P/I/P Game 9: LA Galaxy "at" Vancouver Whitecaps 06/23/21, 7:30 PT on Spectrum SportsNet

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Jun 21, 2021.

1. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wild ending. I don't think Dunbar can play in this league, he was laughable on the Vancouver goal. Not impressed.

I've lost track of how many times Bond has saved us this year. We are nowhere near our Win - loss record if we still have Bingham.

3 points, let's go beat San Jose.

TrickHog, skydog, LenPa and 2 others repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Just a point of interest on the last games discussing the YDP vs the 3rd DP being a limited to a TAM conforming salary. Cavalinni fits that profile. He might fit with Chicharito better, but on an overall basis, I would rather have Cabrall and $412k of salary cap space.

TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nice boring 1-0 win for Gs ;)

TrickHog, Skevin, LenPa and 1 other person repped this.
  4. LenPa

LenPa Member

TSV 1860 München
    Germany
    May 12, 2021
    Munich
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As you mentioned, 3 points are the most important things and Bond really has saved us several times.

Just forgot about it but had a look at the highlights again and one time he was flying through the box without a plan (but fortunately nothing happens). This can happen and is alright, just looked really funny.

TrickHog and JPAR repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2021-6-24_7-36-45.png
    Out of all the top teams (Shield Standings) we look the weakest (goals against goals for AND goal difference).
    1: Bond is keeping us afloat
    2: Our attack is a little anemic. Hopefully our young guns can help out Chich a bit more as they get under their footing and gel chemistry wise.
    3: Our defense is all over the place. No issue with our full backs, but our centerbacks are decimated, injury and red cards. Hopefully that will settle out as the season goes on.
    4: However, we have shown a willingness to grind out results, our ppg is tied for 3rd. Earlier this season, I got a lot of rhetoric from announcers about "suffering", our team can suffer a game, and still pull off a late game stunner (Thanks Efrain!), when the last few seasons they might have given up.

I'm not overly happy but I'm satisfied so far (given all the changes we've had).

Berks, 73Bruin, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  6. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Didn't work. I tried to see if I could sign up through the app. When i would go to the + "tab" at the bottom of the screen (using android app) and then press the sign up button, it would tell me it had connections issues...even though I could watch their free clips with no issues. So I gave up.

TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a few quotes here and there from Vanney post game. But I can never easily find the media availabilities online. You'd think that would be a very easy piece of content that lagalaxy.com would throw up every single time there is media questions but they often do not and I end up finding it on random fan pages or CofG or others.

Anyone know where the post game press conferences can be found?

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We are still very much an up and down team. This game was not pretty. That first half was boring af. Second half we had a nice passing play and capitalized on it, but after that, it looked like we were playing for the 1-0 win. I knew when Fischer came on we'd also be in trouble especially when he only had Dunbar for support. Dunbar is basically our new Boateng. All pace, but that can be good late game. I'd switch to a 4-4-2 late game and stick Dunbar as more of a second striker/#10 so he can just run, and have someone more defensively solid cover the wing.

Other than that, it's a good road victory, and man that was a sweet striker by Alvarez. We got lucky with that one, but hey at least we pushed for it after conceding and didn't accept the draw.

JPAR, 73Bruin, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Dunbar and hope he improves but he's half the player (right now) that Ema was for us.

Berks, JPAR, napper and 5 others repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hav77, TrickHog and Bilgediver repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It bodes well for the team that Vanney is throwing teenagers onto the field to close out a game in the last 30 minutes. To see Saldena and Dunbar and Efra come on the field with a big job to do and, ultimately, succeed is great for their development and for the team going forward.

It's hard to bring young players along in MLS and the Galaxy for sure has been pretty poor at it. Vanney seems to be getting it done and it should pay off for us over time.

Berks, 73Bruin, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  12. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Lol! yeah, Cobi does do that. Joe was a really good sports guy back in the day. He kept his finger on the pulse of many sports and was a go-to guy for when you needed your sports fix.

When Joe has a good point or is simply right and Cobi waves him off with his "oh, trust me, I know what I'm talking about Joe" I just shake my head. Having played the game as pro is cool but there are other people who can get the game without having played.

Geneva, The Cadaver, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you for the update, I'm going to look into some other options, if I find a solid solution, I will certainly let you know

kgzero and TrickHog repped this.
  14. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Sounds like a plan. I hope it work just as good in real life as it does on paper Duke.

Because just taking a negative look at the situation it looks like we will have a useless Cabral for 2,3 year but now that Araujo is blowing up we will lose him by end of this year. Some speculate he's gone by the summer window which means we didn't get the benefit of a productive Araujo for even a year. That's not too encouraging but I understand it's a long-term strategy. Hope it pans out.

Thanks for the breakdown Duke. Love the moniker.

hav77, TrickHog and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I blame myself really. We are quite a bit different than recent past years. There is hope now and we are growing. I just took how we started the season and Chicha, Bond, Vanney, our standing and declared to myself...
    images.jpg
    We are not back, sadly. We simply took a U-turn and are now going the right direction. Some of you already know that. I had to get slapped across the noggen with yesterday's performance to get it. Agree that our current position belies our true condition. Seattle lets us know we are not there in no uncertain terms but looking at the league, we are not even close to New England, Orlando, KC.

Oh well. At least we got 3 points in the satchel. Let's move on.

GALAXY!!!

Geneva, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right back at you.

As far as the lack of usage for araujo, he did help you make the playoffs the first season. That was on gbs for benching him in the playoffs for feltscher and the giancarlo experience at rb. Gbs was a crappy manager. I think we can agree w/ that and that vanney's been a big upgrade.

I'd be tempted to move araujo b4 he hits 20 if he breaks out internationally at gold cup, or maybe just off club play. But it's probably dependent on convincing cuevas. Then you clear a spot for him and likely have a seamless transition as fcd did from cannon to reynolds when they sold the former midseason.

hav77, El Futbolisimo, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feltscher scored a goal against LAFC in the playoffs. We're also not FCD, given our team likes to win things besides #1 MLS academy on mls.com.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giancarlo got skinned at rb. It was the primary reason you lost in the playoffs.

Feltscher was a slug defensively. Araujo was a better rb from the beginning.

Don't know why you'd rationalize for a manager whose plan bombed & should have been canned much earlier.

Galaxy have gotten better results this year by in part having a more modern integration plan from academy to compete.

Fcd bested you last season and won at pdx in the playoffs, in spite of selling cannon midseason. Just could have held onto reynolds longer, as you theoretically could w/ cuevas. Longer-term success at the position. And you can spend transfer fees on better dp's than franco jara.

Philly has been much better than galaxy in recent yrs off just academy products they sold or weren't good enough to and diamonds in the rough.

natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    "The New York Red Bulls have transferred midfielder Caden Clark to Bundesliga side RB Leipzig, it was announced Thursday morning. The 18-year-old will remain with New York for the remainder of the 2021 MLS season."

Speaking of young americans going to Europe. At least if Araujo goes bye-bye we will get some euros in our greedy little hands out of it.

I don't even know how it work for RB since they exist under an umbrella. Does MLS require that NY Red Bulls get some bucks directly out of this transaction or just a wink and a smile?

TrickHog repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not rationalizing, just clarifying facts. Julian Araujo not starting was not really the difference in the playoffs. Araujo also became a starter under Schelotto, not Vanney. I agree with your general point about developing youngsters, especially at positions like RB. The skepticism among Galaxy fans is that nobody's really put together a winning model structured largely around young players. I'm pretty sure the Galaxy and Philly won the same amount of playoff games last season. That's not unique to MLS; there aren't many clubs that are winning much by staffing players from their own academy (someone will mention Barcelona and La Masia, but anyone would be hard-pressed to name a La Masia grad after the class that produced Fabregas, Messi, Pique, etc.)

TrickHog and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  21. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    #196 El Futbolisimo, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    I have to agree with MP9. Araujo of 2021 is not the same Araujo of back then. Certainly showed great potential but was not as solid and consistent as he is now. I can't put that on Guillermo even tho we all know he was not the right coach for us.

I also wanted to add that both Caden and Julian came out Barca Residency Academy in Casa Grande, Arizona. Interesting tidbit.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunbar looked slow to me. Twice he got beaten to the ball by a defender.

Araujo hasn’t looked good for the national team. Has his stock really risen that much?

Vanney is crazy. But, like a fox, maybe?

23. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think you should wait before making a comparison even a qualified "right now" one. Ema was 22 before he played a game on the senior squad, while Dunbar was signed to a senior contract at 17 and is now a ripe old 18 and won't turn 19 until October 22. He is also 15 pounds lighter and has played less than 3 games total. Ema also played with a much older and talented roster in 2016 (Bruce's last year). FWIW, one area of comparison is the possible is the rate of passes completed and Dunbar is ever so slightly ahead.

Berks, skydog, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree with your points. I personally thought that this was the best that I have seen of both Cabral and Grandsir and think there is still a lot more room for improvement.

Going into this year, I was expecting that rebuilding could take 2 years. Getting into the playoffs seemed a laudable, if uncertain, goal. I am looking forward to see Raveloson and hope he can help with the defense. On an overall basis, I am very surprised by what Vanney and the FO have accomplished thus far. I am curious to see what they do with the three U-22 initiative player slots and if they will use any of them this year.

MPNumber9, TrickHog, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not facts, rather opinion, unsupported much by the facts.

The facts were, galaxy lost 5-3. The offense was good enough, but the defense sucked. Giancarlo was part of that d. And as a slow-footed cb, deployed as a rb, he was getting owned by lafc's wings. Araujo had the speed to keep up and did earlier in the season in helping galaxy to victory against them. That also involved him contributing to a goal. Giancarlo was a zero in that dept also. It was a harebrained decision by gbs, which was the type of thing that contributed to your underachievement under him and his ultimate, overdue dismissal.

Those are the facts, frankly that are a lot more compelling, supporting the opinion that gbs should have started him then, it very conceivably could have led to further advancement then, and he's already had significant value to you which could have been more.

As far as samples abroad who've had domestic and european success as sellers out of secondary leagues, they are many - psv, salzburg, genk, etc. Everybody does in non top 5's to a good degree. It's a reality from a cost-benefit. You're not generating near the most revenue or playing for the biggest crowns.

And mls has a playoff system. One -offs are volatile. In them in ccl nyrb & philly have had comparative success to mls. In league only 1 team of 20-some can win. For both those teams to have had the best regular season record in recent yrs says something about the model's viability.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.