P/I/P Match 16: Revs vs MON, Sun 07/25/21 6:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 23, 2021.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England vs. Montréal: Sunday, July 25th at 6:00 PM ET
    mlssoccer.com

Revs were 3-0-0 vs MON last year, but Club de Foot has quietly put together a strong season, currently sitting 5th in the East on 22 pts (8 behind the Revs). Mason Toye leads the club with 6 goals, no other player has more than 2.

They are coming off a 1-0 loss to NYC on Wed, after returning home to Montreal last weekend for the first time post-pandemic in a wild 5-4 win over CIN, coming back from a 4-2 deficit.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview | Revs aim to make it three wins in a week as they host CF Montréal on Sunday
    By Jeff Lemieux
    Saturday, Jul 24, 2021, 04:15 PM

3. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    At 15 mins., Montréal impressive for possession. Revs. unimpressive for coordinated mid-field and defense. Yet another “slow” start for the Revs.

4. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bou translated into English is”BOOM”

what a cannon shot!!!!

5. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Don’t know how this works in MLS, but I have the impression that this referee needs to be reviewed, disciplined, sanctioned. Penalties differential ought to be starkly imbalanced.

6. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bangu!

Overlapping run to the goal line with a centering pass to the penalty spot for a one time finish ….thats as pretty of a goal that you will see

7. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    “Sloppy defending” is right! Three Revs. defenders ball watched that ball right into the goal and made no move at all to stop it!

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top of the league.

That is all.

MM66, A Casual Fan, teskicks and 2 others repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nine points in nine days. PHI dropped points in MIA (1-1 draw). ORL got blown out by NYC 5-0. Seven points up on second-place Nashville in the East. Everything is coming up roses.

upload_2021-7-26_9-5-38.png

Steve_R repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Bye ignored a wide-open Traustason to take a low-percentage shot one time, but then got into the area and made the pinpoint pass to Bou for goal #2.

I really don't get why the Bunbury goal called offsides didn't get a full VAR review - it certainly looked inch close. MLS insults its fans by not having more transparency about plays like that. We are left to infer from the referee's behavior what happened. Did the ref decide not to review it? Was there a 'quick' review from MLS Central and communication with the ref? Did the reffing crew even realize how close the play was? And that level of opacity is with the benefit of the telecast - I know from experience that in the stadium you have even less idea of what's going on.

For the most part, Mafla played well - but I think Arena really needed to get him off earlier. I understand with the absences/injuries, defensive subs were pretty limited, but Mafla's mistakes seemed to compound in the late stages, suggesting he was worn down.

In the post-game, Arena mentioned that he was expecting Jones to be back this week, so that will help.

I guess we can add one more way that Gil has managed to not score in the run of play - he's hit posts, hit teammates, now a delayed offside ...

That long-range threat of Bou's is amazing. The power/placement may be unmatched in MLS - and it opens up so much, just having the threat to launch a laser from 30 yards in.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hope Buksa and Bell are okay, but neither looked good coming off. It seemed like Buksa might have dodged a bullet when he stayed on, but was clearly feeling enough effects to realize he needed to take himself off. The concussion protocol is going to take some flak after that episode.

Bell seemed unable to put his full weight on his leg, so that doesn't look good at all. We have DeLaGarza and Verfurth available - with Kessler still away - I wonder if they'll bring up anyone else from R2.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  12. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs played quite well for stretches of the game. The ball movement, breaking pressure in the first half was impressive. I thought the 3 subs in the second half caused them to sputter a little bit. Knighton has looked better; I will chalk up the first few games as rust.

My random thought during the game last night was; why aren't there any clubs breaking down the door to get Gil!! The talk has been about Tajon, Turner, and possibly Kessler and Buksa moving to Europe, but not a peep about Gil, who is probably the best player in MLS. I know that that group of players are younger, but Carlos will only be 29 this year. I mean, PSG signed Ramos, who is 35 and past his sell-by date. I'm happy he's staying, because if we lose everybody; it's back to square one! :eek:

A Casual Fan and sean'o repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be next man up for Bruce, so DeLaGarza or Verfurth. If they bring someone up for R2, they would have to sign them. I like what I have seen from Sean O'Hearn, but MIN owns his MLS rights, so that would require a trade to get him on the first team. Pierre Cayet has done well at CB also, 22-year-old from France, played for Temple U from 2018-20. Unless he is on someone's discovery list, he should be free to sign.

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we didn't have turf, but instead had proper grass with shading so we could see cross-field lines more clearly, I think Charlie would be right. But if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their booties....

NFLPatriot repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for the Walpole Joe Morgan quote. :D

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bou now has nine goals on the year in sixteen games. Teal Bunbury led the team with 8 goals last year (23 games).

If Bou scores at RBA this weekend, that will give him 10 at the half way point of the season, putting him on pace for 20.

Only one Rev has ever score 20+ in one season: Taylor Twellman (23 in 2002).
    Second on the Revs single-season goal list is a tie at 18 goals:
    Raul Diaz Arce (1998)
    Lee Nguyen (2014)

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes! I meant to mention that myself - he looked much better, thank goodness. We might just survive until Turner gets back (though, if/when Turner leaves, I don't want to be left with Knighton as my #1).
    Because he's played in the PL and La Liga and teams have seen what he can do there. He may be better now than he was, but his lack of size/strength would be a killer in the more physical leagues and I'm not sure his passing/dribbling skills would stand out in the more technical leagues.

I think he's found his sweet spot in MLS because his best skills are those that are most lacking in MLS. And, let's not forget, that having killer B's like Bou, Buksa and Buchanon present him with a lot of assist opportunities.

Pre-Arena, when we had much less talent on the field, though Gil was clearly the class of the team, he wasn't nearly as effective as he is now.
    I know that how the rule is, but the rule is stupid. On offsides, if you can't say definitively that a player is in offside position at the critical moment, then the foul should not be called. Whatever the original call was, should be irrelevant - getting the play right should be paramount.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001