Outstanding BB and Supporters Article in Post Style

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Aug 15, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Kudos to the Barra Brava, SE, La Norte. Although the article is primarily about the BB, all of you get some well-deserved props. And in a section other than Sports as well. What's next--going to challenge Beckham on the society pages?

Congrats gang.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/14/AR2007081401343.html

Hey mods--please merge with Detter7's thread--I missed that one (and I did check) before I posted this--oops! Then again, can there be too many threads praising the supporter's groups?

2. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not BB, but I am a season ticket holder and go to every game. I've got a question about something in the article:

"Scruggs needs a beer. Bill Pow, beer man to the Barra, scoops dripping bottles out of his tub, no longer bothering with the soggy cash; he'll collect the tab later. Tom Faulkner pounds the bass drum in an ecstatic trance, grinning around the stub of his cigar."

What's up with this? Are you guys allowed to bring in your own beer? Or is Bill Pow a designated RFK beer vendor?

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latter. He's just the one that covers our sections (or one of several, really; but he's been assigned to our sections for a long while).

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Mods - Merge Thread With "8/15 Wp"

5. JOHNL2

JOHNL2 New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Dumfries, VA
    I like the part where they say he doesn't worry about collecting the money he will settle up later. Good to know, I need some free beer during the game. =).

He must make a fortune in tips.

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    he's one RFK beerman in our area.

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Later" means 30 seconds later.

8. JOHNL2

JOHNL2 New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Dumfries, VA
    30 seconds is enough time to "blend in"...

9. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You bring a blender into RFK? Cool--you'll have to let me know where you're "seated".

Actually, you'd get the sense from the article that the only reason the Supporter's Groups buy beverages is to throw them up in the air.

10. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beer that the vendors bring around 135 most often is Miller Lite. Can you think of a better use for Miller Lite than that?

11. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Well, I heard from Madge the Manicurist that Miller Lite softens hands while you do the dishes!

12. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're soaking in it right now.

Oooooh.

No, it's all right, it's Miller Lite.

Spelled wrong, tastes like water.

13. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Arlington VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, awesome article! Awesome online slideshow! Very impressive! Kudos, BB, and kudos to the Washington Post too! I don't think I can find a single factual error or snide comment anywhere! Great stuff! :D

14. ~jer~

~jer~ New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    The PopoZao Room
    Very very cool article. Kudos to all you guys that make the stands bounce. And, btw, it's featured on the front page of the online WaPo right now... In the upper left, which is pretty flippin' sweet.

I was curious, though, about this quote from grillmaster:

GrillMaster Faulkner started with the Eagles and still is a member. But he stopped cheering with that group when he kept getting yelled at to sit down. "I've always been spiritually a part of the Barra," Faulkner says.

"I'm a boisterous guy and like to make noise, and I have a short temper and everything, so I was in my perfect element."

He muses, "Do you choose what you love or who you love? No. It chooses you."

Really? Someone asked you to sitdown? When do the SE's sit?

15. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Foxboro 1999 - the non-SE's that surrounded our section were successful in getting us to sit. They had to get security to go from row to row to order us into a sitting position. GM and several others left our section and headed for the Barra section behind the goal.

One of the worst games in the stands - EVER! Not because of the vocals - which were good, but because we all were forced to sit while watching one of the best DC United games ever! The complete dominance over the Lalas - from Moreno's tap in on the line to the Hartman pass to Benny for the second - DC United held firm in the back, despite Cobi's attempt to hump Pope into submission...

:D :mad:

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really hoping that picture would have been part of the "Tribute" to Cobi.:mad:

19. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Really that picture and the one of the Mexicans giving him the business in Japorea are what Cobi's career was all about...

:D

20. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of us in the diaspora have great jealousy. Strong work, dudes! Front page of style should let the city know that you have arrived, and that a new stadium would be a fine investment.

21. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Er, and his glamor shot...

Sheesh :rolleyes:

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of a joke about how making love in a canoe is similar to Miller Lite...

Great article, by the way. Can't wait to get home to see how it looked in print.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is Coors Light .... I know that joke well :)

Miller Lite* has helped me get laid the last few years, I have nothing bad at all to say about it :cool:

*(MillerLite the beer, not MillerLite the poster!)

24. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Rev got it right. I was slightly misquoted. Those sphincter-humans calling for us to sit down were in Foxboro on SE tickets. Rather than get thrown out after kicking the crap out of those annoying beetles, I went down behind the goal and was welcomed into the 250-strong Barra. It was my epiphany that my spirit lay with la Barra. I left the tailgate committee in capable hands in 2002 and started 'gating exclusively with la barra.

Different strokes for different folks, but that doesn't mean I've got to stomach them. That doesn't mean all SEs are like that, but some are, and that's too many for me. Section 134 rocks, end of story. Paul and many SEs in 134 are good friends of mine.

GM

25. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Wow, did David Montgomery nail that article for a "non-soccer guy?"

If you care to please send him a kind note. I know I will.

I also really hope Oscar and the big guys are proud as this really was a tribute to all he has done over the years and what he has shaped and envisioned his supporters club could grow to be. :eek: