Overtime question

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UFGator98, Sep 27, 2003.

1. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I thought in college soccer, OT was 2 10 minute periods? Has this changed? I just saw where Stanford beat St. Mary's in 2 OT's tonight, the game winning goal scored in the 111th minute. How did they play past 110 minutes?

2. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Soccer numbers

When the clock ticks 9:00 in the second overtime, it is the start of the 110th minute. However in the NCAA, there is no injury time as the clock stops for injuries etc. If the goal was scored as time expired it may be listed as the 111th minute. I suspect someone on the field or in the press box was confused, not an uncommon experience in college soccer.

3. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    According to the story on the St. Mary's website the goal came in the 106th minute.

The only way a goal could be scored after 110 minutes is if a penalty kick were awarded as time was running out, in which case the kick would be taken even though there would be no time left on the clock. It would still be the 110th minute, I believe.

The box score lists the time of the goal as 111:47 which is probably a scorekeeping error. (that would actually be the 112th minute)

4. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Thank you both for the reply. I just wasn't sure if the OT time limit had changed. I figured it must be an error, but didn't know.