P/I/P Game 1: L.A. Galaxy @ Houston Dynamo, SATURDAY 2/29/20, 12:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Skevin, Feb 27, 2020.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair. I'm not trying to convince you to be more enthusiastic, but I do see progress.

For me, the improvement I saw is we did a much better job of being defensively organized. Even though we gave Houston a lot of the ball, we did a much better job of controlling where they played than last year. It's a big improvement IMO but it's mundane because really it's something that even the crappiest team should be able to do (which is indeed why we'd lost to scrubby teams because at least they were ORGANIZED). It's basic soccer, but it's something we failed to do often last year.

barroldinho, 73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a very imperfect and one dime

3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully you're right and the first game is indicative of better defense this year. In the end, it's just one game, so probably doesn't really tell us anything.

TrickHog repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ?? I don’t speak that language. :)

MPNumber9 repped this.
  5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The 2009 season we went 1-1-9 over the first 11 games but ended up winning the Western Conference, finishing a point off the Supporters’ Shield and MLS Cup runner up.
    MLS a totally different league, the 2020 Galaxy isn’t the 2009 Galaxy and GBS isn’t Bruce. One thing I think is the same 11 years on, is early season form is largely irrelevant to an MLS Cup run.

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, though MLS is competitive enough that there aren't many points between success and failure. People still seem to have this idea that playoffs render the regular season meaningless but it's rare that games in the final week of the season have nothing riding on them.

napper and skydog repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, let me try again:

I was trying to say, we had a very imperfect and one dimensional offense last year as well. Mostly because once Romain went down, we really relied more than we really planned to and should've on Zlatan (and substandard options like Antuna and Alvarez until Pavon arrived). We were shut out in 7-8 games, if I remember.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know you weren't a fan of the way we played with Zlatan as a focal point and you blame that style for a lot of our defensive problems. I don't think that was the big problem for our team but that's "just my opinion man." But in any case - for whatever the reason - we scored the 3rd most goals in MLS. Only LAFC in their record tying year and NYCFC on their postage stamp field scored more. Our offense was good enough to have as the top of the standings. Unfortunately our defense shipped the 5th most goals in all of MLS and that undid all the good work done up top.

9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    PS - I agree with you that our defense vs. HOU looked more organized and better than last season. It's amazing what replacing blunder-fest Sjoioki with Insua does for our defense. I also thought DePuy added a lot - even more than Steres. He was just more proactive, imo. Don't get me wrong - I still think we are razor thin on defense and that we won't be great on that end, especially with the midfield continuing to be soft. But I'm thinking maybe our D won't be a complete clusterfxxx this season?

10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 MPNumber9, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    I hear ya. I should say, it's not that I wasn't a fan, per se. Zlatan did amazing considering he was basically a one-man attacking force until Pavon arrived and delivered some legendary moments. It just became clear to me that to support him, we were giving up the ability to control games and that's crucial to having good defense. Why could LAFC confidently trade Zimmerman and why haven't they gone to shambles in the back? Because they have a system that allows them to control games, with and without the ball and that insulated their defense (including their very questionable keeper, Miller). We couldn't (or wouldn't) do that with Zlatan.

We did score a lot of goals, but I would counter with the fact that we were also held scoreless 7 or 8 times, all but 1 of them resulting in losses. My original point was, sometimes we were just a really, really bad team to watch.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sadly we are in complete agreement on that point.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all are.

13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another note on offense / midfield: here's a 25-pass sequence leading to goal from last year. This is from the 3-2 win against MIN where Zlatan was out.

TrickHog repped this.