Our true problem in defense....

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by starman1994, Oct 21, 2003.

1. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    And it is not Cudicini FYI.

We need a speedster in central defense, Gallas alone is insufficient especially nowadays when he gets crocked too often.

We were terribly exposed with Arse speed and flair. we definitely have to rethink our defense. Johnson is not as quick as we expect him to be, Pires showed us why.

2. givemefootieanyday

givemefootieanyday New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Swindon
    i agree and how unlucky is it to have 3 of our main defenders out at the same time! is winston bogarde a central defender? and is he really totally useless?!? how nice if the roberto carlos rumours are true :)

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not any of my buisness, but Roberto Carlos is the most overated player on the planet, the only left back in the world who plays for a quality team that is worse is Ashley Cole (who gets caught playing the trap, even though he is faster than most attackers he faces).

I agree, it is unfortunate to have 3 defenders down at once... that is how ManU began the season, luckily we have utility players who can fill in, but it was not pretty...
    when are your boys comming back from injury... hopefully it will be before the next big test...

4. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    *LOL*

Terry (strained hamstring) is hoping to recover in time for the Lazio game in midweek. Gallas (ankle injury) might take a week more. Dessa (injured back) is still a question mark.

I must say that we don't need another Ashley Cole in the EPL. Carlos spends more time wandering in opposition territory than in his own half!

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Chivu

I want Chivu. He's a phenomenal LB, and can play CB in a pinch. Roma barely had enough cash for him; we need to offer a bit more.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mexes and boumsong. both are leaving this winter or summer. trabelsi looks like he is going to resign with ajax but who knows. van buyten?

7. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Not worried

I think we have the most talented defensive unit in the league. Most teams with the attacking firepower we have are going to go through stretches where they leak easy goals. We have two new fullbacks to work into the team and Terry and Gallas need a year to cement their partnership for the future. Desailly and Huth would start for most other teams in the EPL and are our #3 and 4 CB's. I'm most worried about Bridge long-term. He needs to show he has positional sense, tackling, and passing ability to make up for his lack of pace. Johnson will be amazing in time and Melchiot and Baba are capable backups for now. Give it time boys, give it time...

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Re: Not worried

My feelings exactly. That's why I want Chivu. I think Huth is going to be great, actually, and its a real asset to have his free-kick taking abilities on the field. (He'll either score goals or give the opposing players concussions with those kicks.)

9. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    You read my mind starman. We do seem to lack pace at the back and unfortunatly all the central defenders we are linked to (Lucio) are more big lumbering slow defenders. Im not saying we should get rid of John Terry or Marcel Desailly, but one more pacy central defender would help team balance. Apart from that, they just need some playing time together.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Re: Not worried

Bit of a gem ain't he?
    I'll bet he makes the National team squad for 2006.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are we seriously saying we need a fast central haf to be competitive. What, like Bobby Moore I suppose.

We haven't got a problem in central defense. Central defenders in the EPL tend to be big fellas who can get up and head the ball clear from corners and such like. Any speed is a bit of a bonus. It's a lot more important to 'read' the game as it develops. The LB and RB need to have speed but I haven't particularly noticed Bridge getting caught out of position. I certainly wouldn't swap him for someone like Ashley Cole.

I don't think we can extrapolate anything from the Arsenal game because Henry is one of the quickest players around. In any event we lost to two dead lucky goals whilst ours was at least intended.

I do hope this isn't going to be a trend. One unlucky loss away from home and everyone starts wailing???

12. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Not that I wanted to sound alarmed but we do need an able back up for Gallas, someone with similar pace.

I didn't start this thread to knock any of our central defenders, more like to address this issue of getting a cover for the easily injured Gallas.

I'm happy with the rest of the lads we have, I still have faith is Melch, Baba and Dessa to do a good job for us.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

I'm certainly not arguing that we want slow ones - I'm simply saying that central defenders, like most things in life, are a compromise.

However, we want the best ones we cn get. On that point I saw Jaap Stam last night and he still looks pretty good.

Having said that he, (a least I think it was him), got turned by our man Mutu for his goal.