Owen or Martins or Both?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by dazoso, Aug 30, 2007.

1. dazoso

dazoso New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Wisconsin
    So against Boro Owen comes in late as a sub for Martins. Then against Barnsley the opposite. Seeing that Sunday was basically a 4-3-3 line up what's the chances of seeing Martins, Owen, and Viduka as the starting three up front?

2. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not terribly likely, as Owen doesn't play on the wing and he's not a target forward. You'll continue to see Viduka/Ameobi as one and Martins/Owen as the other striker, with a support forward like Milner/Duff/N'Zogbia as the third forward in the set. Were it me, I'd play the passing game and have them both up there without Viduka, but we don't have the team ability for that right now. There are probably only two teams in the Prem that do (Manyoo and Assnal).

3. bburgarelli

bburgarelli New Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Brazil
    Since I dont like Viduka in any way, I would like to see Martins AND Owen up front, just once.

4. Aussie red

Aussie red New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Adelaide
    Why dont you like viduka? whats he done that you dont like about him?

5. retroparty

retroparty New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I think that Martins should always start. ATM he is the best out f the 3. Owen will improve over time so I'd say Viduka would get the job ahead of Owen now, but when Owen is fully fit he should be able to slot into that starting line-up

6. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never been a huge Shola fan, but I am wondering if Viduka is that much better than him. I think it is good to have Viduka on the team and what he can teach Shola will be invaluable. What I have seen of Viduka's play so far this season hasn't been much better that Shola has been the past few seasons.

7. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    i think that viduka has the toughest role on the pitch. he is the target forward and his job is to sit in the box and try to get a touch in. oba/shola are used to run around creating chances for owen/viduka. in the villa match, they had 11 behind the ball on defence.

although viduka/owen are expected to score 15-20 each, i think that we ALL have to realise that we now have quality players and that most teams (from about 6th place down) will be afraid of us and will like to sit back. i use for example the goals we have seen so far... n'zog hitting the back of the net from out side the 18 several times and oba running on balls and also hitting from a distance. Most of our goals against "quality" side will come from oba/zog/milner/barton hitting from distance. owen/vidukas job will be to hold the ball inside the 18, and tap the ball in.

8. Jimbo Asprilla

Jimbo Asprilla New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Lowestoft
  9. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    owen will never be the same top player he was after the knee injury.

but I think he is still valuble to the squad.

Today's game has proven that he still can do things for the squad.