Owen may leave to go abroad

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by sanariot, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Rivaldo would be second striker or on the wing depending on where Kewell is, assuming Hamann comes back to full form after the injury, because I can't see Diouf, Gerrard or Kewell being dropped.

I like the idea of bringing in someone like Rivaldo, not another youngster with promise but someone who can play well this season like Kewell or Finnan, a seasoned professional. :)

2. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Obviously, I would play him at leftback.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Brilliant

That's simply brilliant. If Roberto Carlos can do it, why not Rivaldo??

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I really can't take this Rivaldo talk seriously. If there's one position LFC doesn't need depth at, it's attacking midfield/withdrawn forward.

Baros is coming back and Flo-Po appears Premiership ready. Heskey, despite his limitations, has been decent as Owen's partner.

In the midfield, Kewell, Baros, Diouf, Murphy, Smicer and Tony Le T can all create. And Didi's return will allow Stevie G to get more involved in the attack.

While Rivaldo can be one the top 5 players in the world (and better than all of the players mentioned above) when he is at the top of his game, when was the last time we saw him consistently play at his best at the club level? And given the way he left Barca and he's leaving Milan, I really don't think he's worth the gamble.

5. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Re: Brilliant

I completely agree. Rivaldo is a former FIFA World Player of the Year. Is Roberto Carlos a former FIFA World Player of the Year? No. Rivaldo can do anything Roberto Carlos can and more.

6. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Owen should go to Spain to become a better player.

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivaldo -- just what we need. Certainly another midfielder who doesn't defend will help reduce the pressure on our backline. Its no secret why Riise and D-Jimmy have problems -- they've got to cover the left side with no help.

8. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You think so? Well I suppose any player that goes to La Liga becomes good and all for the same reason, which is (and I think most of you will agree) easy attacking. But, will going to Spain provide Owen a deserved service? Sure he'll score more goals and even be legiable for CL, but will that actaully fill his ambitions? I think any player that leaves the EPL is a fu^king quitter, and Owen would be a loser shitbag if he left cause it would be admitting that the EPL is too tough for him.
    (Same sh^t with Beckyass)

9. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Consistency. Murphy, Smicer, Baros and Heskey are inconsistent, never know if you'll get a performance out of the first three, never know if Heskey has the right studs. Then you have the youngsters TLT and SFP, again they aren't exactly consistent performers.

Diouf, Kewell to a lesser degree and Owen, Gerrard and Hamann (although I hope he comes back from injury ok) to a greater degree ARE consistent, they rarely fall below a certain level.

The hope is, (hope because it isn't guaranteed and thats why we would get him cheap,) someone like Rivaldo, who isn't "one for the future" but is actually a finished article will be another consistent player, then we would have the first choice front six all playing consistently and when a Heskey or a Baros came in, they would be carried if they had an off day, as it is, with Smicer, Heskey and Murphy in the team, you can often end up with a lot of work going the other players way.

This is why I was pleased with Kewell and Finnan joining us, both are finished articles, both of them added something straight away to the team.

Ronaldo is a light weight, but you don't hear both Nevilles, O'Shea and Fortune complaining about lack of cover in front of them when they play full back. I personally reckon our problems can be traced to an imobile centre back playing beside them, this often causes as much grief as a lack of cover up in front.

10. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    La Liga is the best league in the world. You have the stars there but not only that but it is also the most competitive and you have the most skilled players. English players can learn a lot just look at macnanaman. I was watching a man city game and I saw macnanaman doing some moves which I said to myself "he must have learned from zizou" ;)

11. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose you are referring to Sami and I will agree that neither of the H's are speedy, but my reference was to a certain finished article you are happy with. I like his goal contribution, but the next time he tackles someone will be the first time he does so. Gerrard is not really a classic holding center mid and all of those things combined leave the fullbacks exposed. Finnan hasn't the same problem due to the fact that while he can be very chippy EHD will get back and get stuck in.

I think we underestimate the loss of Didi. Like Manure without Keane, without Didi we have no steady cover for the center halves and no one who is always available as an outlet to pressure on the rest of the attackers.

I'm not anti-Rivaldo but I think he'd expect to start regularly and his role would be more like that of Garry Mac in the treble year. Give us an occasional start and a spark in the last twenty minutes. The divergence in expectations would be likely to end in recriminations and become a distraction.

12. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    When Diouf switches to the left wing does he make the defence better on that side? Also, when Kewell goes on the right, do Finnan (and Biscan) have problems?

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yes. You might recall the winning goal away to Charlton when Finnan left with no help was exposed.

14. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
  15. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Let's just think, hypothetically if Owen left what would you want to see happen? Take the money and buy another world class striker or buy Cisse? I am still not sold on Cisse. At this point of his career he should be banging in goal after goal for Auxerre to want so much $$$. I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Van der Vaart with the money and trying to sign a cheaper replacement for Owen. They might not be as good a Owen, but Hasselbaink, Larsson and Kluivert will all be available either on a free(Larsson and JFH) or cheap(Kluivert). And with all the speculation of Martin O'Neill coming south next year he could easily bring Larsson with him.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    No offense, but Stevie Mac was punishing defenders for years in England before he went to Spain. I'm not saying he didn't learn anything there, but he was already a quality dribbler and winger.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You bring up a good point re: Gary Mac. I think the key to that season was that we had veterans like Mac and Litmanen who could keep the first choice players fresh and provide the occasional moment of brilliance, but were happy to play supporting roles when the first choice players were ready again. And as you spoint out, Rivaldo at this point in his career does not fit the profile.

18. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    well ive got nearly 30 years of liverpool screaming behind me, and im not even letting this owen talk bother me..

if he goes he goes.. and better he goes now while hes still worth something...

if he stays, he stays, but once Milan is back fit, and Flo has settled in, whos to say (and this is being completly objective) he will even be first choice..

Milan has had one season in the premiership effectively, but i think we all know what he is capable of. FSP has been in the premiership matter of weeks.. already won us one match, got us a draw in another, and should have had the penalties awarded to get a pt against united, and a win against borough.. to be honest, if i was a defender FSP would scare the crap out of me cos he only seems capable of running in one direction.. FORWARDS

as someone said, add Kewell whos already showing hes going to pick up from midfield, Gerrard who we know can pop em in, Murphy who saves his goals for the big games, but at least he scores em... Even traore is on a goalscoring streak :)

Wed live...

We coped without rushie even if he did come running back with his tail between his legs...

Wed cope without young micheal..