Our Lips are Tealed!: Let's unbury the Bunbury conversation and talk Teal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ghost, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Woah, Canada!

http://theshinguardian.com/2011/04/02/tealicious-bracebury-with-a-great-effort/

While so much of the young-forward hype has surrounded Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury has slightly quietly put together a hot start of 3 goals in two games.

The link shows two goals against Vancouver yesterday. I know, I know, I know, two goals against an expansion team does not a world superstar make. However watching them is pretty impressive.

The first goal, a 20-yarder, didn't have great force, but his turn and shot is so quick that it completely fooled both Jay Nolly and the cameraman. And so confident, like it is one motion, and he knows exactly what he is going to do and executes it.

On the second goal, we talk a lot about quickness and speed. But stopping on a dime can be a valuable weapon. He wasn't marked tightly, but he sees the run perfectly, executes it, slams the brakes, takes a little touch, and completely confidently slots it home past the onrushing keeper. Impressive.

If he has a breakout season, with his size and athleticism, he will likely attract overseas interest.

1 person likes this.
  2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too many puns for my liking

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Two goals, two puns. If he had hat-tricked, I would have had to pull out something with "Man of Teal." Or perhaps just "Woah, Canada!"

In fact, I'm adding Woah, Canada to the original post.

4. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has just as bright or brighter future than Agudelo. I'd also personally like to see a forward line of Bunbury-Davies if/when Davies gets back to being called-up.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just seems to be a "natural" goal-scorer. Not a guy who blasts the ball as hard as he can every time he gets near the goal, but places the ball where the keeper is not. When you add that to him being very fast and also having a "quick" shot, he has the potential to be a dangerous dude at a much higher level than MLS.

6. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Won't happen in a billion years, but dammit I like the 4-3-3. Of course you'd be crazy to go three in the midfield and have two be largely attacking players, but who ever I said I wasn't crazy?

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Davies, Bunbury, Agudelo, Dempsey, Bradley/Jones, Donovan, Boca, Ream, Gooch(?), Chandler, Howard[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

7. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

I'm actually with you on this one... Agudelo might have all the spotlight at the moment but I think Teal has the higher ceiling in the long run. He's got more tools physically than Juan and if it comes together for him he could be a stud for club&country.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    in the air

Just wondering about his aerial ability -- I still haven't seen enough of him to know.

How many of his MLS goals so far have come from headers?

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commenting only because I love the headline.

I agree that Bunbury could have just as bright a future as Agudelo, maybe. I would still take Agudelo but it's a close call. Bunbury may be a more impressive physical specimen now, but Agudelo is two years younger and still growing into his body. His goal for NYRB was quite impressive. Let's remember he's closer in age to Salgado than to Bunbury (who may be new to the USMNT but is the same age as Altidore who some here consider a senior citizen)...

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haven't seen enough of Bunbury, but it's nice to have two potential quality young attacking options in the early stage of development. It will be fun to watch them develop over the next few cycles together.

11. Interested Bystander

Mar 26, 2007
    But if you take out Davies, put Donovan in his spot and have both Jones and Bradley in there that would be a very good lineup.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One thing we must give Bob credit for is bringing in these young forwards PRIOR to their breakout seasons in MLS. People might forget this, but Bob called in Charlie Davies BEFORE his breakout season in Sweden as well. And he called up Marcus Tracy from Denmark before he'd done anything. (Unfortunately he's gotten hurt, and hasn't gone anywhere. It happens) It gives these young guys confidence, and that much more desire to improve............

So far this season I've been more impressed by Teal than Agudelo in MLS.

You can define the incompetence of the CSA by the fact that they barely looked at him at the youth levels (one U17 cap, and two U20 caps)................and then had him walk out on their program.

13. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These aren't your dad's puns! These are energy puns! TURBOPUNS!

1 person likes this.
  14. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Shouldn't it be "Woe, Canada"?

1 person likes this.
  15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd leave Gooch out and replace him with someone who doesn't kick the ball as hard as possible over everyone's head and into the feet of the opposition again.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tiger puns! Winning!

17. donovanfan3456

donovanfan3456 New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Ceara, Brazil
    Those goals were class, it's nice to see some forward potential for the USMNT. Bunbury looks like he has talent and composure. Hope he plays in the gold cup.

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And who would that be? :D

19. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Re: in the air

He is poor in the air, just saying.

20. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think i've only seen one headed goal while he has been in MLS (1 year and 3 games) and it was a lucky one. He headed it from about the 18 over an off-his-line goalkeeper.

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It is now.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Well, for a 6'2"-center forward I have to say that's a bit disappointing.

Hopefully that's a part of his game that they're really concentrating on in KC.

23. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ran across this, has all of his goals in a KC uniform (including the two against the Nucks)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kaO6mPhQ8s"]YouTube - Teal Bunbury: Sporting Kansas City | More than a soccer player; a role model[/ame]

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since we are day dreaming, I would put landon at LF, put Chandler at RM and move Lichaj at RB, now you have a very fast team, specially in the right side.:eek:

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't realize he has ocho cinco size and speed. Agudelo is 6 feet tall but 2 years younger.