Our league is becoming to foreign!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by soccerfan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A minimum rule here is harmless and largely symbolic. There is only one team where this rule could realistically apply. Chivas USA is the only squad that could be inhibited by this rule. The rest of the MLS squads are in no danger of being impacted. It is limitations on MAXIMUM # of forgeigners that is the suitable regulation. Having an obsolete rule from a much different league (NASL) demographically is pointless and similar to minimum speed-limits on Interstates of 40 mph.

For what is is worth, foreigners in the MLS are valuable for American player development to a point (diversity of style, experience, culture, technique). Saturation does inhibit prospects from getting playing time, but I think the MLS is far from this point.

2. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

Easy, tough guy!!! Don't get all pissy just because your contradiction was pointed out to you...

3. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    That is a good point. MLS will not allow this doomsday scenario to happen, all owners know that MLS is for the USA. I don't think there would be a whole of interest if all teams fielded foreign players from the American public anyways. Besides, name me one league that does not have foreign players on there teams.

Just out of curiosity, are you just as upset that baseball and the NBA now, are being overrun by foreign talent? Most if not all MLB clubs have foreign(Hispanic) players and most of the best plaeyrs in baseball or not American(Sosa, Guerrero, Arod, etc etc)?

4. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need more talent from Africa and Asia.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Africa, maybe.

But the Asians can be either expensive or not all that eager to enter the US (the Muslim parts).

Besides, the Chinese League looms attractive for many.

6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, they're all Bostonians?

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I would say:

This is worse than the NASL; at least they had a rule that required, at a minimum, 2-3 american players on the field at all times.

That's a judgment call, though.

8. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I wouldn't want to enter the Muslim parts of the US either.

Why exactly would the Chinese league loom attractive for anyone?

9. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    If we are producing quality players in the numbers some here are so utterly convinced that we are why would this even be a consideration?

10. kubrick74

kubrick74 Member

Apr 19, 2004
    In the words of the Guinness commercial guys, "Brilliant".

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    What do you think english fans want.

Rules to be implimented that force teams to play englishmen?

or

Englishmen to improve to such a level that they displace these foreigners and send them packing?

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I gotta tell you eveerytime I see your name I just can't help but give you positive rep for.

It is pure comedic.........................Genius.

13. sprintjeløy1926

sprintjeløy1926 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Madwaukee
    I've herd a lot of talk about seceding to Canada since the election, but nobody told me that New York City and Miami actually went through with it.

Back to the original point. An inundation of foreign players is the last thing anyone who follows MLS should be worrying about. Anything that could possibly make the league more competitive should be welcomed.

14. sprintjeløy1926

sprintjeløy1926 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Madwaukee
    wow, i really didn't want to join this assault on the english language but there, i've gone and done it.

15. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    you done good.

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least until Detroit gets a team.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm more worried about Title IX ruining soccer than I am about foreigners in MLS ruining soccer.

Be aware!

18. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    This is of course all assuming that, you know, the foreigners that do sign with MLS are, you know, kinda like, you know, BETTER than the Americans on the squads.

So, like, a guy say, like Dipsy Selolwane who is so, like, good and totally awsome that he, like, leads African WCQ with 5 goals is just, like, SUCKING THE PLAYING TIME of all the good, young, wholesome American talent.

19. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm disappointed that it took until page 3 for the first Title IX reference.

21. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we have the last draft pick overall being mentioned for contention of Rookie of the Year, any arguement of the league being overrunned by foreigners and not giving the American's a chance holds no water. MLS is about developing young talent (foreign and americans), developing players for the USMNT, and continue the growth of soccer in the US. So far, I think MLS has done a good enough job in each aspect.

Changing the rules from 3 SI to 4 SI's helps allow the growth of young players, foreign or americans. The Revs have two players who just qualified as SI, one that went to college right up the road from Foxboro. With the prior rules, the Revs would have to cut both of these players if they don't feel them worthy enough to stay on the roster compared to the other SI. But with the new rule, the Revs can now keep one (but in this case, they most likely will keep both because of another SI being released). How is this holding American's back?

It's not like MLS is bringin in league max SI's. Most of the time these players are looking for a break to start their career. If you can't handle this, then that's too unfortunate. You should embrace the new players, as they will only make Americans better due to competition of finding a spot on the field. And if these SI's (and TI"s) are bumping players off the rosters, is it really that much of a deal? Do you really think these players are going to make an impact? I don't think Dallas wil bring in a SI forward and sit Johnson. Dempsey looks pretty safe in NE, same with Marshall.

Again, your arguement holds no water.

23. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Well I'm foreign born and I am also more concerned with MLS devoloping American talent. But I have confidence in the US players and if somone is not good enough, then get off the field wherever you are from.
    Don't worry too much about the foreign influence - I'm the only fan of MLS I know where I live, while many Americans don't care.

24. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    Ok just a thought . . .

I do like the inclusion of more out of towners, but this could hurt the national team. While we will raise to level of the American player, at the same time we also help out rest of CONCACAF. This may end up bitting us in the ass, since while we cultivate our young talent, becoming the best league in the reagion will also cultivate the rest of the region. Kind of scarey. ;)

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that remains to be seen with Chivas who has a pipeline of young foreign talent available to them that most teams don't have the opportunity to exploit.

My prediction is that Chivas is either going to be historically bad or historically good.