P/I/P: #27 - LA Galaxy vs Chivas USA 10/03/10 5:00 PM PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by tsaldana3, Sep 28, 2010.

1. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]VS [​IMG]

Watch - ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes
    Listen - 1150 AM 1330 AM

Previous Game

LA Galaxy 0-2 NY Red Bulls

Current Position

1st in West
    1st in League

15-6-5

Galaxy Injury Report
    (As of 09/27/10)

OUT - None
    DOUBTFUL - None
    QUESTIONABLE - None
    PROBABLE - None

Predicted Lineup

--------------------- Buddle --------- Bowen --------------------

--------- Donovan ------------ Juninho ------------ Beckham -------

----------------------------- Kovalenko ----------------------------

----- Dunivant ------- Marshall ------ Gonzalez ------- Franklin -----

------------------------------ Ricketts ----------------------------

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to regain some of our swagger. And put the renters out of their misery...

3. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After the rather lackadasical efforts of the past few games, nothing but a complete goat beat-down will suffice.. Something more akin to a NFL score. Winning by less than 3 goals will constitute a total failure and should result in Bruce being fired and AEG HQ being slashed and burned to make way for some new condos.

4. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this (below) gives us our best possible lineup. Service from the left side will be difficult, but if we can get Duni to make a couple of overlapping runs, then we'll be fine. at this point, I think we need Landon directly in front of the opposing team's goal to free up a little but of breathing room and to provide a target should Beckham try the long pass from deep midfield. Plus, it gives us a solid hard working defender on the left hand side, and someone who can link with Juninho and Dema in the short passing game.

I dont think the back line will have a tough time against CUSA's two big forwards. With a bit of luck, we could probably trick Gordo into scoring an own goal :p

--------------------- Buddle --------- Donovan --------------------

--------- Stephens ------------ Juninho ------------ Beckham -------

----- Dunivant ------- Leonardo ------ Gonzalez ------- Franklin -----

5. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    INJURY REPORT
    OUT – None
    DOUBTFUL – None
    QUESTIONABLE – Gregg Berhalter (Neck – Strain), Dema Kovalenko (Right Adductor – Strain)
    PROBABLE – None

i think Birchall starts

--------------------- Buddle --------- Bowen --------------------

--------- Donovan ---------- Juninho ------------ Beckham -------

----------------------------- Birchall----------------------------

----- Dunivant ------- Marshall ------ Gonzalez ------- Franklin -----

6. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    thank you Ts3

7. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this lineup.

8. VBOutLaw

VBOutLaw New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Brigade Section 121
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Do not forget the after party at OCP main course roasted
    GOAT.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this lineup, except I'd switch out Kovalenko with Brichall.

And possibly Yohance Marshall in for Leonardo.

10. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I truly believe this is the lineup we should do. Keep beckham upfront and an opportunity in the box with his precise shots and also give buddle the assistance upfront to make him more dangerous. This also takes out the longball business because our midfield and forwards don't have a good enough first touch to absorb the pass aswell as gives Juninho the space he needs to be effective. I'd also like to see a few shots from Beckham. And, even if he ventures off he's not a liability to the defense or midfield.

Win Win.

--------------------- Donovan ------------Beckham ---------------

-------------------------------Buddle------------------------------

-------------- Stephens ---------------------Juninho ---------------

----- Dunivant ------- Leonardo ------ Gonzalez ------- Franklin -----

------------------------------ Ricketts-----------------------

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Kovalenko and Berhalter probably not able to go, Leonardo getting yanked at half time of the last game and Kirovski playing poorly two matches in a row, I think this could be the lineup.

12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to agree, partly because Bruce mention after the RB game that Bowen should have been in the game earlier. so, is starting the game early enough Bruce?

13. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should beat Chivas with ANY lineup on Sunday.
    They are in a free fall now, already thinking about next season (and next coach) i'm sure.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think this would be a lot stronger than a lineup with Donovan on the left and Bowen up top.

Advantages of having LD up top and Stephens at left mid:

1. Donovan is a better forward than Bowen. By a lot.

2. Most of Donovan's assists this year have come when he was on the right.

3. Combination play works best when you have your skilled players close together, working in a roughly triangular formation. Bowen is a dribble and run kinda guy, he doesn't do combinations very often or very well. This lineup creates natural triangles of Juninho & Beckham & Donovan and of Juninho, Buddle, & Donovan all of whom should work really well together if they just get some time together on the field.

4. Becks isn't fast enough to get behind defenders on speed alone but he is quite adept at it if he can work give-and-goes with skilled teammates nearby.

5. Becks will be less likely to resort to the long ball if Donovan is playing closer to him.

6. When Becks does resort to the long ball over the top Donovan has both the speed and the skill to take advantage. Bowen has the speed but not the skills.

7. Stephens tracks back on defense more consistently than Donovan. He is more likely to help Dunivant handle speedy forwards.

8. Stephens was our second best assist man when playing. Of late goals have been hard to come by so we need him out there getting assists again.

9. This gets our strongest players on the field. Bowen > Kirovski, but Stephens > Bowen.

Disadvantages:

1. With Donovan & Becks on the right there may be even less room for Franklin to overlap.

2. Donovan always gets fewer touches when he is up top. That problem may be ameliorated somewhat though by having Becks nearby.

15. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic performance last Friday. Snap out of it, will ya! G's 3-0.

16. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Consession suggestion

Goat Recipe

The first thing to do is to get the freshest goat possible and the best cuts. ( editor note: try butterfly filets or tenderloin filets)

Ingredients:

Goat to cook - 2 lbs.
    4 garlic cloves
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 naranja agria (bitter orange). I have yet to find them in the US , so you may want to substitute with a lime.
    1 small onion (red, yellow or Spanish), chopped
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp thyme
    2-4 bay leaves
    3-4 sweet peppers, chopped. These are small ones that I can find in Latin markets. DO NOT use hot peppers.
    Several branches of cilantro (verdure)
    1 tbsp vinegar (apple cider or white preferably)
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 - 1 cup of tomato sauce (I prefer 2 tbsp of tomato paste myself, but other prefer the sauce).
    1 tsp sugar
    2 -3 tbsp oil
    1/2 - 1 cup cooking wine

Preparation:

In the mortar and pestle, combine the garlic, pepper and salt and pound until you have a pasty consistency - set aside.

Place the goat in a bowl and wash with the juice of bitter orange or lime. Season goat with the garlic paste above, vinegar, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, onion, cilantro, sweet peppers and Worcestershire sauce. If you can, let the goat marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight.

*** You can use one of those little packets of Goya seasonings, but bear in mind that they contain monosodium glutamate.

In a large pot (I use anodized aluminum, i.e. Calphalon, for sautéing) heat up the oil with the sugar. The sugar will carmeralize and will give the goat a golden color without having to sauté it too much. This works even better when preparing pollo guisado (chicken fricassee). At this point, try to add the goat to the pot WITHOUT the ingredients it was marinating in. This might entail you actually separating the little leaves and other ingredients that will stick to the goat. The reasoning for this is that you don't want to "cook" these ingredients with the goat yet, at least not until the goat is tender. Sautee the goat in the hot oil for a couple of minutes, but do not let it burn. Reduce heat to medium and add some water, about 1 a cup. Simmer. When the water is almost gone, add the remaining marinade from the bowl. Add the tomato sauce/paste and cooking wine and cook on medium low heat for about 45 minutes, more or less. You want to let the liquid thicken, but not too much. Depending on your taste, you may add a little more wine towards the end of the cooking time.

Voila!!!

Goat goes very well with moros as well as with white rice and beans or guandules.

A great wine to accompany this meal will of course be a nice red

17. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh none of the food at the HDC is actually cooked. It is taken out of the freezer and either:

A) Fried and Served
    B) Nuked and Served
    C) Boiled in the bag and served

So unless you can freeze dry this recipe or something that makes it fit one of these options, you are asking for the idiots that work for levy to do way more than they are capable of, because THEY CAN'T EVEN GET A, B, AND C RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect for tailgating. Or a pregame potluck outside Calle Victoria.

19. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another recipe would be to tenderize that goat with a hammer until there is nothing left and go pick up a BWHD.

20. Darkserpent

Darkserpent New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Venice Beach
    I hope the Galaxy win 10-0, only because id like for CUSA to rethink their whole brand direction during the offseason. A lopsided score of epic preportions will surely place the last nail in the CUSA coffin.

21. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL! Never thought to see the ACTUAL food recipe in this forum, ever! :D

But hey, I'll try it for sure!!

22. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like this line up..very much! :)

As always, Sky should send his CV to LAG's management already for the coach/manager's position based on his outstanding analysis! :D

23. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego

It was meant in humor, but it actually sounds like it might taste good

24. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm nervous about this game. The Galaxy have shown us this summer that anything is possible in 90 minutes

25. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This actually got me thinking. We were absolutely on fire up THROUGH the world cup. Remembering that we beat the Crew during that time and held our own without Buddle and Donovan. So then I thought back, pick a match where the team seemed to fire on all cylinders. The away match at Seattle. What was the line-up for that...

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Buddle, Donovan, Stephens, Birchall, Kirovski, Klein, Dunivant, Berhalter, Gonzo, Jordan, Ricketts[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Subs were Cazmuba/Buddle, Bowen/Klein, and Mathis/Donovan

So while Jordan was a stop gap for Franklin, you still look at that lineup and see the core pieces. I honestly don't think Mike Stephens makes that big of a difference.

Then I rewatched the game and I came to one conclusion and that conclusion is going to upset many of you. Donovan left his soul in South Africa.

Donovan was an absolute beast in this game. He seemed to want to win every ball. He was faster, he was more meticulous and far more creative with his passes. He ran at the defenders and gave them fits. There was a fire there. I have seen remnants of that fire briefly from time to time, but at the beginning of the season this was his team. He was all over the guys on the field, firing them up as the captain, and when they needed to be told, he told them. When was the last time you saw him take charge on the field? Look at his eyes after the two goals against DCU, the fire isn't there. He actually looks a little irritated that he has to do all this work to save himself the embarassment of losing to the worst team in MLS this year.

So now we play Chivas. A match that Landon has historically been up for. This match may determine the fate of the season. I know Landon is tired, he has been playing for a year and a half straight. But if this game doesn't wake him up he will remain what he has been since July, a good midfielder/fwd. That's not good enough for this team to win the shield and the cup. We need the player that will make a run from the defensive side of the field, up the wing, delivering an excellent ball, and continue the run so that he ends up BEING THERE when the rebound comes on the opposite side of the goal.

Oh Captain my Captain, I call on you. Your club and all of it's supporters need your heart, guts, and your head in it 100% until you have the Cup raised over your head in Toronto. At that moment we will grant you the rest you will then have earned.