In Bruges: Owen Otasowie at Club Brugge

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Nov 18, 2017.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It might not be that miss or not just that. There could be other factors. For example, Otasowie may not be progressing quickly enough in learning Portuguese.

randomnoise and Jamooky repped this.
  2. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    He got hurt and wasn't on the bench the next 2 games. They've played all 0 or 1 goal matches since then, and are not in a super comfortable spot in the table. I don't (and didn't) expect him to play that many meaningful prem minutes in close games this season given how raw he still is.

I think Nuno has earned a bit of a longer leash than y'all are giving him. If OO ends up playing in 7-10 total Wolves first team matches this year I'll consider that to be a massive success and more than I anticipated. He's a case where that's better than a loan, considering that he's a project without that much experience it makes sense to keep him close. Just haven't had many spot mins to throw him lately.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, but he has been coming in with a game riding on the line.
    Is not like he only sees time when there is a blowout.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From where I sit, the kid should have been loaned out. He needs game time, not to sit on the bench for an underperforming team that is RARELY going to get into the proper situation to bring on defensive cover to protect a lead. They should have done some attacking transfer business and loaned out some defenders. They don't seem to be particularly well managed from the sporting standpoint.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show Spoiler
    Refs are red happy!! In Mau U Soton game on now, Soton got one in the 2nd minute!!

6. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    When they had significant injury problems, yes, he got some minutes. I don’t think their plan was “let’s throw OO into close and important premier league games” — they had a thin squad for a month. The expectation should be — he’s not playing Prem matches in close games when they’re mostly full strength. If he does, that’s great. I just won’t expect it.

largegarlic repped this.
  7. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    To where? He should be loaned next season if he’s not a regular squad rotation player. This year — he’s raw and 20 years old. I’m not sure he would’ve played much in the Championship, for instance.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy has the talent to play right now in the Championship. He looks composed on the ball and has a good touch from the minutes I've seen him play.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and mace repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    FA Cup 5th Round game today v Southampton at 12:30 PM eastern.

Still on the bench, unfortunately ...

[​IMG]

BostonRed repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor guy. Still hasn't seen a minute on the field since missing that header. It really is hard to not see it as a coincidence now. IMO, I thought he played quite well during that little stretch.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agreed, but on the plus side, OO remains the heavy favorite for Scapegoat of the Year. :thumbsup:

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't put your hands up after you commit a borderline foul, nor sit in the net after you miss a potential game winner. The officials in charge will judge you more harshly because you looked guilty.

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They are getting their butts handed to them by a team that has lost five straight in the league through 30 minutes. Obviously no changes are needed.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #565 Gacm32, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Moutinho and Neves must be gassed. This is why the manager gets criticized by some circles; he never rotates his squad well enough.

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Yeah, I respect him but he doesn't use his squad enough, in my opinion. Always using subs late, frequently too late to help.

dougtee and Gacm32 repped this.
  17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    VAR scores for Southampton! Wait, maybe it was Ings and VAR just confirmed it. I don't know how this works anymore. I'm expecting a non-OO offensive sub in 25-30 minutes, then.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    nuno has gone from a genius in the making to looking completely incapable of managing a roster all on the back of one injury to jimenez

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy just doesn't trust his full roster... his core set of players are exhausted.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabio Silva blows chance after chances to score and still gets the call.
    OO misses a tough header and stays on the bench for good.
    I guess Americans have a shorter leash in the eyes of Spirito Santo.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... they did pay a ton of money for Silva.... so I understand why they are giving him a legit shot with their elite striker missing... but it really does seem like the coach is punishing OO for that "miss". Why else would he gets looks in a run of games and then never see the pitch again after it? At any rate... I have been saying that their players look tired for a while now and it is only getting worse. The coach got so much credit for them last season and in the end it was pretty much their best player making all of the difference.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, that is horrible player mismanagement. I get benching a player for lack of professionalism or lack of effort.... but a miss? That would be terrible coaching.

ebbro and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got banged earlier in this thread for thinking it was lame that Wolves kept putting him on the bench w/ the 1st team when it was time to re-up his contract and the game after he did they sent him back to the U23s. Perhaps a bit premature because he finally did get his shot. But he was getting legit looks for games in a row and then the miss and not a single minute since.?.? I am no mind-reader but it sure seems like it isn't a coincidence. What is worse is that Wolves have been terrible ever since and the players look tired because of the lack of rotation. IMO, he was pretty decent when given the chance.... not sure why he isn't getting any minutes at all now? Hoping that he all of a sudden does and I get called out again for being too harsh. :)

24. CZM4

CZM4 Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Otasowie hasn’t played since dendoncker returned from injury. Gibbs-white was also recalled from his loan and they signed william jose. The manager doesn’t like to rotate much, so these guys pretty much ate up all of otasowie’s possible minutes.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s such a horrible coaching movie, that I am going to lean against that as his motive, and instead, he’s just slowly bringing him along - even though it is a weird coincidence.