P/I/P Black diamond run #9 Rapids @ Chicago Sting/Fire United Bridgeviewers, Sat 11AM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Apr 18, 2019.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Your Colorado Rapids take on the Chicago Sting/Fire, United (a rebranding is rumored) Bridgeviewers (they haven't moved yet!) at 11AM Mountain time (competing with European soccer on TV!) at the stadium (I don't do corporate names unless they stay the same for many years - like Dicks and Wrigley, for example) in Bridgeview, IL. On Saturday 4/20/2019.

I haven't looked into the TV- Altitude, I assume?

Add predictions, witticisms, thoughts, and, well, pretty much anything you add to this will be a appreciated. Also in game commentary and frustrations. And post game remorse, of course.

Go Rapids! Or Go Chicago, if beating the Rapids could get Hudson fired. We win either way, unless it's a tie.

2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Ha! Hudson gets "Fired" lol. The puns on this thread are going to be "lit" I'm sure :ROFLMAO:

Maarten van 242 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have absolutely no reason for optimism, but I just have this feeling we get our first win. Hudson has managed to be a horrible coach, yet somehow get a win right after setting some sort of record. As this seems to be the worst start ever (Jason, are we there yet?), it is time that the team pulls something out.

Likely due to Chicago not paying attention. Scores don't indicate, but the team has been more competitive than last year. Which means one of these weeks they will pull it all together for 95 minutes (instead of 80 minutes) and we nab a win. Followed by another string of losses.

Why not this week?

Andy126 repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will this be like last year when after setting losing records he threw out lineups with as many CB's as he could find?

22SteveD and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  5. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids' website says it'll be on Altitude. Don't know if I'll watch live - my daughter and grandkids are coming down to see us at some point, and they're much more interesting.

Feeling a little optimism because Chicago has been poor like us, but still wouldn't bet on Rapids to win if I were a betting man. We're still too weak defensively to have much confidence.

Bridgeman and Sports Yak repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm with you Rod, we will win just because that's what we do when we are getting historically bad. And because we were OK last week. And Chicago are bad. Although I could see a tie because we are on the road. Looking forward to the game because I don't have much going on this weekend after several busy weekends (due to work and fun). Watch Tottenham - Man City at 5:30 AM (OK maybe delay on DVR), then Rapids at 11AM.

7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I do want to be clear. I see NO reason the Rapids get any points this week. Just that it has to happen sometime. :)

(in case there are any Chicago people lurking that think we actually have an expectation of winning).

Andy126 repped this.
  8. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Forecast is sunny, high of 59. Doesn't look like weather will be an equalizer, which seems to be our best bet these days.

I'll predict 3-1 Fire.

9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Looks like refs will be:

Stat per game comparison so far this season:

Rapids Fire
    1.3 Goals For 1.8 Goals For
    2.0 Goals Against 2.7 Goals Against
    80% Passing 80% Passing
    15.0 Shots For 14.7 Shots For
    6.8 Shots Against 10.7 Shots Against
    49% Possession 46% Possession

AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    If the Rapids keep the offense going.
    If they focus on defending and all11 contribute.
    If they give it their all and aggressively battle for the ball on every challenge.
    If Hudson shows some energy.
    If they start to believe in themselves.

Then
    Rapids 3-0 Fire
    Probability of this is 2%

Rapids 1-2 Fire after leading after 15 minutes
    Probability 60%

Rapids 0-1 Fire
    Probability 38%

Nuff said

Andy126 and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago is 1-1-2 at home, 1.25 PPG. They are on pace for 34 points this season.

Colorado is 0-3-0 on the road, 0.00 PPG. The Rapids have allowed the most goals in the MLS (19). They are on pace for 10 points this season. Yes, ten. That's six points worse than the worst team in MLS history.

Hudson needs to win four straight matches to have the team on pace for the last playoff spot at the one-third mark.

#HudsonOut

AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see a lot of this in the thread.
    [​IMG]

13. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily I am reffing tomorrow so I won't be in a position to decide whether to watch or not.

kucsdat, JasonMa and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    VAR the game and watch it Sunday.

rapidogordo, JasonMa and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  15. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Wait! Are you saying we might see Anthony's lethal 9-0-1 formation again!?! Awesome! I bet he's bringing Boli in again for this speciality "man on an island" role that he placed the striker in last year. He must've mastered the role.

Unfortunately (THANKFULLY!) I have a U6 game to attend in the morning which will preclude viewing the 'Pids. But at least I'll get to see quality soccer tomorrow!

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure its going to be another "we will score goals, but the defense will completely fv<k everything up" episode.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Injury report:

18. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I put a paper bag on my head last week and predicted a win. I won't be fooled again.

2-1 loss, Kai with the goal. Hoping I'm dead wrong, but the best I can envision on the road is a tie. And despite my grumblings about his errors, I start Sjoberg at CB.

Andy126 repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I just noticed, 11AM. Very early...wonder why?

21. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am unable to come up with anything about the upcoming game.......I suspect 11am is a TV request......

The Fire/Sting screwed up putting the stadium out in the 'burbs when downtown Chicago would have been Da' Bomb.

Given these squads form, whomever plays less poor will win. Sigh. I actually did have some positive expectations for this team this year. I guess this is "The Rapids Way". Glad I didn't renew my season tickets.

R

22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the 'Pids pull it out this week, Rapids 2-1, goals by Kai and Bennie

Also, agree with all the Hudson Out talk but there is now way that KSE would have three coaches on contract (Pablo's still getting paid through the end of the season). So, I see this as Hudson playing for his job for the rest of the season.

23. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue isn't getting rid of Hudson. The issue is paying for a replacement mid-season. If Hudson and Smith both walk the plank, the move would at least partially offset the cost of a third coach. Also, if they named a player as interim coach, there would be some offset. The season's lost anyway. My bet would be on an interim player-coach. (Feilhaber?)

Hudson probably gets until the RSL match to turn things around. He pretty much needs to run the table the next four matches to have the team anywhere near contention for the last playoff spot. That's a tall order, given the team's current form. Today and next Saturday are road matches, and the next two are against opponents who have started to awaken from their early season slumbers.

May 11 is circled on my calendar. If the Rapids haven't snagged at least 7 points in the next four matches, any other team would tell a coach to hit the road (if they hadn't already done so). Remember, the middle third of the season is no walk in the park and the final third of the season is fairly brutal. The team's form is unlikely to improve as the season progresses past the RSL match.

JasonMa, Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have no idea. Can I make a prediction after the game?

22SteveD, Totoro, fortcollins and 2 others repped this.
  25. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your arguments, but this is, after all, the Rapids and I fully expect Anthony Hudson to be the coach at least through the end of this season, if not longer. The Kroenke organization seems to go with the concept of bare minimum soccer--a keeper, ten players running around in the same uniforms, and a coach of some sort. After that, sell as many group tickets as possible and make the season tickets hard to cancel.

As for the Chicago game, this is the period of the season when most teams have figured out the weaknesses of the other teams and their players. Teams like Cincinnati and Orlando might have gotten some wins earlier but now everybody knows how to beat them. Colorado was figured out last year. The Fire are at home and they're playing better lately so I expect them to win 3 -1.

fortcollins repped this.