Overrated bands

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by zverskiy yobar, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Anyway I saw the list of all the Beatles' covers and I just noticed A Perfect Circle has a cover of Imagine. So I watched it and in the first minute or so I'm pretty sure there's a clip of Sam's Army and then fans of Ecuador.

2. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah the theory is very strong that if your on Big Soccer there's a plus 90% chance your like Smiths/Morrissey. Put me in the camp that believes Big Soccer bring in a few hundred Smiths fans with all this droning on and on about them.

After a while you can't stand it anymore and give in, try and then come out liking the stuff.

3. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    It was hyperbole, L858. I didn't bring up the idea that the Beatles influenced everyone who followed, and I thought that saying that Slipknot was derivative of the the Beatles would be seen through as an obvious prank.

If you are afraid of appearing to have bad taste, it seems hypocritical to come around telling others that their taste is patchy, expecially when the position you are taking is contrary to commonly held popular opinion. This doesn't mean that being popular is aesthetically superior -- that's not the case -- but for a band to be popular and critically acclaimed, everyone can't be wrong, can they?

What do you think my point is? Certainly not to single you out or make fun of your choices. Not hardly. No. My interest is to find out what you like so that I can understand better your aesthetic. You have one, and it may not be terribly consistent, which is fine. But how can we have a proper discussion if we never agree on what our fundamental positions are. Defining your taste in the negative ( "I hate Britney and Christina" ) simply isn't enough.

I was hoping that my posting a list of my faves would set the groundwork for a critical discussion, but it looks like you aren't up for that. Who knows? Your favorite music might be something with which I am not familiar and would enjoy if I were exposed to it.

I do want to express my appreciation for your overall tone in your last post. It seemed pretty open-handed.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I never said anyone had bad taste. All I said was that I think the Beatles are overrated/over-hyped. Now you, on the other hand, singled me out by saying I was only 19 and basically had no right to hold that opinion because I never experienced the feel of them in their prime.

Since you want to know my favorite bands/artists, here I'll list them:

Lifehouse*
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Matchbox 20 (only 1st first and 3rd album)
    Eric Clapton (his stuff from Cream of Clapton)
    Nirvana
    Sublime
    Live
    Switchfoot
    John Williams (ok he's a movie composer, but oh well)

Then a lot of my favorite songs are from other bands, but I don't have their albums so it wouldn't be fair to put them as my favorites. And yeah, I'm aware that Lifehouse "sucks" in everyone's opinion but I think Jason Wade is a great lyrisist...and I'm not even sure if that's a word.

[*People only know them by "Hanging By A Moment"]

Now that we got that out of the way, let the bashing begin! =\

5. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Overrated Bands:

Blink182
    Sum 41
    Linkin Park (im a Linkin Park fan but even I must admit all there songs sound the same)
    Korn

And thats all for now.

-N1

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Interesting -- I think we have a bit more in common in our musical tastes than you might originally have thought, I being a rabid fan of Cream and EC. I was blessed to have seen Cream 4 times, live, including a spectacular concert at the Orange County Convention Center during the Wheels of Fire period. Clapton was still using heroin, I'm pretty sure, cuz he just stood there on stage playing his amazing runs.

I would call Live one of the more underrated bands, mostly because they have never gotten much airplay other than 'Lightening Crashes', perhaps because of his/their lyrical vision.

Switchfoot is not a band I have had much exposure to, and I don't own any of their music. I looked on their website, and it sounds promising. Sublime is a local band ( Long Beach CA ) and I like a bit of their stuff, but not a lot, because it's a bit too SoCal hiphop/punk/ska for me. I don't do drugs at all, and the playful attitude about pot puts me off some.

So, Lith858, sorry to disappoint. Looks like the cage match is off. No UFC for us. Unless you want to talk smack about the Beatles, yo!

Thanks for meeting me more than half way.

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Heaven" by Live was pretty popular too. It's one of my favorites by them actually.

You'll get to hear Switchfoot during halftime at the MLS Cup this year. I'm pretty wure they'll perform "Meant To Live" cause it's the song that got them on the board.

And yeah, I know what you mean about Sublime. They can be a little vulgar in their songs, but I still like them.