Overall Average Player Ratings

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Bilgediver, May 17, 2021.

1. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can agree or disagree if 5 games is enough of a sample size in terms of if a player is playing well in Vanney's system or just plain ready for the season. Now I tend to use whoscored ratings, like them or dislike them. So far they seem to agree with my eyes.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/1117/Show/USA-LA-Galaxy
    upload_2021-5-17_11-58-21.png

These overal average ratings really jibe with what my eyes have been telling me so far in terms of who has been playing really well and who hasn't, and they prove what we all know about Bond, he is an absolute beast of a goalkeeper.

Beakmon FC, hav77, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The ordering seems fairly accurate to me as well.
    Alvarez is the most underrated imo. He had at least 3 ‘serve-it-on-a-plate’ passes and was unlucky that none of those ended up as assists.
    I think Villafana is a bit underrated as well. He has done a good job of shutting down space and preventing attacks and crosses from coming in from the left side. Its not a coincidence that most of our defensive vulnerabilities seem to come from the center or right side of the pitch.

2in10, shelbo, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When a defender has a quiet day its a good thing

However Efrain is still a little inconsistent to me atm. He needs more quality minutes, such as the recent game against Austin to show his worth. I agree I might have rated him higher a bit but I would still rate him middle of the pack (when rated against each other).

2in10, MPNumber9, ProudNatRN and 3 others repped this.
  4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool chart! Let's do it again in another 5!

2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that organized but thanks for the idea Berks. I follow NASCAR and there are a lot.of statheads who track their own charts in the subreddit, I think I'll do the same myself

Berks, ProudNatRN, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree with middle of the pack. I just don’t see him as 17th out of 20, below the likes of Harvey, Perez, Depuy and Zubak. Neither would whoscored if Grandsir, Chich or whoever else he has served up potential dimes had converted their chances. One of the perils of being a good passer - you don’t control the final outcome.

7. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but in his case I also think it's a small sample size

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Without a doubt. Just gives us something to talk about while waiting for the next game. :)

Bilgediver repped this.
  9. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to compile stats from whoscored, and I find it interesting that the Player stats doesn't include Minutes for the game stats, but somehow its included here for summary stats.
    I'm not paying for Statdump API's lol I'm literally copy and pasting stats into an excel spreadsheet.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How much is the API? Ive always been interested in building my own statistical model for predicting MLS games and having a database of individual stats would be great for that.

11. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't know, honestly. I found a website is almost an "open source" version, called Statbomb, and a lot of websites are based on statbomb. One such is:
    https://fbref.com/en/comps/22/Major-League-Soccer-Stats
    FBREF seems very similar to PFF but for soccer, not American football.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/22/Major-League-Soccer-Stats

I'm honestly thinking about keeping my spreadsheet just related to whoscored ratings alone, and not the other stats due to the much better other websites that do that for you lol.

-edit
    nevermind, PFF is based on exactly the same stats website, stathead

12. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a pretty good approximation. As others have said, Efrain could be higher. A notable difference b/w WS and Opta is Opta tallies "secondary" assists, whereas WS does not (i.e. Sacha had a secondary assist on Chicharito's goal vs. Austin) so he also might rated a bit higher in that system.

I like that WS breaks down key pass types (i.e. from a corner, cross, throughball type) but I feel it sorely misses recoveries, which is a hugely important stat that Opta has. Up until the last couple years there was a fantasy site that maintained opta stats for all MLS players, including recoveries which are not shown on the MLS stat site anywhere. As MLS has gotten larger, it seems to have stamped out a lot of open source stat farms (although I haven't looked closely lately).

2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MLS should be pushing open stat sites. Fantasy teams took a popular sport like football and blasted it through the roof. And stats promotes sports betting and builds narratives and just generates interest in general. That's why the NBA will tell you where someone stands on triple doubles on Tuesday nights in leap years.

The stupid MLSsoccer.com website has managed to get even worse when it comes to stats. You look at most goals scored, click on entire table and the players listed are no longer live links. That is just one example of a downgrade from last year. I can't remember the other examples but I know I've looked and other important stats have just been dropped from the site. It's just dumb.

As I've said many times, Garber is great for running a league but marketing... not so much.

2in10, JPAR, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s amazing how MLS manages to make their website and app worse every year.

2in10, JPAR, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This new redesign sucks. I can't find anything, and the new stats page blows.

2in10, TrickHog, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they got rid of comments

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Its like they are against fan engagement.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's quite shabby. Players not being live links particularly is a huge miss. I'm honestly not sure how you find the stat page for some players, especially inactive ones (looks like there's no longer a search in the stats page). In general, the overall match center is a big downgrade (although, I like that they've added xG and some other stats) but the old BoxScore was amazing.

We were probably spoiled really. I'm not sure any other soccer league is such a resource as MLS was for years and I imagine as the league grows, the cost of maintaining that increases as well. But yeah, it'd be great if MLS sponsored a separate stats site or something for us nerds.

Berks repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Right? Impossible to find info, player names no longer live links, important stats dropped. They have an email contact for the website - feedback@mlssoccer.com. I will be sending them my complaints later today or tomorrow. I would urge anyone else who has complaints to do the same over the next week or so.

They still have some good articles - like Doyles Armchair Analyst this week where hr talks about the resurgence of the Galaxy. But no end of the article comments are allowed, just Twitter links. The comments at end of article created immediate fan engagement that created - why drop it? Not everyone wants to go to another platform (twitter or FB) to make their snide response!

And why no fantasy sports contests any more (if that is the case - I didn’t look too hard)?

Most of you probably don’t even go there any more - understandably so. Still be worth complaining - so they will create a site you would want to visit!

Berks, JPAR, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look no further than our beloved G's.

How many different season tickets sites/apps have we have in the last five years?

Even last weekend, I had to use the AXS app because the Galaxy app kept glitching when I tried to pull up my tickets for scanning.

TrickHog repped this.
  23. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I used to love reading the comments section of the power rankings every week. There was a poster (I want to say his name was Fredzilla) who would recreate the meeting where they decided who was going where on the power rankings. It was absolute gold.

skydog, MPNumber9, JPAR and 3 others repped this.
  24. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, it was one of my favorite parts of the power rankings every week.

skydog, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they're still doing the Fantasy League, but in years past you could access all the fantasy stats just by going to the fantasy portion of the site without even signing up to play. For the most part, you could just copy and paste the tables. Additionally, there used to be a handful of 3rd party / amateur sites that had already downloaded / aggregated the data and made it freely available in various file formats (these might still be available, but the one I used to visit was last updated in 2015). I just assumed that as MLS realized the data were actually valuable, they put a kibbosh on that so they could offer it exclusively through some official channel.

TrickHog repped this.