P/I/P: Match 18, Revs vs HOU 6/29/2019, 7:30PM ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 28, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England Revolution vs. Houston Dynamo | 2019 MLS Match Preview
    Dylan Butler
    Jun 26, 2019

Lemieux Previeux | Revs aim to keep building as they kick off season’s second half vs. Dynamo
    June 28, 2019, 12:04PM EDT
    Jeff Lemieux

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raise your hand if you thought Brandon Bye would be the 5th on the Revs goal-scoring chart at the halfway point of the season...

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    With Ellis returning from intl duty with Honduras, I expect to see Jones at LB. Castillo was generally good against Phili (until he started makingnlong attacking runs and not tracking), but he doesnt have the pace to keep up in this one.

Also with the comments from Bruce about Penilla's fitness I wouldn't be surprised tonsee a change at LW (maybe Diego?).

5. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was fun!

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • I am so unaccustomed to the Revs winning.

• The new drinking game for watching at home: Every time Paul says "I think X is going to be a little upset with himself....", bottoms up!

• Diego was awful, and he knew it. His face at the end of the game spoke volumes. Scotty is also waaaay down the bench.

• JA immediately looked better when he shifted to the middle.

• I see no reason for Castillo to start ahead of Jones. Ever. Nor would I miss Delamea, JF Caicedo, Zahibo, and probably Mancienne

• I have never been a Teal supporter, except as a human being, but he has never played better than he has over the last month. I have to admit I was wrong. He's worth keeping.

• Rennicks also looked like a pro player, or at least a worthwhile project.

• Is it just me, or does Knighton anticipate/come off his line much better than Turner?

• Playing the Arena mind meld game - I'm guessing that we are going to pick up attacking players - more bad news for DF.

TOAzer, dcochran and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see a Revs team come from behind and win with a late goal rather than it always being the other way around.

It is hard to know what has happened with Teal, but the change has been remarkable. Earlier in the season his shot for the goal would have gone out for a throw-in rather than comfortably getting slotted in. Penilla and Caicedo2 are getting into good positions and CP’s cross to set up Teal was excellent, but they both need a bit of whatever has helped Teal to improve their shooting.

It is interesting to see the difference in JA when he plays in the middle. His play as an 8 a few games back was a revelation. His faster speed of play in the middle combined with his foot skills have been a big factor in the Revs improved performance. I wonder if it is easier for him to zone out when he’s on the edge and the play isn’t pinging around him. Once he slows down he can’t get back up to speed reliably. Who knows, but I hope he stays in the middle of things.

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I love what Arena has done to this team. We have exactly the same people that Friedel had but we are now getting points where as BF had us dead last. Its nice to win a game late and see the team play with confidence.
    I am surprised though on how much Diego has slipped and how Caldwell seems to have no place on this team anymore.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the tying goal, I thought Delemea was kind of a weak link out there - perhaps a function of not having been in the first team often. I like JFC - he pulls off a really slick move about once per match - but he has to show more.

Is Buchanan injured?

10. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I think I've observed correctly was that Friedel never admitted when he was wrong and publicly threw his players under the bus. Just this morning, I read an article in Boston.com and Arena was quoted saying something to the affect that the formation he put out there against Houston in the first half might have made the players unsure and uncomfortable. So what does he do as a good coach? He makes an adjustment and look at the results... a goal shortly into the 2nd half and then the winner comes after he brings in Penilla. I believe he is teaching his team how to be resilient and how to close out matches!

RevsLiverpool, TOAzer and NFLPatriot repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit curious as to why people are surprised by Teal. It's been noted year after year, he goes off on hot streaks for about a dozen games, then disappears. If this streak continues the rest of the year, then it will actually be something different for him.

Great win. You could feel the joy in that stadium. The atmosphere was better. There was actually an excitement post-game of what could be coming up. I still don't expect much from this year (making the playoffs would be a great point, with a home game), but now the expectations for next year start ratcheting up. And that's how it should be.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah-f'n-men! ;)

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Teal, he did this last year then disappeared for 4+ months. Bou is nice insurance for when Teal goes cold.