Outsourcing : Beyond the Hype

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by prk166, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    What I was trying to say new jobs of selling yellow page space was just about to open up in Florida. If you are a fairly bright guy they train you to sell you should be able to make over 100 thousand a yr. Now if your living in Arizona and were making about 25 thousand a year would you relocate to Florida for a chance at make 100 thousand or more?

The person I advised to check it out didn't do it. You either want to improve your position or you don't. I don't believe you could have got that job because you could not even figure out what I was saying.

Who said on this "I don't want to start at the bottom" When your not working your on the bottom. To good to work? Even a low paying job to something better comes along is a step up.

I think outsourcing is wrong it was being done when Clinton was in before Bush.

I don't mine paying higher prices for American made, but many American do mind. I would buy foreign if the product was made by Americans in the US.

2. Caliguy

Caliguy New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    In your pc
    Good paying jobs are getting scarce here in Kaliphonia so some of my mates and I are planning to cross the border into Mexico in search of a better life, we plan to send some pesos back to our families here in the states. Wish us luck, my cousin was caught and sent back to the US by Mexican Immigration twice so far.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Will you lay off this racist crap? You can state your opposition to outsourcing without this garbage.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Why are you being suck a dick?

One problem with outsourcing is that we can't consume far more than we produce indefinitely. You seem to think so, but that's voodoo economics to the nth power. It's utter insanity which could destroy the United States, turning us into Northern Brazil.

5. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jobs being outsourced are small relative to call centers, programming, etc but they represent a significant part of the jobs in this industry. This has cost thousands, if not 10's of thousands of jobs lost in this country and moved to 3rd world countries. From a labor perspective we are losing skilled technicians and high paying jobs.

This article says that Technicians in the US make $60 per hour (it's actually about $30) while workers in El Salvador make $300 per month to do the same job (up to $1000 if they get licensed). Do the math.

"Mechanics at Aeroman start at $300 a month and earn as much as $1,000 a
    month -- a good salary in a country where per capita income is around $2,200
    a year. Workers also receive pensions, private health insurance, and free
    airline tickets."

"Aeroman recently won a contract from America West, which has overhauled its
    maintenance practices after being cited by the FAA for deficiencies in the
    late 1990s and 2000. The airline thinks outsourcing makes sense. "It's very
    difficult for a small airline to get the volume to do (all maintenance)
    in-house," says Hal Heule, America West's senior vice president for
    technical operations. Outsourcing, he says, gives "a great deal of
    flexibility, particularly when you're growing. And it works when you're
    downsizing, too, because you don't have to have layoffs."

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg33561.html

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No. America won't turn America into Northern Brazil. But giving people over there jobs might help turn places like Northern Brazil into something a bit better than they are now, and we might shift the inbalance of consumption by enabling those people to have the ability to consume at least a few of the many things which we here consider necesities. And it is possible that if we do have to make a few sacrifices we might just find within our challenges the ability to evaluate better our own existance and become a bit less excessive in our consumption.

My point is, things have to balance out a bit. I am thinking about the people of the world, not just inside or outside certain imaginary lines which we have made, regardless of how much pride we have in them. It is not a good thing for the world when there is so much difference between those who live on one side of the line and those who live on the other side. Providing jobs to those on the other side (rather than having them risk their lives to come to our side searching for jobs) is a wise thing to do.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks. What kind of pressures on computer admin job numbers do you think are occuring because the technology is improving. For example, at one time, software had to be installed on each PC. But now days there is software to help manage those rollouts. Added to that, there are web-based application either built inhouse or things like salesforce.com that require not pc work other than keeping the browser happy and purring. Is maybe the timing of the outsourcing such that it catches everyone's attention but is only the tip of the iceberg? With the iceberg being technology changes?