Our one and only title *sigh*

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    That was my happiest moment in football....up to now. Nothing can beat. 2nd happiest football moment was when they defeated Germany in this Euro 88 SF. We have the fab four: Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard and Koeman, the cocky but penalty saver Van Breukelen and the hard-working supporting cast and the General to direct from the sideline.

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What's even better was that we won the tournament in Germany :D

4. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Yes. I screamed so loud when Gullit scored in the final, and then Van Basten with that volley. Van Basten's goal near the end of Germany was so sweet because Germany did not have much time left to come back, and the look on those German fans at the stadium. The 3-1 drubbing of England was also great.... Still pissed that we did not win in 90 and 92 with these core players.

5. Neeskens78

Neeskens78 New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Two years later we had the same team and did ******** all at the world cup - 3 draws and a loss ( bloody Germans) and then back home.....incredible disappointment.

I remember '88 very well....we had to beat Eire in our last group game to get through but just could not bloody score until Keift came on and scored with a header that bounced in a way I still can't figure out. Whew.

The only bad thing about '88 is that shocking strip.