Out-of-town advice...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dfb547490, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Hey all, I'm planning on coming down from Philly for the Quakes-DC game on Friday. I may have to work on Saturday and if so I'll be parking at Greenbelt and taking the Metro to the game, otherwise I'll probably be spending the weekend with a friend in Vienna and taking the Metro from there--is this the best way to get to RFK or should I take another route??

Also are opposing colors OK at any pre-game festivities (we can all talk about how much LA sucks)??

2. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Metro is as good as any way to get there. It's the Stadium/Armory stop on the Orange (I think?) line.

3. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Orange & Blue lines take you there. Luckily weekend schedule means the subway runs deep into 3AM (depending on the station). Check what the time the last train arrives. Also - give yourself plenty of time to get to the game. When I mean plenty I mean "Hours."

last three times I came by subway, ended up staying stalled forever on Eastern Market, only to realize I missed the tail-gate, and some of the first half. For Saturday's game I drove. So worth the $10/parking fee.

4. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    At the Eagles' tailgate you're OK. Just introduce yourself to whoever. At the Barra, with some folks you'll be welcomed, and with some you won't.

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro has a nasty habit of implementing some weird maintenance schedule around United games. But those usually crop up on Saturdays and Sundays. You also need to buy a plastic farecard if you want to rescue your car from the parking lot after the game.

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    fixed yer post

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    If it is not too out of your way, it makes a lot more sense to park at New Carrolton and take the orange line into the stadium. The return trip around 10 pm (or later if you wanted to hit the Lounge or Pour house after the game) will set you back 45 minutes, versus 20-25 for New Carrolton.

Tim

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You're ok at SE, not ok at BB. Unless you're bringing that jersey to burn it.

9. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Lonnie, should we try to get a rise of out Conway and his hags again? I'll just duck this time. ;)

K

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Remember to take the person out of the jersey if you wish to burn them in effigy. :D

11. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I believe they have finished the maintenance for now, but since it's a Friday game, that shouldn't be a problem. My wife and I routinely drive to Vienna from Charlottesville and take the Metro from there. It should take 45 min. to 1 hr. to get to RFK (Stadium-Armory stop) from Vienna. You'll get back to Vienna after 11:00, so you might want to park in the Kiss-n-ride section (no plastic farecard required). Just feed the meter enough quarters to get you to 7:00 (I believe that's when parking becomes free---better check on that). I've been doing this for years for midweek games and havn't had a problem.

Oh, btw, enjoy your team's a$$ whooping. :D

asitis
    4/9...5/10

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this, it may affect those with post-game festivities planned:

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I see that human scumbag in our parking lot again, I'm personaly ending his career. Like he has one besides collecting splinters and picking up Onstadt's drycleaning.

Oh, to the out-of-towners - enjoy your drive, safe travels!

14. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    You're probably better off driving if you can. It's a long Metro ride, but a short drive. You can take 295 to the stadium. Since you're going the opposite way as rush hour traffic, you shouldn't hit any traffic. Driving may cut your commute in half.

Also, it's not much more expensive to drive. Parking is $10 at RFK. Metro is going to charge you about $3 each way. (And there may be Metro parking fees.)

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    FYI... :(

Fron the Baltimore Sun...

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's already started. My fleet drivers tell me that truckers are going North on 495 thus increasing traffic across the American Legion Bridge. It's going to be a miserable weekend for driving around here. I suggest EVERYONE who's driving to the game tomorrow to leave a little earlier than normal.

17. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno -- there's some real tasty barbecue glaze that's been developed by barrenos! ;)

GM

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah, that would be the alternative. :p

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Thanks for the info everyone.

With the traffic delays and the fact that I have to work tomorrow I may end up not being able to go...the traffic problems shouldn't affect me coming from the north but you know how that is. If I do go (probably 50-50 at this point) I'll be taking the Metro into town.