P/I/P: #31 - LA Galaxy v. Toronto FC; Sat 10/04/14; 7:30pm PDT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the Stubhub Center; broadcast on TWCS and TWCD.

The regular season is barreling to a close - only four games left and the chance to make history for the LA Galaxy.

[​IMG]

Toronto is the weakest of our remaining opponents, on paper, and we have them at home where we have been almost unstoppable. I have my tickets, and I'm crossing my fingers that we will see Landon Donovan break the MLS record for all-time regular assists. And another blow-out win would be just what the doctor ordered.

Go Galaxy!

ShortyMac, Berks, esco300 and 5 others repped this.
  2. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Galaxy.

Geneva repped this.
  3. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, definitely the weakest team on paper we are facing. Have to win this if we want to stay connected in the SS race. Plus it's a home game where we are money. Go for the win.

Geneva repped this.
  4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Actually, with the back-to-back games at the end, LAG will be "connected" unless we lose the next two and Seattle win their next two, but it would obviously be preferable to get into a position where 3 or 4 points from the last two would be sufficient and not needing to sweep.

5. joshmartinez122

Apr 18, 2011
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only game I'm able to go to this year. Due to some unforeseen things I was not sure if I was even going to make it to one. However, once I found out that Landon was retiring I knew I had to at least go to one more. Really looking forward to this game. I hope to see a similar effort as to what we just witnessed against New York. Whatever happens it is going to be an emotional night for me. Landon is my favorite athlete of all time. I'm sure there will be tears and lots of smiles on my part. Still cannot believe its the end for him. Going to miss him.

Berks, StillKickin and Geneva repped this.
  6. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need four points in the next two matches, somehow. Assuming Seattle wins their next two games and gets maximum points, mathematically four points is virtually the same as six points. If Seattle wins their next two matches, we're going to need a win and draw against Seattle in last two games to win the Shield; because Seattle holds the tie breaker with wins we can't finish even on points with them.

Berks, MPNumber9 and Geneva repped this.
  7. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We either have to beat them straight up or go into the final 2 games down at most by 2 wins (assuming tied on points). That tie breaker is effectively another point so this is a game we must have, especially with that game next week coming up being away. We aren't terrible away but that is a game I am less hopeful we will win.

8. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Understood, but if we get 1 point from the next two games (or if Seattle fails to win both of their next two), we will go into the final series mathematically still alive. Then, if we win the game at the StubHub, we go to the final game of the season with a chance.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather not need to sweep the last two games, and that tiebreaker is a real ball buster right now, but I'd take our chances straight up in the final game if that's what it takes.

9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreover, that game is right in the middle of the international matches. Likely Keane and Gonzales will be gone for the Dallas game, possibly Zardes and Rogers if the hype is true. Plus who knows how much Donovan can play, if at all. Good news is that Penedo wasn't called into Panama's friendly with Mexico, but Blas Perez was.

All that said, I think this game is a must win especially since Seattle plays Colorado this week.

Berks repped this.
  10. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go forth and win.

3-1 Galaxy.

Please God, no injuries.

ShortyMac, pastor, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Topper. A win and no injuries.

And an assist for Donovan so we can get that out of the way and focus on the SS and Cup...

:)

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what to expect from TFC since I haven't watched them. It will be nice to see Landon and MikeBrad on the field together again, though I think MB will have his hands full with our midfield. Naturally, I expect us to win comprehensively.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  13. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #13 EvilTree, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    I come in peace.

TFC should be coming with a fully healthy squad, though I think Defoe probably comes off the bench. Always a Jekyl and Hyde performance from TFC lately. If LA close down Bradley from spraying passes from deep position and negate TFC's set piece attack, should be an easy win for LA esp since TFC defence has been wonky.

Then again, TFC has gotten results at Stubhub/HDC with even shittier teams, so while I don't expect TFC to get anything out of this game esp since LA has been eating Eastern Conference teams alive at Stubhub, but I wouldn't be shocked if TFC gets a result either.

edit: TFC has a midweek game vs Houston after, so Vanney might have one eye on that also

napper, sdcastro137, Topper and 5 others repped this.
  14. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Vanney will more than likely have his eye on the Habs/Leafs game on Wednesday !!!

:)

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #15 skydog, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    If Defoe can get some healthy minutes in the game it will improve TFC's chances a lot. The guy already has 11 goals and 2 assists in only 16 games and his 0.75 goals/90m is 3rd best* in the league (counting only players with at least 1000 minutes this season). So much for needing time to adjust to MLS.

First place of course goes to BWP who is scoring an otherworldly 1.12 goals/90 min. Second is Dwyer at .76 and then Zardes comes in tied with Urruti for 4th with a measly .71 g/90m! :)

*If you lower the requirement for minutes played to 500 or so then Defoe's scoring rate drops to 4th. Guess who edges him out by 4/1000's of a goal/90min? Get ready for it....
    Yep, you guessed it - Chad Barrett!

teamsleep repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Landon breaks the record while at home. Would be a great moment.

And if we neutralize MB, think we neutralize TFC. Hoping for a win! It's been crazy for me at work - can't wait to relax and watch this.

TrickHog repped this.
  17. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy, Dodgers, USC, and UCLA all playing at home Saturday evening.

18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know the Galaxy but who are those other teams?

Beirut, galaxydeadhead, shelbo and 6 others repped this.
  19. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No Gilberto (rest), Defoe off bench, Bradley on yellow card away from suspension so he'll take it 'easy'.

20. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lads should take this with another shut out. Maybe 2-0. Going to be warm out there which is an advanatge for a southern California team.

21. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lets not forget the thousand or so youth soccer matches (AYSO and club)....

22. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 GalaxyKoa, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    It's also worth noting that we could clinch a CCL berth this weekend if we win and both RSL and Dallas fail to win.

We wouldn't officially clinch with a draw but if we draw, RSL loses and Dallas doesn't win, we'd all but officially clinch. In that scenario, RSL would have to beat us on GD which would be unlikely at this stage.

WarGalaxy and forie repped this.
  23. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Taking several people again to their second ever match. Hopefully we can all witness history. Go LD!

3 points!

GO GALAXY!

Topper, StillKickin and ShortyMac repped this.
  24. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hyped. It's gonna be fun.

Poor Michael Bradley doesn't know that TFC are forbidden to make the playoffs.

Galaxy!

Topper repped this.