Overheard during the Notre Dame game...

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by railguitar, Sep 1, 2002.

1. railguitar

railguitar New Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Grand Rapids, MI
    During the Notre Dame - Maryland game, Brent Musberger and Gary Danielson got into a discussion about Shane Walton, the ND cornerback who got three interceptions and was their player of the game.
    Apparently Walton was a high school All-American soccer player and was on a U-16 or U-17 national world cup team. They had a graphic up about that. "You expect a soccer player to have good footwork, but this guy's got good hands too," said Gary. They also had asked Walton at some point about whether he'd played with any of the guys on the US National team, apparently he'd told them three (who? Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien?) and that he still followed them.
    Walton's probably old news to those of you who've kept tabs on all possible USMNT prospects since infancy, I'm sure. That's not the point. What I didn't hear was some put-down of soccer in their discussion, although I'm sure they're not soccer fanatics by any means. I'm glad of that.
    But I'm not glad he's playing football, especially for Notre Dame...I root against them!

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. Must be time to search around the Notre Dame site a little just to find some info to throw back at some American footballers against the real football.

3. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    If its the same kid, I think he led the ND soccer team in scoring as a freshman, then decided to switch to football. Sounds like he has professional-level talent for both sports.

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Notre Dame sucks. My favorite college football team is their next opponent.

5. SpeakEasy8

SpeakEasy8 New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm sure you meant their opponent after this week's push-over. :D

6. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Me too. I hope ND is crappy for another 20 years. That and whoever beats Alabama are favs of mine.

7. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I think that we all think alike here. That and hoping that Nebraska, Miami, yadda yadda lose everyone one of their games.

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    why can't northwestern be good all the time, i'd rather cheer for them than my illini

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the topic is Walton, I'm sure we can find another forum for this to go to, maybe youth teams.

If the topic is Notre Dame, it's going to Other Sports.

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I believe he used to play in san diego for the youth team nomads.

11. bison

bison New Member

Nov 29, 2000
    New England
    why all the ND bashing?

Me - I hate BC.

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gary Danielson is an a**hole when it comes to talking about soccer. I hear him all the time on his local radio show in Detroit trashing the game. During the World Cup it was so bad that I wanted to drive down to the station and pistol whip his @ss. His footwork was so bad with the Detroit Lions that he couldn't last a minute in a soccer game. He's all about calling soccer a boring sport at every opportunity. He's a pinhead. Despite his good football commentary, knowing what he thinks about soccer has led me to despise him. I'm really surprised he didn't rip on the sport when talking about Walton.

13. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    I also heard the comments about Walton's soccer past. I don't know if he actually played on youth national teams. I think they meant he played on youth club teams that won national club championships. I remember reading about him in Soccer America. After leading ND in goals his freshman year and leading his club team to the U-19 national championship, he switched to football. At least he's doing well in football as a defensive back. It would be much more depressing if he quit a starring role on the ND soccer team to kick field goals (although that's what Daniel Hernandez apparently wants to do, if the NFL gave him a chance).

14. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Also, I agree with the original comment. It was refreshing to hear them mention soccer during a college football game without any negativity. Showing awareness of the USMNT was just a shocker.

15. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    It is jealousy.

Anyhow, Walton was very impressive, MVP for the game, and I think it is a good statement for soccer that a soccer player can be comfortable in both sport environments. I know there are some who will speak ill of him or say how football is seen as more promising for young athletes. But, I think it is good that someone can excel at soccer and then go and star on one the best football teams in the country (OK, at least in the top 20.)

And look at this guy - he doesn't look like your typical soccer player.

16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musburger seems to be good for a soccer plug or two the few times I have head him on Tony Kornheiser. Not surprised to see him mention soccer in a positive light during a college football game.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Notre Dame hasn't exactly endeared themselves to the rest of the college football fans by 1) being successful over the long run and having such a tradition 2) having their own TV deal when the other schools had to share $$ with their conferences, and 3) going to bowls when other schools with similar records stayed home. They're all right with me, tho, and always have been- I grew up hearing too many people yell "Rowl, Tahd, Rowl!" to hate on the Fighting Irish.

18. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    I always root for the best college.

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    "That's all right! That's okay!
    They're gonna work for us one day!"

--- famous Northwestern chant, voiced while losing. It gets chanted a lot. :)

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my favorite notre dame highlight was Terry Hogue blocking a ND field goal attempt during the sugar bowl.....herschel ran wild and the Dawgs won the national championship!!

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    any college that can sprout "Catholics vs Convicts" is too annoying. Go Nits

22. Grady08

Grady08 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Wisconsin?? Yeah, they've won a lot...Kidding...don't want to upset too many people...Walton might have left the greatest game on earth, but at least it got some decent mention on a prime time football game...

Peace.

23. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one who hated BC from New England....I think it's jealousy on the part of the other posters. Me, I was at the game so I'll have to go back and look at the tape to find the part about Walton. They just need to work on getting the ball in the endzone.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Truth hurts. The look on Jimmy Johnson's face when Miami choked was priceless. I think a hair actually moved on that lacquered fat head of his.