P/I/P Game 12: LA Galaxy vs FC Dallas 07/07/21, 7:30 PT on Spectrum SportsNet

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Jul 7, 2021.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the Galaxy. How about a new game thread mods?

Schedule is kind to us as it seems we have two games in Salt lake in 4 days. Saturday night vs. homeless Vancouver and then Wednesday with RSL. I hope we're just setting up camp there and not flying home and back. Then it will be just a quick trip over to struggling Dallas.

Am I being greedy for wanting no less then 7 points on this trip? Probably.

ProudNatRN, skydog, shelbo and 4 others repped this.
  2. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH, I'll kind of be disappointed if we don't get 9 points against those teams. But I guess should be happy with 6 or 7 points.

TrickHog and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yessir. Thread going up!

And anything in the 5-7 points range would be most excellent. But I'll be greedy and want 9......

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 would be excellent from 3 MLS road matches under almost any circumstances. We came close to tying homeless Vancouver in Utah, remember. RSL in Utah and Dallas (as bad as they are) in Dallas will be tough, but not unwinnable matches.

TrickHog repped this.
  5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I seem to remember that a keeper cannot pickup the ball in the following circumstances inside the penalty area. I don't think that any of these are can be DOGSO red cards, I think they are all in-direct free kicks
    1. From a teammates pass back, including I would guess teammate restarts.
    2. From a teammates throw-in (a throw-in can never result in a goal).
    3. After they have set the ball down (as Benny pointed out).
    If a keeper handles the ball out of the box its like any other defender handling the ball outside the box with a red card only if its a denial of a goal scoring opportunity, a yellow if it stops a promising attack.

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks - I was pretty sure I was blanking on some obvious situations.

A random thought about your second example GalaxyOne.

Two minutes left in game, keeper's team up a goal but they are getting pounded by a very strong team who has pushed everyone up. Teammate throws ball in toward him but the opponents are ready and they come barreling in! Keeper thinks he can get there first, but it's going to be close! Best he can hope for is to play it safely straight out of bounds and then try to absorb the couple of minutes of sustained pressure.

Keeper runs at the ball, swings his leg back to boot it out - but at the very last second he completely misses it! Keeper looks back in horror as it keeps rolling, straight into his own goal. He can't believe he's blown it! He is devastated and falls onto his knees, head in his hands, almost sobbing out loud. His devastation drowns out the ref when he walks over to talk to him. He can't even look at his teammates as they come over. He just kneels there on the ground, curled in a ball of grief.

Finally the ref gets through to him and tells him it's not a goal - it was a throw in and never touched! He looks shocked. Then he understands and starts jumping for joy! Finally, in his altered state of mind he slowly walks back and retrieves the ball out of the net. And now he's so flustered he can't decide which side he should take the goal kick from - after all the ball didn't go out on either side. He puts it on one side, starts to go back to kick and then decides, no, the other side is right. Finally 1 minute and 59 seconds later Bond kicks the ball 70 yards up-field.

The whistle blows immediately and the keeper struggles to keep that big grin off his face as he walks off the field. He fails completely as he joins his joyous teammates laughing and hollering.

7. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no requirement on which "side" the ball needs to come in on a goal kick, my only thought is it might create a corner kick instead, because the ball came off the goalkeepers team.

If it's a goal kick, it just has to originate in the 6-yard box, and can't be touched until it's outside the 18yard box

8. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I think you missed the point of skydog's post, which I believe was intended as a sound (and somewhat humorous) strategy to kill the last 2 minutes of a game. Or at least that was my interpretation.
    Second, there is no restriction anymore about the ball having to go outside the 18 before it can be touched. One sees this all the time now, where the GK plays it to a defender who is just a few yards away.

skydog repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Somewhat humorous jokes that need to be explained are my wheelhouse. :)

TrickHog and GalaxyOne repped this.
  10. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it was meant to be waxing poetic, but it would still be a corner kick [emoji57]

skydog repped this.
  11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll call this move "Skydog's Gambit".

TrickHog and skydog repped this.