P/I/P: Match 14, Revs @ MON 5/18/2019, 1:00PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, May 17, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a good indicator whether the home win vs SJ was a new coach bonus or whether Lapper is able to get results with this group on a more consistent basis. If course with Arena taking over it won't matter a lot in the longer term but given they won in Foxboro after a travel nightmare, I'd like some instant gratification.

3. seamusmagoo

seamusmagoo New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Aug 12, 2018
    Given all of the uncharacteristically good news lately, it is probably too much to expect a win today.
    It is great to be feeling optimistic again though.

4. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Depends which Montreal show up on their dat they are one of the best in the league when they are off their easily one of the lackluster teams

5. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is that Bruce is watching and forming opinions. Taking the day off may seal your fate!!!

6. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh wow. We are all so jaded: this is comment #6 and the match has been over for hours. I guess one of a few sunny nice days will account for that, given the matinée game.

Honestly, I have watched very little of the team this year after seeing how poor they looked early on. This is the first match I have watched live in probably two months (on TV I mean, not in person. Haven't been to Foxboro in years now).

A fair enough goalless draw. Whatevs. While there are shortcomings all over the pitch, lord do they need a finisher.

If they had a lazy-but-does-what's-needed / me-first striker type, they would be more of a threat. Granted you can't be a champion with that kind of player, but you could at least make the MLS playoffs.....

7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I thought Lapper got almost everything right today.

Montreal was aggressively attacking Castillo on the left and he was an obvious liability, so he made a quick sub. His replacement, Jones, was a bright spot on the pitch. His 2nd sub, Fagundez, was invisible for his hour on the pitch. His replacement was Buchanon, who I thought picked up a knock vs Chelsea, pushed Agudelo inside and made the Revs attack even more threatening. The only issue was a lack of a scorer, like say JFC. Bunbury is great at punishing teams that try to play a high back line, but when a team sits back he doesnt really offer much attacking threat. He added to his "shot that went out for a throw in" total tonight when what the team needed was someone unafraid to take a shot

a517dogg and TOAzer repped this.
  8. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I’m pretty sure Lapper will get offers for a coaching position as soon as someone else is sacked in the year

9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Got a feeling Arena will want for of a "yes" man as an assistant. I think Lapper would be too much of a challenge for him. A Dave Sarachan type (but not Dave).

I dont think many helped their case last night. Some hurt themselves. I think Teal's days are numbered. He's not a CF and is not what Arena wants. Others as well. I see a massive purge coming ASAP

Guess Ill have to work on changing my picture here lol

RevFan repped this.
  10. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that Lapper made good decisions with his subs. A point away and a clean sheet (Thank you Jalil!) against a team that beat us 3-0 at home is very welcome. That said, the match was a serious throwback to MLS 1.0. Jones was our most threatening player by channeling Jamar Beasley and running very fast. OK, more skilled than Jamar, but mostly fast. The pitch was appalling and made clean play by both teams a challenge, but the quality of passing was atrocious. The Revs weren't winning second balls which isn't going to play well with Da Bruce. If passing was bad, finishing was worse. Teal hasn't endangered as many spectators as Khano did, but he may be approaching his shots for throw-ins numbers.

sean'o repped this.
  11. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it would be harder to have a shot go out by way of the touchline than the goal line, but Teal manages to make it look easy. Yesterday's was amazing... he was 3 feet from the goal!

Gil is way better than anyone on the roster... when finding another DP or 2 I've wondered if he is the #1 DP to build around, or would he actually be a better complement to a star? It's hard to make an assessment given the lack of talent on the roster. He's obviously talented, but how would he look on roster like Seattle, Toronto, or Atlanta?

TOAzer repped this.
  12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4pts under Lapper!!!! OUT of the Basement! Bruce was right, we can only go up from here! Watched the game last night. While 1pt on the road is always good, neither team were impressive. Diego is definitely in a rut. You can sense the tension and frustration when he was subbed. I thought he was going to throw something

TOAzer repped this.
  13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Diego needs to figure out where his game disappeared to? He is not the player he once was and he may not fit into da Bruce's plans if he doesnt figure it out?
    I wonder if he who shall not be named would have stayed if the recent changes had happened last year? His stock at LAFC has slipped since his injury.

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think that Franken Friedel destroyed Diego's confidence.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do - Juan Fernando Caicedo. He didn't play in this match as Lapper started Bunbury instead. You're right though, this match was begging for a Kei Kamara type to bag one and take the 3 pts.

Doublecard repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego was pissy when he was taken off so maybe there's more to this story. If you have a bad attitude AND you aren't producing, you should not get minutes.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was shocked when we weren't behind after the first half. We were a shambles defensively. If Montreal had a finisher, we could have been down 3 at the half.

Much better in the second half.

Lapper seems to not have any confidence in JFC for some reason.

Fun game to be at though, gorgeous day for it.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what is going on here but really JFC has been the only person scoring from the run of play the past few games. Not sure why the hot foot was cast a side for Teal

rkupp repped this.
  19. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Field looked horrible on TV.
    Jones for Castillo was a great coaching move and almost paid off fantastically with Jones' 80 yard run. How he had the oxygen left in his brain to pull off a nutmeg at full speed after that run was incredible. Evan Bush stopped what would have been a goal-of-the-season nominee.
    Anibaba MOTM, Jones #2. Gil was also pretty effective.

Interesting to see that we got zero shots, blocked shots or key passes from the right side of the field. We must have been targeting Brault-Guillard and avoiding Lovitz.

upload_2019-5-20_13-40-34.png

That key pass from Gil in our own half was what set Jones up on his run. The time on the pass was 36:11, the shot was 13 seconds later from the 6-yd box.

upload_2019-5-20_13-44-3.png

VTSoccerFan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time we saw a sub come in the game and immediately make an impact? I could probably count on both hands going back to the start of the Heaps era it has been so infrequent. You have limited subs to use, and the past 2 coaches seemed to have so little tactical acumen that the idea of bringing on Player X for a lackluster Player Y because he saw a way to change the flow of the game has been a totally foreign concept.

21. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Can I say that since we are in rebuilding mode, give Jones and Buchanan the starting jobs? I'm not impressed with Castillo - felt Rowe was a better left back than Castillo. Buchanan offers more already than Diego or Teal. Looking forward to the garage sale.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, we are in evaluation mode. Everyone will get a chance under the watchful eye of Bruce.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe wasn't a better left back than anyone in the league but I agree with you on starting the rookies.

25. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bright side, maybe they are a little more talented than they've shown over the past few weeks/months.

On the down side, if they are more talented, then that means the roster is infested with guys who laid down on their coach and every single one of them needs to go.