P/I/P Match 19: Revs @ NYC, Sat 7/9/22 1:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 5, 2022.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. Andrew Farrell and Tommy Mac need to watch the film from last Sunday and see how they f'd us over with dumb play.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, I guess that's the rule. I pine for the days when the 'laws' gave the referees discretion - I thought that was one of the good things that made the game unique from other sports. Sure, there would be games where the ref's judgement would be questioned, but now we have these strict interpretations (including with VAR) that are pretty nonsensical.

It used to be that when players went down on their own, their chance of earning a pk was generally nullified by an angry ref - and as a result that tactic was less prevalent and less coached. Now, players are taught to go down when they feel any contact at all, as we saw in this case - how can that be good for the game? Okay, old man rant over.
    I think he's fantastic as far as skill, athletic ability and shot-stopping. I think his distribution can definitely improve a lot.

The other factor is communication/coordination with the defense. The one play where he was drawn out and both he and Kessler went to the shooter, leaving the easy pass and virtual tap-in was a glaring lack of coordination among defenders. I can't put that on Petrovic individually, but they have to find a way to be better in these fire-drill situations and not have everyone panicking and going after the ball-handler.
    McNamara had a bunch of missed dangerous tackles from behind, in addition to defensive misplays - he was lucky not to get red-carded.

Revs in 2010 and BERich repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instant Replay spends 4 minutes on the 3 PKs (starting at 2:10).

Their conclusions:
    1: clear PK
    2: no PK
    3: split (outside the box), agreed on DOGSO

edcrocker and patfan1 repped this.
  5. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought the second one was a penalty. The replay they showed wasn't very good, but to me, it looked like 2 NYCFC guys ran into each other. With a little help from Kessler. Having said that, I have always felt it was karma when a penalty that wasn't is called and the goalie saves it or they miss the penalty.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically what most of us said..

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    On the third, Wiebe seems fixated on his view that Farrell is holding (and that it continued into the area), yet that's not what the replays showed. You can see Farrell's hands and they never grab - what he did was put a forearm on Castellano's back (not violently) and shove with the forearm - there's never a grab or a hold. Castellano's twisting fall makes it look like there must have been a grab, but that's why they call it simulation.

Revs in 2010 repped this.