P/I/P, Match 2: Revs vs CHI, 3/7/2020 1:30pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 4, 2020.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched Chicago-Seattle last weekend, and it feels to me like Chicago is a tougher out this year. If the Revs don't look any better than they did last week, they're going to lose again.

3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #3 Cannons, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    I agree. I just hope Arena has not stopped for players. We still are a bit short on talent

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching on ESPN+. Not blacked out.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buksa!

asctester repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT 1-0 Revs.
    Chicago sitting back and conceding a lot of possession, Revs not able to do much with it, other than Buksa's nice goal off a long cross from Bye. Chicago diving a lot, ref not buying it. Kessler gets a yellow for late tackle.

Knighton started over Turner, not sure why. Zahibo started also, rest of lineup same as started in Montreal.

7. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting, it told me that I was blacked out. Usually here in the hills of Vermont that normally isn't an issue. We are far enough away from civilization where we normally get the games. NBC Boston had technical issues at the start of the game but they figured it out before kickoff.

8. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner tweaked his knee last game, they are being cautious.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Revs only had 45% possession in the first half. Seemed like more to me.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deja vu all over again.

Revs have 3 good chances and do nothing with them, the Fire score on a Bornstein header. 1-1.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    79' Rennicks on for Bunbury, Buchanon for Penilla

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 1-1.

Rennicks misses from 5 feet out that would have been the winner in the 94'.

Chicago did not impress me, Revs should have done better.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buksa gets my MOTM. Scored the goal, and was dangerous throughout the game. Had a nice back-header on a give and go with Bou that Bou shot wide.

asctester repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I like Rennicks but you have to get that sitter on net. Like last week, its harder to miss that than hit that.

I'll wait for critical analysis

15. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    The result was disappointing -- again -- but overall the team is not.

Early days, but: Diego looks better; Kessler is maybe a real find; still haven't seen the GilBouBuksa.

Looking forward to the next game.

asctester repped this.
  16. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buksa was impressive. His fake to run behind the defender and then cut in front to take the pass was mouth watering. And the contrast between his composed finish and the shots by Rennicks and Penilla was stark. He made several plays that showed good feet and good aggression.

The Fire goal should drive Bruce nuts. A double letdown. Penilla was lackadaisical closing down the crosser and ducked as the ball went by. There had to have been a brain f@rt in the middle for Bornstein to be so completely unmarked.

Despite the meh result, I’m optimistic. Our midfield was better with Zahibo and Diego. It will be even better when Caicedo is back. Gil should improve a lot of our sloppy attacking play. Teal can go back to the bench (did he play in the second half?) Despite his lapse, Penilla was back to being a threat and added good tracking back. We are not going to be fun for anyone to defend when we’re at full strength.

asctester repped this.
  17. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am loving Buksa. I wish Bou took a few more shots in the game. I think he is embracing being a playmaker with Gil out, but he is one the most accurate shooters on the team, if not the most accurate. Bye's crossing is vastly improved and bodes well for good things in the future. I was very impressed with Penilla tracking back and playing some defense, too bad he did not get his chance on net. Many missed chances today. Hopefully the finishing will improve.

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Terrible finishing sinks the revs for the 2nd week in a row.

Really let down by Penilla, Bunbury, and Diego. Bou was not his best either.

I thought Bye, Buksa, and Kessler impressed. Zahibo and Jones werent bad either.

Cannons and RoyNJ repped this.
  19. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two points left on the table due to poor finishing.

20. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, I'm disappointed because that was a dropped 2 points and we really should have been able to come out of the first two games with 4 points, not 1. On the other hand, I still feel good about the team's prospects. Buksa and Kessler are proving to be solid additions, and the team today was missing as many as 5 sure-fire/potential starters. There is a lot of room for improvement, and I think this group is capable of improving.

BERich repped this.
  21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I mostly agree. I have not been impressed by Diego... he doesnt seem as good as he once was. i did like Bye, Buksa, Kessler and Farrell. Bou seems off too. Maybe just rusty? His passing seems sketchy Zahibo scares me. His first foul was about minute 10... his second... minute 21.. I thought for sure he'd get has third and a card but he calmed down. My point is DIego and Dahibo are not going to drive the offense and that's why we're having trouble. Maybe when Gil
    plays we'll start clicking? 2 goals in 2 games is not good enough

pwykes repped this.
  22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree with most of the above. Buksa, clearly the hero, and not just because of the goal. Jones will be hard to sit, and both Bye and Kessler on the other side very solid, except for perhaps one obvious Kessler misread. Not happy with Bou, Fagundez, Farrell, Zahibo, and Bunbury, but Penilla was really off. Rennicks and Buchanan both clearly talented but so raw. Gil can't get back soon enough, and I'm really hoping that when Buttner takes the field, they find a place for Jones.

23. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our best player has missed the first 2 games and it really shows. We had opportunities but didn't put them away. I get "mad" when we have opportunities to score and we can't put it on frame. I much prefer to give the goalie credit for a great save, rather than watch a great opportunity sail over the crossbar by a mile. As others have posted, I like Jones and hope he plays when Buttner is ready. My hope is that when Gil and Buttner return, we remove 2 of our current midfielders.

Cannons repped this.
  24. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally agree about Kessler, though his evident lack of footspeed worries me a little.

Fagundez, what can I say? He's not a holding mid, and it speaks volumes about holes in the roster that he's been asked to play that role.

Buchanon looks lively, and I want to see more of him.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched ATL vs CIN last night. I was curious how they would look without Martinez. Adam Jahn is a far cry from Martinez. Even so, ATL without Martinez is still much better than the Revs without Gil.

Yes, it was only Cincy, and Cincy is a train wreck right now, but they have brought in some good players. Kubo scored on a long distance knuckler that wrong-footed Guzan, and Locadia looks to me like he will be a double-digit goal-scorer this year. I thought Cincy played every bit as good as Chicago did against the Revs.

Atlanta's passing and decision making were just impressive to watch.