Ownership Saga: Are we sold, again? [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by mariebannerlfc, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Balague on Benitez rumours (8.1.2008.)

I hate being condecended to by Rednose but for once he is absolutely right and not simply gaming us.

2. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York

yeah, he's right, but, he's still gaming us as well

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2245844,00.html

3. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA

Does anyone else find it curious that the story about talks with Klinsman was posted on the official website? The website has been classy during uncomfortable times (e.g., the imminent doom of Houllier and Stevie's "should I stay or should I go" dance). It seemed really unlike them to post a story that clearly undermines the manager.

5. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hicks signs the checks -- it was clear that somehow they decided that admitting what they'd done was a good strategy -- can't see why they thought that but....

6. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owners Complete Refinancing Deal

BBC Link

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Owners Complete Refinancing Deal

ShIt

8. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

YES!!! Liverpool are staring down a black hole of oblivion

9. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Utterly classless.

10. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven

Shame but not unexpected. I shall not contribute one iota in sales of LFC merch. so Hicks can line his pockets and/or enrich his Rangers team or whatever. I hope to see the end of these two clowns sooner or later. I still love the club and I hope the players can hold on. Sad day for the club and for football in general. :(

11. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will take the same stance. It looks like my jersey/season review DVD collection ends here, at least until things change. 10 seasons worth, kind of disappointing. Has to be more disappointing for the supporters who are older than I am.

12. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003

I suspect a win in the CL this season or in the FA Cup will calm things down a bit...

Having said that-I think that lack of understanding of the intensity of support and poor personnel/media management created the hole they have dug-and if they aren't careful, a black hole it will be- bad for the team, bad for the fans.

13. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven

I disagree. It is always time to stand behind your principles otherwise you haven’t got any. It isn’t a boycott; it is my hard earned money and I shall do with it as I please. I do not want my money going to the Rangers baseball team and I do not trust these two even if they say it isn’t. If football is only a business transaction then let it be so. There is a lot of competition for my hard earned dollars in this world.
    Hicks isn't worth enriching.
    [youtube]FvbqubILw2w[/youtube]

14. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt

hey, why no damage control from these morons?

say you owned a team and you did and said something really stupid... even if you didn't think so at the time, you can see what kind of backlash it has had with your fanbase. they protest at matches, in the papers -- even your most hated rival calls you out for being classless -- wouldn't you do something to win back the hearts of the fans, players, and coaches? call a press conference to give strong and consistent support to your manager (even if you are going to fire him in the summer -- doesn't matter to us now)... sign a big player before the window is up... do some kind of fan appreciation night at the stadium... commit yourself to the success of the team somehow... do SOMETHING...

instead of doing something, these turds have focused all of their energy on tightening their grip on a team that doesn't even want them around -- haven't even said a word except to say that 'hey, we almost fired the manager behind his back, don't talk about new signing new players, and we're going to use this club as a personal piggy bank, ... oh, and also, the super-amazing stadium we were going to build? not going to happen.. but it'll be kinda okay...'

i just don't get it... they're americans, they should be trying to spin all of this into a positive light, right? do they just not care enough even to try to trick us into thinking they are great?

pathetic...

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The owners have made their own bed with their idiotic actions and must now learn to live with any consequences, whether thats merchandising boycotts or vocal criticism at games etc.

Sorry but you have to have some sort of responsibility when taking over a club like Liverpool. The owners are not the be all end all. At a time like this, it is important to stick to principles, especially against such spineless twits as G & H.

16. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will still support the players and Rafa, but instead of buying kits, dvds, scarves, etc, I will just send my money straight to Rafa. With this attached note:

Dear Rafa,

I appreciate all that your trying to do to help our club win the title. Since I have a good feeling that my money spent on merchandise wouldn't get spent by you directly I am mailing you my 150 USD so you can spend it wisely (like for a pair of boots or something for a player).

Sincerely

--------------------

See let's say 5,000 unhappy Liverpool supporters from around the world send Rafa 150 dollars, that's 750,000 dollars, enough to buy a mediocre youth player :D

17. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006

cant we ban this ********ing Manc C*nt from our boards:rolleyes:

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He's that Liverpool-hating Chelsea supporter known as ...

Actually, he goes by a legion of names most of which he uses to post on Liverpool boards. Ever heard of a USA ArsenalLFC supporter who claims to live in London? Hilarious, no?

19. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

I agree, all this poster knows is womens football. Whenever he posts here it is just a trolling post to insult our club. His posts give no value whatsoever.

20. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I for one will support my club -- not the owners. That means a boycott won't hurt billionaires it'll hurt the club.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

21. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Stupid American investers.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

If you refuse to buy merchandise, DVDs, go to games, etc. you're just hurting yourself. Why would you deny yourself something you love? To make a silly point to the owners that they're not go to hear, feel, or care about anyway?

Being American, I just sense that these owners never saw this coming. I can't remember the last time a group of American sports fans called for the ouster of the owners. It's unthinkable over there. Americans don't think of their teams in that way. The team belongs to the owner and he does with it as he sees fit. Owners move their teams from city to city if they want to. The team doesn't belong to the fans. I guess you'd have to be American to see the cultural difference with this one.

23. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto

Actually, Ive been well out in front of the anti-hicks movement for a while now, ever since i saw rafas reaction in that press conference i thought that the guy must have treated him like a child and i thought was incredibly stupid thing to do, but....

...With the new deal now in place and the announcement, if it comes to pass, that provisions have been made to pick up the monster mash and more funds available for the summer, well if that was the plan all along than in fact rafa was simply muddying the water or working at cross purposes and this much vaunted "communication gap" story actually might hold a little water to be fair....

...and if you look at the actual team building process, they have re-re-designed and seemingly funded a better stadium with a larger capacity that will meet our long term needs much better, and they have sanctioned big ticket spending on babel torres the skirt and now mash (if), albeit with some sales, and seemingly there are funds in place for next summer as well......

....If if if and if they keep rafa on as they claim is the plan my pendulum might swing back to mildly annoyed at these guys from hang em high on the 3:10 to yuma departing tombstone. This is the first time in about 3 months i remember booting up in the morning and reading good news instead of bad. nice change.

24. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003

I guess you weren't old enough to watch Georgia Frontiere and her right hand man John Shaw loot the LA/Anaheim Rams to the point where due to the loss of credibility with the fans in LA attendance dropped to nothing and they had to move (and made even more money in St Louis)...

The fans in LA were appalled at what they did to the team (underpaying players, etc) and were screaming for a change in management/ownership, then when it didn't happen, just stopped going at all, forcing the move...

I suspect that NY Knick/Ranger fans are doing the same these days...

At least then they cared about the team-unlike the Clippers, where weak management is totally expected from the fans, and a winning year is a total aberration...

25. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va

i agree with bobinhood. now that the refinancing has gone through we're stuck with them, aren't we? so since we are and now that they have committed to holding on to mascherano and implicitly backed rafa and gotten the pieces put together for a new, quality stadium, maybe we should just try to move on. all this drama has been embarassing and destructive; let's just get back to the football and try to salvage an FA cup win, a champions league title and a top four finish