Outside spin

Discussion in 'Player' started by hambone, Aug 5, 2004.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I am just learning how to put outside spin on the ball consistently it is sweet. Does anyone else use outside (right foot shot curving right) spin? I love it now and I just want to improve my accuracy more. It is so perfect to just test the keeper with to get rebounds though if you don't really have a lot of space. You can just aim for the middle and go for the rebound because the ball turns all of the sudden as compared to inside spin where it is more predictable. And with outside I can still hit it as hard as possible! Well, I can with inside too now but that took tons of practice.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips on aiming or practicing outside spin on the ball?

2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I used it all the time. When I found myself in the middle of the field or to a player on the same side, and wanted to pass to a flank player on the right flank in the air. I put the ball over his right shoulder. No way a defender even marking close would get to the ball because the ball was moving away from the defender who is between the goal and the defender inside the field. Try doing it with a glider passes which are short higher passes as well as longer passes.

Shooting a hard low shot to the right side using the right foot the ball moves away from the keeper. Got to have confidence in your skill to make it happen.

As a coach I had a corner kick taker who could do it with his right foot from the right side of the field. So the ball acts as an inswinger using the right foot.

He would set the keeper up for it by making the first 3 or 4 with his right foot outswing further and further out. Then all of a sudden when he had the keeper playing a little further out. He would try to sneak an inswingger moving behind him on the near post. He got some goals doing it. I lost him to the navy unfortuneately.

3. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I also do that all the time. It just takes practice, if you're already a strong right-footed shooter/passer. I actually score a lot of goals with it. More often than anything, on a breakaway I will shoot from about 20 yards out with a wicked right foot/right curve outside of the foot shot. The trick is, I shoot it "wide". I can pretty consistently make it look like it's going to go wide, and either the goalie will let it go, or he has no chance to get to it anyways since it has been shot pretty far out of his reach in the first place.

As for using that technique to pass, it's a very effective tool in dropping a through-ball in behind a defense when you have a left-side winger making a run to the middle. It's harder to learn to drop those in than it is to shoot like that, but once you are comfortable with the technique, it's a very hard pass to defend against, and makes a lot of chances for your team.

4. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    yes, I love when it looks like it is going wide and it turns into the corner!!! It makes me so happy because I know the goalie has no chance at all. It is weird though you have to align your body like horizontal to the goal almost to shoot it curving into the bottom left corner from the right side of the field. It is so awesome though I love it when it curves into the corner and just nicks the post which always seems to happen. I am so happy now I must learn to do this with my left foot.

5. Middle Of The Shed

Middle Of The Shed New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    Outside spin i've found is a fantastic way of passing when the ball when it's close at your feet and players are surrounding you. I always find that you have to get the outside of your foot right round the ball to get it accurate enough. I practically use the outside spin for everything and find it a very effective way of passing and shooting

6. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    It's good.

7. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    No. I just use my other foot.