P/I/P Game 2: LA Galaxy v. Portland Timbers, Sun. 3/15 4:00pm PDT (at Portland)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by shelbo, Mar 11, 2015.

1. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]vs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My weak attempt at a gif (Portland timbers fail? - Hey, give me a break, it's 4 days before the game, and it's left to a rookie to start the thread!)

2. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, go with Rowe?

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Rowe will start unless Bruce had other reasons to bench Penedo other than form.

Wouldn't mind seeing the new kids play as well.

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penedo is getting called up by his national team for two games in March. I haven't looked at the dates but assume he will be missing some time with the Galaxy. It's a good time to give Rowe a run and see what he can do.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did great! Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Berks, WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the same starting lineup and the same substitution pattern. Although we could see AJ, Husidic and Penedo in for Gargan, Walker and Rowe - if they all show that they are 100% fit during the week's training...

WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did Walker not play well?

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was good. I just think that Husidic is better and allows Juninho to play the role he is more comfortable playing.

That said, on the road Arena might go more defensive minded and start Walker again.

Ghosting, LEM-LAG, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  9. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Portland is a tough place to play. I will be very happy with a point out of this match.

10. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree except I'd rather see AJ for Leo - trade size for speed (and soccer IQ).

11. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think we'll see José starting again for this one? Or does the call go to the more experienced Husidic?

12. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Portland is a cauldron but I can't remember the last time they had a good game at home. I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce put out a more attack minded lineup and go for it but we all know that won't happen. I think we play for a tie and hope to steal a winning goal at some point. It's the wisest thing to do.

As for Rowe/Penedo, I'm of the opinion that at this point you let Rowe play himself out of the lineup. He has very good moments in goal and I'd like to see him get an extended run. Away from home though and in Portland? Wouldn't be surprised to see the experienced keeper out there.

I'm also curious to see if the new guys and Buddle(I can't call him a new guy anymore!) get a run out.

I predict a 2-1 win. Keane with a wonder goal that is canceled out by a Leo own goal followed by a Gordon winner late in the game.

pastor and Geneva repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What about our new midfielder, Vanxeiousnkxo? Do we know if he will be available? If so I expect him to get some playing time.

14. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Villarreal gets the start again. The G's have invested a lot of time in him. I found it interesting that during preseason, Bruce said that Villarreal had to really learn to be a professional. Then, after the game I believe, he said that Villarreal had become one. I forget the exact words but that was the jist. This is Villarreal's year.

matbluvenger repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Husidic will get sub time before he starts, so I expect Walker will be trotted out again, which means Jose on the left.

The key question is going to be AJ and whether he starts. Sneaky suspicion he will start on the right.

16. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep. Now is the time to learn while the season is early. Playing mid he will need to learn how to defend and also learn how to combine with Rogers moving into the forward positions.

17. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think Bruce will treat the center back position with Leo and AJ like a baseball platoon when both are healthy and fit. If Bruce is concerned more about defense, and the opponent is more speed based then AJ will get the start at CB. If the primary concern is the opponents taller forwards or their threat from set pieces, then Leo will get the start. If Bruce thinks he needs more offense at the start then he will probably put AJ at RB regardless.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    As for Buddle, I read on the LA Galaxy website that he's still injured and he could be out at least one more week.

19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He will want to get AJ playing time and cb is the most logical spot since Omar, Gargan, and Rogers are all doing a good job at the other back line positions. So I hope you are right and we see AJ at cb frequently.

But based on Bruce actions last season and recent comments my guess is that he is going to start Leo at cb 90% of the time unless he picks up a knock. If he does then I don't know how he is going to work AJ onto the field. He will have to either bench Gargan or move Rogers to midfield. I'm not a fan of either move but benching Gargan would be the lesser of the evils.

Berks repped this.
  20. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    AJ cannot be match fit yet. He will be on the bench. When he is fit he will play over Gargan no doubt. Leo's big body will be needed against Portland although I feel he is not technically as strong as AJ.

Ghosting and WarGalaxy repped this.
  21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think when AJ is healthy he will get more time at RB then CB as there aren't that many MLS line-ups that feature speed in the forward position.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  22. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be at the game representing, flying out tomorrow. Does anyone know what hotel the team stays at?

Ghosting, napper, FlapJack and 3 others repped this.
  23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, did you miss all of last year or something? The Galaxy are definitely not a team that sits back for a tie and hope to steal a winning goal. Their whole game is possession and high pressure in the offensive half. And a whole lot of attacking, even on the road.

pastor repped this.
  24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the Galaxy game in Portland last year, and stayed at the Nines Hotel, and just by pure coincidence, ran right into Robbie Keane coming out of the elevator as we were going in. I managed only to say "Hi, you're Robbie Keane!" and shook his hand, before getting into the elevator. Also saw Omar in the lobby, but that was about it. So, I think that is a place you might want to check out.

hav77 repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's pretty awesome!

GalaxyOne repped this.