle