PBP: P/I/P Game 15: LA Galaxy @ New England Revolution, Sun 5/31/2015 at 4:00 PM PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, May 29, 2015.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the basics here, folks - I am on the road, but thought we needed a new thread for this weekend's game.

Broadcast is on Fox Sports.

New England is 2nd place in the East, Galaxy stands at 4th place in the West. Should be a good game - will the Galaxy makeshift lineups pull through another close win? I would take 1-0. I would also love to punish Jones on the backline, but looked like NE moved him to midfield for their last game.

hav77, StillKickin, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep forgetting we played them in the final for some weird reason. There was an article on MLSsoccer.com that said that the Revs were treating this "like any other game" - it look me a good five minutes before I remembered why.

Man, that's totally snooty. Can't get myself to care. :D

Ghosting, dashiel and TrickHog repped this.
  3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    My recollection is in seasons following us beating New England in the final they absolutely hammer us in the next regular season game. So I expect to lose and badly, but I'd take that deal every year.

Hushx and TrickHog repped this.
  4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because you kept your head down most of the time because you were so anxious? Heeheehee.

hav77, Ghosting, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could be true!

TrickHog repped this.
  6. King Koopa

King Koopa Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict a tie as the outcome of this game, although I always prefer to win.

We didn't do too well last game as far as opportunities and shots on target created. New England has players that are dynamic and have great chemistry together, something we haven't seen from Galaxy recently. It would have to be up to Omar and the rest of the backline to keep a clean sheet and motivate our attacking players.

7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Don't forget Nguyen and Tierney are suspended for this one. An other good occasion to win an away game, I hope we'll finally win one.

8. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    If Robbie Keane, Robbie Rogers, A.J. DeLaGarza and Todd Dunivant don’t start tomorrow, here is the line-up that I tend to think the Galaxy should start:

--------------------------------------Penedo-------------------------------------

Gargan-----------------Gonzales---------------Leonardo-----------Sorto or Husidic

----------------------------Vayrynen-----------Juninho-------------------------

Ishizaki-------------------------------------------------------------------Husidic

-------------------------------Zardes------------Gordon--------------------------

1. Left Back: Sorto or Husidic?

I could go either way on this. My head says Baggio Husidic my instincts say Oscar Sorto. Sorto played well against Houston. But he also had an unnecessary foul at the end of the game that resulted in a free kick just outside the box and could have resulted in a penalty kick. With a young, inexperienced player like Sorto, those kinds of mistakes are much more likely to happen than with someone as savvy and experienced as Husidic. Also, Husidic wasn’t bad at left back against Orlando and was good at left back on Wednesday against RSL. However, I think Sorto is faster than Husidic, which is important given that whoever starts at left back is likely to be matched up against Teal Bunbury, who is a fast and explosive player. Sorto also might move better laterally than Husidic, and he has played much more outside back in his life than Husidic has.

If I had to make a choice, then, assuming Sorto has looked good in training, I think I would start him. He moves more fluidly and comfortably at left back than Husidic does. But if Sorto starts, he is going to have to be careful of Bunbury and aware of his speed.

2. Right Midfield: Ishizaki or Husidic?

This is another one where I could go either way. Stefan Ishizaki missed the last game with stomach flu. And Husidic has been good for the Galaxy this season, particularly at outside midfield. Also, Husidic has played quite a bit at right midfield for the Galaxy in his time with them. And although Ishizaki has been good for the Galaxy this season, Husidic has arguable been a little better so far. I suspect that he has turned the ball over less frequently. Also, he has tended to play better defensively. This is an especially important consideration given that the Galaxy are playing New England, who likely will start Juan Agudelo at left midfield. Agudelo is a very dangerous player and difficult to contain.

On the other hand, Ishizaki is more dynamic at right midfield than Husidic is. Ishizaki also leads the team in assists with 4; Husidic has only 1. So, if Ishizaki is fully recovered from his stomach flu and has looked good in training, I think I would start him. But if his training this week has been compromised by his illness, I would start Husidic.

3. Left Midfield

If Ishizaki starts at right midfield, it would be reasonable to start either Husidic or Jose Villarreal at left midfield. Villarreal played well at forward in the last game. And prior to his hamstring injury, he played well for the Galaxy at left midfield. Among his other contributions while playing left midfield, he scored 1 goal and had 2 assists.

However, Husidic has been a good player for the Galaxy this season. He is smart and tends to help the team grind out results. He also is much more experienced than Villarreal. Again, this is a close call for me. But I think I would start Husidic. He is the more proven defender. And whoever starts at left midfield is likely to be matched up quite a bit against Bunbury.

However, if I were to start Husidic, I would plan to bring Villarreal into the game in the second half, either at outside midfield or forward.

Another reasonable option for Bruce Arena to start at left midfield is Ignacio Maganto. Maganto played well in the last game and drew the game-winning penalty kick. He also is dynamic, quick and more capable of beating players off the dribble than Husidic or Villarreal. But I probably wouldn’t start him. It would be a lot to ask of a rookie to start on artificial turf against the defending Eastern Conference champions and be matched up against Bunbury.

4. Forward

I would start Gyasi Zardes and Alan Gordon up top. They are both better in the air than Villarreal. And Zardes is faster and more explosive than Villarreal. Gordon is much more experienced than Villarreal and is the team’s leading scorer this year. Gordon’s presence also seems to cause other teams to focus on him, which opens up opportunities for other players.

9. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gargan is Cool.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Aston Villa lost in the FA cup final yesterday, and the Ducks were eliminated at home last night. All I have left is my Galaxy. Please win today. I don't want to watch all three of my favorite teams loss in one weekend.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Day!! Let's do this, boys!

Go Galaxy!!

Geneva repped this.
  12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    [​IMG]

Keane is not even on the bench. Is AJ still hurt?

Irish.Long10 repped this.
  13. Irish.Long10

Irish.Long10 Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane not even on bench? Guses he came back a bit too soon. A blackout for me. Being out of market and not having cable sucks. I feel like mls live has been a waste this year.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That's how I felt last year. The first 10-15 matches were rarely nationally televised, but the 2nd half of the season, nearly every match was on tv. I just stick to streams and cable now.

15. joshmartinez122

Apr 18, 2011
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big test for the guys today. I would be happy with a draw today. I have a sinking feeling that we are going to get outplayed in the midfield today. And that never bodes well for us.

16. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised Keane didn't make the trip given they are playing on NE's notoriously bad turf.

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I actually just realized this when they were showing the previous match between us on the pregame show. I completely forgot we played them in the final.

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wet turf? Yeah, let's keep Keane and the other injured guys out of it...

Berks and Ghosting repped this.
  19. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maganto, Villarreal and sorto starting, husidic in he middle

20. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go, Galaxy!!!!!!!!!!

Bilgediver repped this.
  21. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeeshh! Gs got lucky

23. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Way too easy for Charlie way too early. Thank goodness he whiffed it

24. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look good so far. Ha!

25. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy