Outsourcing : Beyond the Hype

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by prk166, Jul 5, 2005.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Look, life isn't static. Things change. If you can't offer skills that are in demand, you'll get passed by. It may not seem fair to you. But on the flip-side, it's not fair to me to be held back from the opportunities. NOr to those with families and jobs who can find the time to make the change and adjust their living accordingly.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he does have a good point regarding the limitation of one's possiblities the older one gets and the more involved one is i.e. ramily.

OTOH, there really are alot of opportunites, for someone at any age, to re invent themself. Open your eyes, money is out there to be made. Security is out there to be had. There are convenient ways to increase your education. There are business opportunities around every corner. There is always a job somewhere for you.

3. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I will do that. It will sound like this:

"Friend, you are stupid for not having enough money or time to start your own business that has probably a 90% failure rate within its first two years, driving you and your family further into debt. I'm not the only one who thinks so...this guy on the internet thinks it, too!"

So when my friend inevitably takes my/your advice and starts their own small business, who is going to work for them? People who are too stupid to start their own business?

4. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some outsourcing news from my world. This should make you feel good about supporting outsourcing. Next time you're at 30,000 feet you may wonder about the value of doing things at home.

"In 2003 the Transportation Security Agency’s Inspector General's report cited the Federal Aviation Administration for inadequate supervision of outside contractors throughout the aviation industry. Since that time airlines have not concentrated on better oversight of their outside vendors but rather have continued their charge in expanding the outsourcing of U.S. mechanics’ jobs. Many argue that the end result is the difference between an experienced mechanic’s high quality job and an entry-level mechanic doing an acceptable job. But even more disturbing is that mechanics working for outsourcers do not have to be licensed. The only oversight of the mechanics is their supervisors earning between $10 and $20 per hour who are required to hold FAA licenses. But who is holding them accountable?"

http://www.elitestv.com/pub/2005/Apr/EEN4251b79c9d777.html

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is a whole separate issue, although a troublesome one. It is not about outsourcing but about hiring competent people to do certain sensitive jobs. Certainly we have to expect that mechanics must be licenced and have the aptitude needed to work on airplanes. If they are not, that is a serious problem which has nothing to do with the issue of outsourcing in general.

6. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Not true. My company just hired someone who got his PhD at age 43. Previous to graduate school he was a manager in an auto parts store.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then I guess you and your family will starve to death. Sorry to hear that.

8. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Your right I don't speak perfect english either but I understand me. I don't understand them and I have the power and they don't. I can buy and sell a whole herd of them and you to most likely.

Nice to be at the top of the heap looking down on the rest of you

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have changed professions twice cause pricks like you think they should screw over Americans so they can save a few bucks.

It is unreasonable to say that Americans should have to re-educate themselves every couple of years cause someone found some cheap, half-assed slave labor somewhere else.

10. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Slave labor? Never. I work only with people who are happy and thankful to have a job.

You had to change professions twice, and I also had to adapt and change from what I wanted to do with my life. On the other hand, some people in the poor countries now have food in their table and are thankful to have work of any kind. It is a tradeoff worth taking.

12. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    There was someone on a coaching site living on Arizona that was not doing as well as they would like. I told they were opeing a new Verizon yellow page office in florida. You go to florida and get one of those new jobs you can make 125,000 a year they didn't go. They didn't want to up root you up root if the money is right.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are ants. We're up here.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly have you been doing that's required so much training and been twice given the boot for cheaper labor? That doesn't sound like a fun experience, to say the least.

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started out in electronic repair, it was a natural extension of what I did in the military, then when those jobs started drying up, I moved into Computer Administration. Which I am doing now, however I saw alot of jobs disappear into the far east. Starting to see jobs come back now, but money invested in certs and training was wasted as the money in those jobs is not what it once was.

16. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Not to speak fo s19d but I see that happen from time to time. In general, don't go into a "knowlege based" profesion if you're not a good problem solver. If one can't use the education to solve poorly defined problems then it's easy to have one's job outsourced. Second, make darn sure you make good day-to-day decisions. People who aren't good decision makers are the first to be let go.

As a clue, if your employer can write your instructions on a sheet of paper and have no other conversation with you to know it will get done they way he wanted, start looking in the want adds. If one needs clear direction, no amount of education will last very long. The best are those who continually redefine their jobs based upon what no one else can do.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know where it really hurts is when you want to move into a higher paying job or if you have to leave cause your call center was outsourced, then you have to start over at a new company. The ability to stay at one company for an extended period of time is difficult. When you have kids, some stability is nice.

18. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    My examples weren't meant to be personal and looking at my post it seems they might have been taken that way. I would have. My comments were more general.

In any event, good luck and I too have had to "change" careers a couple of times.

19. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why you would consider this a seperate issue. Airlines contract out maintenance to central american companies that hire unlicensed and untrained workers to perform the work. Is it only relevant if I discuss the jobs lost in the US? It seems that the safety side issue would be an important part of the discussion.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that you were being personel in your post, I can really only speak for myself in this situation so that is how I was responding.

I wasn't taking any offense to anything you said.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course jobs should not be outsourced in the particular situations in which the outsourcing compromises safety and puts lives at risk. That is something that certainly should be legislated.

What I meant was that the point doesn't have relevance to the argument which I was engaging in. My contention was that in general outsourcing helps needy people in parts of the world where people have much less opportunity and options than we do in the United States.

22. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aircraft maintenance jobs are being outsourced to unlicensed individuals in El Salvador by America West RIGHT NOW. What do you mean by of course they shouldn't be?

I'm sure that helps the people in El Salvador that have fewer options than the trained technicians in the US. But it comes with a price and in this instance we may see that price when it falls out of the sky.

23. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't understand what the hell your talking about. Is there an American there at the public library who can state your argument in a clear manner.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I mean that if your facts are correct, what America West is doing should be stopped. Those particular jobs which are being outsourced to unlicensed individuals by the airlines and which have the potential to put us in danger are jobs which should not be outsourced, for reasons which are obvious and which are not applicable nor have anything to do with the majority of the jobs which are being outsourced.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think he means that somebody he knows was unwilling to move in order to take advantage of a better opportunity.