Owen may leave to go abroad

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by sanariot, Nov 12, 2003.

1. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mark madden

mark madden New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    pittsburgh, pa
    re: owen leaving

first off, let me state that i unequivocally hope michael owen stays at anfield. he has done massive things for the club and has a pristine image that serves liverpool very well.

but, re: qualifying for champions league, it seems that no one can affect that remedy more than michael owen himself. between his injuries and his streaky scoring, he has hardly been as influential as his goal totals might suggest.

i always laugh when a team gets relegated...then all of that team's "star" players scramble to other premiership clubs. weren't they a big reason the club got relegated in the first place? this smacks of the same thing. if liverpool doesn't make champions league, doesn't much of the burden of blame lie with michael owen?

furthermore, if madrid are really willing to pay 27 million for owen, couldn't that sum be used to strengthen liverpool beyond what michael owen, as an individual, does for them now? doesn't it also look like either sinama or baros (or both) could develop into a top-class striker? liverpool could easily become a better team on the other side of selling michael owen.

i realize that owen's problems aren't totally of his own making. he needs midfielders who can play him through, and liverpool hasn't enough of those. but for every wonder performance by owen (like the 2001 fa cup final) you can name times when owen had a chance to kill games, but didn't (the 2002 champions league tie vs. leverkusen). i wouldn't call michael owen overrated. but i might not argue too vociferously if YOU did.

keegan left. souness left. rush left (then returned). dalglish retired. liverpool has always managed to come back better and better. selling owen would not be a disaster. frankly, it might provide a much needed new beginning for him and liverpool.

but michael...be careful what you wish for. cos if you think madrid would sit raul or ronaldo very often, you may find yourself quite sadly mistaken. you're not a drawing card/merch salesman on the order of beckham. playing you would be based on football and nothing else. if madrid are willing to sell raul or ronaldo, liverpool should queue up, or maybe trade owen for whomever madrid wants to drop.

here's hoping owen stays. here's looking forward to a new beginning if he doesn't. owen may be a great striker. but he's not lifted many trophies at anfield. maybe that's coincidence. maybe it's not. and here's a toast to stevie g for sharing the faith we all do. the kop wouldn't miss michael that much, that's for sure. i've always sensed he's seen as a cake-eater from the rich part of town. not so with the skipper.

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Madden's got it right though. I want to keep him but if he thinks he's gotta go do it now and get us the loot to add players.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Agreed.

Anyhow, I figure he has more than earned the right to pick his destination as he has stuck around through some frustrating seasons at Anfield and scored some big goals during the Treble season (vs Roma and vs Arsenal come to mind).

5. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way this is what our young captain had to say, "I've been here since I was eight years old and there has never been a single moment when I have wanted to move on and play for someone else".

Now that's the spirit.

6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Real would not pay 27 mil for Owen for 2 reasons: they dont need the guy, and they cant afford him in terms of meeting the players written value. Honestly when I read the article I assumed Owen was just talkin sh^t and that his whole statement was just some psychological attempt to threaten the Red's mangement. I wouldn' be surprised if Chelsea picked him up during mid-season...if he refused then Real could get him as a free agent. (When exactly does his contract expire?)

7. mark madden

mark madden New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    pittsburgh, pa
    how many strikers does chelsea need?
    owen's deal expires, i think, after the 2004-05 season. correct me if i'm wrong.

8. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are exactly right, Summer 2005.

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I can't see Owen going to Chelsea. While he's not necessarily a true Red in the sense of Gerrard, Carra, Fowler, etc, etc (yes I know Robbie grew up a bluenose, but you know what I mean), I just don't see him going for that. I see Europe as his first choice.

If we have Baros and Flo scoring goals AND we have an attacking midfield that pops them in on a regular basis, then I say get the millions and buy some talent. If not, we're screwed. It's totally dependent on whether Diouf, Gerrard, Murphy and the like can start putting the ball in the net to compliment the strikers we hope to have at that point.

10. mightyredone

mightyredone New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Re: re: owen leaving

The days you refer to where as you know, when we where top of the tree.Sadly we are no way treetop at this moment. What you are referring to is like Beckham leaving Manushited, and them not being affected . Unfortunately MO is too important a piece in an average machine, his departure probably would be disastrous. As for the money gained from his sale. I have no confidence it would be well spent. Cisse aint in this boys league .

11. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look this whole non-event and non-story is the product of an English soccer press facing an entire fortnight without any significant English footballing to talk about. The friendly is just that a friendly with no interest, Soooo for the London press why not come up with a way to give the Scouser's some stick and make a story at the same time.

12. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Re: Re: re: owen leaving

HAHAA!!!!!! Thats why I love this forum..u never know what new interesting expressions u'll find!

(that was brilliant :D)

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    True enough, but the concept of Michael Owen not being here next season is hardly a ridiculous one.

14. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its still a story to sell papers and take the piss out of Liverpool when Stevie G signs on for 3 more.

15. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Definitely. But I think this thread has moved beyond discussion of the story and to the more realistic aspect...that he very well may not be here next season, and can we deal with it??

16. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. On that i agree with Maden that while its not to be preferrred, it wouldn't be the end of the world. World class strikers don't grow on trees but if he's intent on going then strike a good deal and see what we can buy. I see that as over and above lads like Boumsong and Cisse who I think have already had funds set aside for us to buy. 4 good players at 7 million apiece could do us quite well. Again, not the preferred option but....

17. mightyredone

mightyredone New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    The story is real and true, I think we are being 'massaged' into accepting the situation, so if/when it happens it was no surprise. I think SFX and MO and possibly LFC are putting their toes into the water and gauging the response. My response is NO FOCKING WAY LET HIM GO ANYWHERE.

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I should know this...but how old are these kids and how long have they been playing at a professional level?? I'm not really not too keen on Hou buying some more potential. I think we'd all like to see some solid almost-but-not-yet veterans come in and fill in the gaps of inexperience that naturally come with buying 19-20 year olds.

19. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cisse is 22, and is in his 4th year in the first team at Auxerre, (I think). He is better than "potential", but he hasn't hit his stride yet. We're likely getting him for free, as he's been waiting for his contract to run out to sign with us: http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/q2521.html

Boumsong is 23, doesn't have quite the same buzz around his, but still looks like a solid player. Same boat, contract wise. See: http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/031001/21/e9wmr.html

20. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    You are thinking about players like Traore who were nobodies when they were bought, as Matt said in a previous post. The Auxerre kids - Boumsong, Cisse, and even Mexes - are all under 23 but already play for France. Houllier has been rightly criticized for buying potential before, but I think there is a limit to what you can label "potential." Certainly if Houllier were to one day sign Van der Vaart from Ajax I would hope that no one calls him a unproven prospect.

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Fair enough. The question was asked out of ignorance, and was no way meant to be accusatory in nature.

22. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Oh no. Cisse's contract doesn't expire for years. Boumsong would be available for free at the end of the season but Cisse would cost a lot of money. Last summer, Auxerre apparently had to fend off bids of around 10-20 million from Barcelona and Chelsea. Houllier's friendship with Roux will ensure that Liverpool have first option, but he won't be cheap by any means.

23. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Oh, I understand that. Frankly I don't rate Cisse as highly as some people do, so I wouldn't be displeased if Liverpool went for someone else instead (though the advantage of any Cisse deal is that Liverpool would not have to get into a bidding war). Also, I don't know if Boumsong will be better than Hyypia or Henchoz, but Houllier should certainly take a chance because he will be free soon. :)

I just want to add that I love transfer news, even if the majority of rumors are crap. Isn't it about time to start a dedicated thread for the winter transfer period? :)

24. mightyredone

mightyredone New Member

Aug 17, 2003

The word on the street is 16 million , is he in Owen's league?