Our Way DVD???

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Husker, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so sure about that! By the number of times this comes up, there are probably more than 40 people interested in the disc.

Can you burn DVD-R discs? If I can get a copy, I'd be happy to make several copies for others with DVD-R requirments so the total burden wouldn't be on you.

Perhaps someone could set up a DVD tree or something.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes you can make copies of copies. can i just say im starting to get excited. howlong is the dvd?

3. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    Why waiting on people to burn you a disk, how about ordering the only book on the US from the 2002 World Cup? Check it out here:

http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/view-item?item=3331&32773845-9873aaa

With us through to the hex and it starting up in the not to distant future, it is a good time to relive those memories. It also makes a great gift for your soccer friends.

4. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks. I'm interested. And I'm not going to quibble with you over the cost of the DVD. Hell, charge me $10, and I'll be happy.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just watching this a few nights ago.

And the dvd is burnable. I know. I burned myself a spare copy, just incase anything happens to the original.

And as for the book, I didn't know it was still for sale. I might have to purchase another copy, since my first copy is with one of my soccer friends..I just can't remember who... :D Great book though folks. Gives great first-hand insight into what was going on over there, and it makes your tear-up during certain parts...like the re-telling of the Mexico and Germany matches.

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Today was busy and I didn't get out to Best Buy. Let me say this *I am not trying to make a profit. I will not charge for my time or use of my equipment, only for the postage and blank DVD.* I only said $3-$4 for a DVD because I had no idea how much they are, never bought one before and only assumed it would be that much. If it's much cheaper than that, then better for everyone else.

However, I am starting to get a little frightened about all this copyright crap. I am going to talk to 2 lawyer friends I know (one specializes in this sort of thing) and see what they have to say. After that, I'll probably on do it on a PM basis, and ask that maybe 2 other people become stems for burning to other leaves (to borrow a audio tape sharing terms).

7. TIKY

TIKY New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    San Diego
    I too would love to get a burn of Our Way.

As far as fears of copyright infringement . . . my personal opinion (which amounts to squat) is that if there is a demand and NO supply, then the supplier is basically consenting to you making copies since they don't want your money anyway--as long as you're not making a profit of course ;)

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see nothing wrong with promoting the beautiful game, as long as i'm not the one getting sued :D

No, seriously, it is a good idea to consult with those people who know this type of issue....At the same time, it is so strange that being unable/unwilling to produce more DVDs, they would do anything to prevent people from sharing it at no profit..... After all, one figures that as holidays are getting closer, if they are not making copies, that's it, they just won't anymore....So there in theory would be no problem with simply sharing the goods....Theory and practice do not have to always coincide though....

9. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Maybe everyone that gets a DVD copy could promise to buy a copy of the VHS tape, too (then donate that to your local library)?

10. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.

Thanks for the good words, Chelsey! I just re-read it (for probably the 5th time) and I tear up during the Portugal match. For me, the moment of the Cup was OB's goal. I have spoke with many others who made the trip and most of them agree. It was so stunning and unexpected that we all lost our minds.

It is funny because people who didn't go seem to hold the Mexico victory as the top moment. Don't get me wrong, sending home our hated rivals was fantastic, it is just that for most of us, well, I guess we expected it. O'Brien's goal was the single happiest moment of my life. For that, let's say, 60 seconds, that followed, I am not sure if there is a better high-sheer joy, unbridled enthusiasm.

Anyway, yes, the book is still availible, so don't let me catch any of you making copies of it :D Thanks for buying one and sharing it. I am proud of it and am glad that many US fans have read it (though I do appologize for the many typos--I have no idea how I missed them as I proofed and re-proofed it many times).

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree, when I watch the games on tape, O'Brien's is probably the single best moment...but the book made me cry during th games I mentioned..I don't know. I get teary-eyed during a lot of the accounts of the games..so just disregard everything..

And dude, when I said first copy, I meant the book I purchased from that site. No copies or whatever. That'd just be lame. But I seriously forget who has my copy. >.<

Just to have the account of a US fan over in Korea supplied great reading, regardless of any typos. I was probably too teary-eyed during most posts to even notice them. :D

12. ratfacejt

ratfacejt Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Sep 17, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having burned many many copies of the 2002 wc games, in my experience you don't want to go with the cheap discs -- there are way too many errors. If you go with a name brand disc (I usually use Panasonic LM-RF120LU) you get few errors (around 1 in 20 go bad). The extra $1 spent on the disc goes a long way in avoiding headaches.

I'm going to burn some more of the 2002 WC games (and key qualifiers) over the holidays. PM me if you are interested in a copy. Cost will be low -- around $15 for all 5 games on 5 discs. I'm only going to burn 5 or 6 sets. Copies of the WC games are burned from DVD masters, so quality is very good. If there are any 2002 qualifiers you are specifically looking for, note that in your PM.

13. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC
  14. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ended up selling for about $50.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I'd imagine that proves the demand for this particuliar product. I would love to get a copy of this DVD, but I ain't got more $15 to put on it.

16. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eddieba you have pay pal? if this is all done through PMs, and email no one ever has to know.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maxell (or is it Memorex?) 1-8x +R and -R discs are $19.99 for 50 this week at Best Buy.

18. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC
    That still doesn't change the fact that it blatantly violates federal copyright laws. Here, you now have knowledge that distributing copies of the dvd constitutes copyright infringement. If the holder of the copyright chose to file suite against you, he could recover damages up to $150,000 per infringement. You might also be held in violation of the federal mail fraud statutes.

Just because there are not enough copies of "Our Way" to go around does not give you a license to make copies and distribute them "Your Way." Also, conducting the transaction via PM and paypal will not shield you from liability. Both are records that are easily discoverable.

Now, the likelihood that anyone will file suit against you is likely slim; however, there is still a possibility for a successful suit.

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which is the same thing my lawyer friends told me. Which is why I am not going to take the chance.

I was thinking about giving USSoccer a call and asking them if people donate $15 to a soccer charity (local team, etc) and mail the receipt to USSoccer, if I'd be allowed to copy them after USSoccer forwards me the people who did.

20. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else want to commit a crime? :)

21. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I'd give them away -- seriously. I know of one guy that is an FBI agent that is a referee and is an avid Bigsoccer.com poster. And judging by the way this dude ref's a match it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he bought one from you "undercover" and busted you for piracy. Just fair warning to know who you are selling to.

I have the DVD as well and a DVD burner but I am sorry that I can't offer this service.

Not trying to pour salt on any wounds but it is a great movie....gotta love the My Way rendition on the bus ride home!

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Damages for copyright infringement for a properly pre-registered photo or video start at US$100,000.00 and go up. That's start at.

Now, the question is whether or not US Soccer is banking on the fact that all created works since 1987 are implicitly copyrighted and don't need to have to actually be registered - in which case they could only sue for actual damages - how much they would've made on the copies created - in which case no lawyer would take the case because the damages wouldn't cover the fees. If, however, US Soccer filed a registration within 90 days of first publication, then the higher penalties are enforced.

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which is the same thing my one friend told me. Which is why he recomended trying the whole donate money, get copy thing. It probably won't work but it's worth a shot.

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Isn't giving them away still an infringement though. I have to think it is. You can copy copyrighted material and give it away for free.

25. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have to think US Soccer wouldn't sue one of the few fans it accually has for trying to support thier team. Im not trying to get you to do this, but to say that i seriously doubt that US Soccer would even care. I would ask them, I'll do it for you, what they think of giving a few dozen fans a copy and them paying your for shipping and blank dvd costs(or just sending a blank dvd, no money involved).Or the donating money.
    P.S.- I really want to see this video. :)