Overtime [Poll]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by photar74, Aug 6, 2002.

1. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    While obviously ditching the shootout and letting the ref keep time on the field were significant improvements for MLS, I think the ten minute overtime for regular season games is one "MLS specific" rule that is actually quite good. In fact, I think other leagues should adopt it.

I really like the feeling when watching a game in the final few minutes and realizing that the team down one goal can not only manage a draw, but can actually still win. This is especially true in situations where a team must win the game. Its pretty cool that a late euqalizer leaves the game in doubt, rather than simply being a dramitic and "OK--we'll take it" finish.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this will generate any discussion, but I just wanted an excuse to avoid grading the 35 papers I have left tongiht.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    what is the point of the third option?

i realize it's a poll, but is it a contractual obligation to have it in all polls????

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    a better third option would have been to lengthen OT

now please excuse, eddie vedder is calling

4. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep the overtime, BUT would like to lengthen the overtime AND use a single table. Why on Earth do you want to bring back the crappy shootout?

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i voted no OT... but i would change it for an extra 5 or 10 minutes on each side (10 or 20 minutes total)... 5 minutes is just too short

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep the OT. 10 minutes is good. 20 would be better. 30 would be best.

But I know all about the 2 hour TV window so I am happy the way it is.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep the overtime, I wouldn't support overtime if the season was 38 games long but at 28 I don't think its too much for players to go 100 minutes.

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

true enough, so i suppose that would really have to be something discussed if things were more favorable on the tv side

as there are a lot of games on basic cable, espn2 is not the only channel... just the only basic cable channel for national games

9. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    What I meant by the thrid option was:

"Don't stop at ditching overtime, let's ditch all non-European rules!"

I think I like overtime at 10 minutes. 20 would be okay I guess, although I like 10 better. 30 should only be used in extreme situations (WC, major club competetiions, etc.).

10. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Moved to the MLS General Discussion forum, please don't post polls here.

11. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Whoops.

Sorry about that. Didn't read the guidleines.

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    There is nothing wrong with doing things differently than Europe. In fact I prefer it. I voted to bring back the SO, because it's the closest thing to what I would prefer. That being 90 minutes followed by OT as we have it now, then a SO that was ONLY for determining who recieved the third point.

I liked the SO, I just hated the points resulting from the outcome. It was always silly to only award one point total. I should mention that the best scoring system would be the A-league's 4 points for a win and a bonus point for a 3 goal day. I think that would dovetail nicely with a 2-point SO win. I'm also sure I'm one of only about 3 people who think so. Pity.

13. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Keep OT but lengthen it to two 10 minute halves. The 5 minute halves just dont work the players dont have any time to work anything before the match is over.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say keep OT for the simple reason that, without it, MLS will come up with something much worse!
    Seriously, though, I don't mind it too much. Interestingly, I've noticed that many, many Europeans LIKE having games go down to penalty kicks. During the WC, many told me they were HOPING games would end in draws.
    So the American "need" (real or assumed) for an OT tie-breaker isn't so weird in their eyes, I would assume.

15. DML99DML

DML99DML New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    how in the world could 5 people want to bring back the shootout. I like the current format. With the two 5 minute overtimes there seems to be a good number of games decided in that time frame.

16. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I like the time of overtime as well. I wouldn't be willing to risk the extra injuries to see 10 more minutes of E.T. Plus, the TiVo wouldn't pick it up anyway! :(

17. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I don't mind to overtime, but 100 minutes of soccer is plenty, especially with the 4:00 games. It does add a little excitement, takes (at least slightly) away from the strategy of playing for a tie, and it's short enough that the game isn't decided by fatigue. Plus, it's something that makes the MLS a little different, but not too different. While Euro leagues end in a tie after 90, every soccer fan in the world has seen "golden goal" games (as opposed to the shootout, which was different, but just plain stupid).

I also don't mind a few pk games in the Cup. It's high drama, especially after a well-played game. What I don't like is teams that play for pks, especially from the opening minute.