P/I/P Match 17: Revs @ NYRB, Sat 07/31/21 6:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 28, 2021.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance, if we need him, Tajon could play the last 10-15? I'm assuming he's heading back to the team today.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering that, too. But I think it's too risky injury-wise. He played 90 vs Mexico, then has to travel from Texas to Foxboro, then to NJ, in 48 hours. The Revs have another game Wednesday, save him for that.

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id see how he feels and if he wants to go some on Saturday. Hes young. Fly straight to NJ and meet the team there

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Arena's injury update:

Buksa - available
    Jones - available
    Bell - out

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got the Revo to win this at 1.86 to 1. We're the top of the league. For the first time ever we have decent depth. Buksa goes down, plug in Bunbury. Mafla has been good. We had great teams in the Nicol era, but they were paper thin.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview | Revs reach season’s midway point with Saturday night visit to Red Bulls
    By Jeff Lemieux
    Friday, Jul 30, 2021, 03:43 PM

8. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good to see Buchanan back. Unfortunately, Revs starting at what has become typical ~ weak and disorganized at the early part of the match...

9. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Chapeau! La Révolution! Well done!

10. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team, man...this f'ing team...they just keep finding ways.

A Casual Fan, pwykes and Sachem07 repped this.
  11. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This comment right here. Every other year, it's been "how can we ******** this 3-0 victory up?" and finding a way.

Its great to go down early and know that we're gonna pull it out and be right.

I ********in love this team.

Revs In First :) and pwykes repped this.
  12. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great comeback. Buksa was a beast all night. Bou’s goal may have been even better than last week’s. It is so out of character (in a good way) for us to get 12 points out of these games with Turner and Tajon gone. There wereso many ways to let heads down and accept a loss or draw.

Maybe we are just spoiled, but I’m thinking we need to be looking for a new #2 keeper. I’m not convinced Matt lets in either goal. Brad wasn’t in position on the first and was wrong-footed and then slow on the second. He has had enough games to settle in. If he’s our #1 next year it won’t be pretty.

rkupp, pwykes and BERich repped this.
  13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 RevsRule, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    I thought we were done when they scored first. Then was happy we tied only to WOW a win!!!!!

Nice to see Justin Rennicks make a game day roster,.... not that I think Arena will ever use him

Matt's contract - He reupped recently https://nesn.com/2021/01/matt-turne...th-revolution-pay-raise-rewards-stellar-play/

We have him for 3 or 4 more years if we want to hold him but I think with WC qualifying coming up followed by the WC... we need to get stronger at goalie. Brad is not a starter.

I still wish we had kept Lee. He really could have added a lot with this team

14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to imagine that they don't expect to hold him for the entire term. The contract extension was a way to make sure he got his just rewards in a pay raise in the short term while making sure we can sell him for something when the timing is right. I fully expect both Turner and Buchanan to be transferred after this year, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Buksa was gone after this year too. MLS is a selling league and the Revs actually have some salable assets.

That's why this year is so huge for chasing a trophy and qualification to international competition. There are likely to be changes, and if we win something and/or get into League Cup/Champions League it makes us a more attractive destination for potential replacements.

We all of course want MLS Cup. It's the ultimate domestic prize. But while the general sporting public will see the Supporters' Shield as the equivalent of NHL's Presidents Trophy, I think those of us here see that as a hugely coveted title. And on that front last night was massive since both Seattle and SKC lost. Halfway through the season, we have a four point lead. I hate the unbalanced schedule with so many teams still having a lot of games in hand. But we have 36 points after 17 games - the most anyone else could have is 33 points after 17 games. The second half is the business end of the season and its going to be a grind...but its there for them if they can keep from major dips in form.

pwykes repped this.
  15. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My random thoughts about the game:

Again the Revs start off slow; against better competition that could bite them on the back side.

I thought Turner would have stopped that first goal. On the second goal, DeLaGarza was just too short, not his fault! At the start of the season, several posters said we need another CB. At the time I thought, no we don't; I've changed my mind on that issue. When you start with 3 CBs and one gets called for National team duty and another gets hurt...oops.

The first yellow card originally went to T Mac. Then with a few minutes left in the half, he was running around cleaning out people. I was screaming at the TV to get him off the field before we go down to 10 men. Why they later changed it to Farrell, I have no idea. I think T Mac's role with this team is the last 15 or 20 minutes of a game. When he plays longer than that he gets tired and starts hacking people down. So far he has gotten away with it, but one of these days he will get red carded and we don't need that in a critical game.

At the beginning of the season, everything went thru Gil. I've noticed lately that the whole team has contributed to their success. Teams try to shut Gil down and deny him the ball and the Revs just move the ball thru other players. Bye and Jones have played well for example. Gil is still the most important player, but now the team realizes that the ball doesn't have to 100% travel thru him to be successful. Also, it's nice that the Revs have figured out how to have Buksa and Bou on the field at the start of games. The NY announcers were ranting about how hard it is to defend against Buksa and Bou when they are both on the field together.

A Casual Fan and pwykes repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First regular season away win vs RBNY at their park. Man, we needed that one.

pwykes repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs helped themselves, and got help from below-the-line teams, as SJE beat SEA, DAL beat SKC, TOR drew NSH, and CHI earned their first road point of the season in PHI.

ATL tried, but ORL also came back from down 2-1 to win 3-2, moving up to 2nd in the East.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Brad has always had a weakness on long distance shots for some reason, and showed it again on the opening goal from Carmona. I'm OK with him as the #2 (he is 4-1-0 filling in), but if Turner leaves, I don't want Brad as the #1. Maybe Joe Rice can step in from R2, but I'd need to see him against MLS competition before handing him the keys. More likely someone from outside the org.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bou trying to win GotW twice in a row:

Although I think he'll have a tough time beating Rayan Raveloson's bicycle...

20. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've been telling myself for the last few weeks not to get too excited about this team. Many of us have been burned too many times for too many years. We all know the history.

But this game has convinced me that I need to enjoy this team right now and bury the past.

This team is great. It is fun. It is pure joy to watch. It is now. And I am living in the moment and I am loving it.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil (approaching permanent resident status here), with Buksa making the bench:

Team of the Week: FC Dallas continue renaissance in Week 16
    By Jonathan Sigal
    Monday, Aug 2, 2021, 01:57 PM

Gil now with 15 assists (ORL's Pereyra in 2nd place with 7), on pace for 30. He is 4 away from Ralston's Revs record of 19.

22. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Purely curious, how many games did the Revs play the year Rally set that record?

23. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the 2002 season; Ralston earned 19 assists in 27 appearances (out of 28 games in the regular season).

Sachem07 repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    To put a fine-point on how fine the difference is between clinical finishers and other scorers - look at how Buksa and Bou use the woodwork. For Buksa it's a barrier, for Bou it's a tool.

That was a pretty nasty, frenetic game from RBNY - it enabled them to get the lead twice, but wasn't the best way to hold a lead. The Revs got chances throughout, so it was just a matter of them finding the range eventually.

I agree, that was not good goalkeeping from Knighton - those are the kind of shots you expect your keeper to handle.

Each time Dejuan Jones is out for a few games or more, it takes him significant time to settle into his rhythm again.

The boys held up very well during the international absences, but boy am I glad they are all returning. Turner will probably get rested for Wednesday, but I would think Buchanon and Kessler will be ready to go.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barring a playoff match up, Revs are now done with the Red Bulls this year, going 3-0-0, and scoring 9 goals (3 each game).

A Casual Fan repped this.