P/I/P Covid Cup Game 3: LA Galaxy v Houston 7/23/20, 6:00pm PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Jul 23, 2020.

1. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^This!!! This in a nutshell

hav77 repped this.
  2. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Interesting question about the lineup. I'd be inclined to consider that if GBS was making great moves once the game starts. But he doesn't, so I think his incompetence starts earlier. Training, team selection, tactics, all that.

I'm kind of surprised how many of you seem overly generous toward Perry Restroom. He is terrible.

The way GBS sat on the bench with that usual shell-shocked look on his face makes me think that he knows his fate and he is done. What a disappointment. He was such a quality player and did so well in MLS. He is not much of a coach. Can't imagine him getting any more chances.

Dominic Kinnear has proven his worth. I think he probably needed time off from the heavy load of managing a team. Hopefully, if called upon, he is fresh and ready to go. Is there a quality guy out there who would be ready and willing to come in and do the job?

The only really good thing that came from crashing out so early is that now the Gs can earnestly look at what they have and begin getting ready for the season NOW. Give the guys a week off, then get back to work under a new manager.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pavon picked a great time to have his worst game as a Galaxy player.

Skevin, napper and ShortyMac repped this.
  4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't rate Pavon as poorly as the rest of you, but pretty much agreed with everything else.

Lletget had a decent amount of key passes by the way - I wanted to note he was active after we reamed him last week.

@stopper - we don't rate Kitchen. Trust me.

34 crosses. WHY?????????????????

Why wasn't DePuy starting over Gonzalez?

DePuy might give GBS some signs of life, but this isn't a good team and needs a do over.

Do we use the time off to do it? Doubt it.

Bummed and hoping for some signs of progress during the break.

TrickHog, ShortyMac, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    FYP.

TrickHog and ShortyMac repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ??? Steres has never scored more than 3 goals in a regular MLS season - am I missing something again?

TrickHog repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It worked really well the two last seasons.

TrickHog, Berks and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pavon is quality, but he cannot do it on his own. He needs some support.

9. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    The deal with Guillermo is hard to fathom. Is he a bad coach or just the wrong coach for this team in this particular moment of need? He has had successes elsewhere and came with the caveat that he was not a coach that did many adjustments during match or at least that was the knock on him. whether this is style he saw on another coach during his playing days that he liked or he developed it himself or he simply is too young of a coach to have yet realize he need to able to do that, or again, he is just a bad coach.... I can't say for sure. maybe a combination of all this.

Point is we have to move on here. He has been given enough time so by now something positive should be visible. I don't see anything. There is no there, there. This is not a coaching academy.

The Cadaver, TrickHog, JPAR and 2 others repped this.
  10. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 The Beautiful Gamer, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Highlight Time Folks

Well tonight showed me that GBS at least see what we saw. This tournament and Covid did him no favors and neither did injuries from our other 2 DP's. I said it at the beginning of the year that this season is a write off. Next year is the make or break year as far as GBS is concerned. If Klien fires GBS over this season then somebody better be removing Klien as well.

DeKlose and GBS need to be looking for these things for 2021, with 3 roles being crucial.

We need a better Goal Keeper. Bingham is not going to cut it. We can only tolerate him if we have a solid back line and CDM in front of him at all times.

A Creative Center Midfielder that can play make from deep and can slot into the center or out wide as a Winger as well if needed. We will for sure need both if we lose Pavon. Dunbar, Cuello and Alvarez should be solid depth players/spot starters.

I can live with Steres and DePuy at Centerback but would like to find a reliable beast so that one of those guys can become solid depth. I am good with Insua and Traore as Leftback starter & depth. I am also good with Feltscher and Araujo as Rightback Starter & depth(I'd prefer Araujo as starter of course). We need to get rid of Kitchen and Gonzalez for sure though. They cause too many issues. (And don't think I didn't notice you still constantly turning the ball over in the 2nd half Perry, cause I did) Now that we have discovered Gordon Wild we can get rid of Zubak, or at minimum push him to 3rd string forward. I'd even be okay with replacing him with a G2 kid for depth.

We may need to seriously consider replacing Jonathan Dos Santos however, due to him becoming as injury prone as his brother. Because Corona and Llegett can play cdm we can survive without him if push comes to shove. I'd prefer to keep him and hope we can get him back to TAM in the name of freeing up that DP spot. I wonder how much is left on his current contract? We need to use that on the Creative Midfielder for sure.

TrickHog, JPAR and ProudNatRN repped this.
  11. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Yeah, the memo didn't get there that the 6'5" dude is no longer with us.:ROFLMAO:

TrickHog repped this.
  12. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why Bingham started this game. We had no chance at getting the three goals needed to move on. Should have started Lopez, give the kid a shot. Bingham is just collecting a paycheck at this point.

TrickHog, JPAR and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like he's with us through 2020-21.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...appy-la-galaxy-club-america-remains-his-dream

14. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Gio, mex pundits say will be all he can be for America as he comes out of yet another injury. Sounds familiar.

I don't know that they will be ready for another Dos Santos once America figures out what the deal is with Gio.

"Atlanta United announced on Friday that the club has mutually parted ways with head coach Frank de Boer.

The Dutchman leaves on the heels of a disastrous MLS is Back tournament run, with the Five Stripes failing to advance out of the group stage of the tournament."

This also sounds familiar... :thumbsdown:

The Cadaver, TrickHog and JPAR repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? He had a sports hernia. I don't think that's injury prone. And I think 1 hamstring injury? Just surprised this is the conclusion.

Maybe we can follow in Atlanta's footsteps?

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  16. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I am misremembering but he seems to have been down for extended periods of time when he has gone down more so of late than in the beginning.

17. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Getting good DP's is all about doing your homework. Whe didn't we get Pulido? Or Vela? Why an aging Chicharito whose best days are clearly behind him. This all part of the same management problem. I think we all hope DTK can solve it, and at this point I'd be happy with a mid-level team that played with heart and had a style - how hard can that be?

The Cadaver, hav77, Beirut and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Full Time

Full Time New Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 24, 2020
    Wasn’t the Bingham goal a deflection off of Steres? Can’t blame the GK if it was. I think Bingham could be serviceable, we really need someone to drive the offense, a dynamic #10, another 9 that pushes Chicharito and some quality wingers.

19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Which of the 9 goals allowed are you referring to?
    (jk. But no - the goal was not a deflection and no Bingham is not serviceable.)

20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It's a good thing that the Galaxy sent Katai packing for something his wife said.

The Live PD move of MLS.

The Cadaver and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was bummed to see that the guys weren’t trying to pump each other up during the water breaks. I know the cameras don’t catch everything. But, it didn’t seem like there was any leadership amongst the players. Missing Jona is not good. But, these guys are soccer players. I know teams typically try to figure things out themselves, aside from what the coach is supposed to be doing.

MPNumber9, hav77, skydog and 4 others repped this.
  22. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%, team has not shown any spirit during Mickey Mouse tourney. Defense and goalie especially looked like they didn't want to be there at all.

The Cadaver, hav77, JPAR and 3 others repped this.
  23. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why we need to cut the suck off of this squad. They have lost their pride. It's hard to act like a winner when you expect to lose all the time.

The Cadaver, ShortyMac, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's the same reason why after searching far and wide, the Gs hired Onalfo.

skydog and The Cadaver repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad we agree on that, since the last match Katai played in the Galaxy lost to Vancouver at home without scoring. The Black high schooler that replaced him did more in a half a game than Katai did in his Galaxy career.

napper and TrickHog repped this.