Our Hsu is missing

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Anthony, Sep 5, 2007.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hillary's Bagman Captured!

SAN FRANCISCO — Disgraced Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu was arrested in Colorado late Thursday after he failed to show up for a court appearance related to a felony theft conviction.

Hsu Fly!

2. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    ....Jesus titty-********ing Christ. I'm insulted that you expect me to believe it, almost as much as I am scared that you might actually believe it.

3. asiancupupdate

asiancupupdate New Member

Jun 25, 2007

What makes this one more egregious is the mainstream media has initiated encouraged and made it now OK to make fun of an Asian last name but not Mr. A-bra-mmmmm-off-looking-for-his-panties' last name.

4. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the jokes though, the real real issue is where exactly all this money came from. Hsu claims to be involved with the fashion industry, but there seems to be no there there, either the addresses/business given are dummies or the people involved claim not to know him.

5. asiancupupdate

asiancupupdate New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Most likely he pulled it out of his stinky Katzenberg.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    But his favorite country song is Johnny Cash's 'A Boy Named Hsu'

7. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Much as Matt hates to admit it, he is a closet partisan (R).

Matt, for your edification, Ken Lay was a major bundler for Bush. During the transition, Lay vetted candidates for cabinet posts on behalf of Bush. At about the same time, he and his company were producing major works of fiction and submitting them to the SEC.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at least in the acse of ay, you knew where the money was coming from. While he turned out to be a crook, at least he was a very visibile business man. In Hsu's case, the guy was pretty much invisibile between his banktruptcy, conviction and flight in 1992 and his turning up as a political contributor in 2003. In between, he was involved in a few businesses, none of which seem to have made any money, and was judged bankrupt in Hong Kong. His Hong Kong bankruptcy was not concluded until 2006.

Furthermore, there is no proof he ever asked for a favor or had any political agenda. So what was he doing and why? Where did the money come from?

The whole thing is further proof that current campaign finance laws are silly. they require politicians to spend most of their time fund raising. Bundling is nothing more than an invitiation to corruption. The whole thing is nothing more than incumbent/establishment protection. The Democratic establishment has been pissed off ever since Eugene McCarthy had his 1968 presidential run financed by a wealthy indivudual, and the GOP establishment is still angry at James Buckley's 1970 Senate race.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And for the record the Enron debacle occurred during Clinton’s watch, Ken Lay was frequent golf partner of Bill Clinton, and Enron execs gave $1.5 million to Democrats from during the Clinton era. To tie Enron to Bush because the facade came crumbling down in 2001 simply belies reality.

10. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Embarrassingly, the jokesters are mispronouncing it. "Shoo," not "Soo."

So, Kenny Boy and Abramoff not a big deal, Hsu is the worst criminal in history. Got it.

11. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6911740,00.html

$850,000? Wow. That's a lot of _________. (<=Fill in your own joke here.)

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    How much did Enron execs give to the Republicans during the same period?

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Open Secrets, Enron connections accounted for $6M in political contributions, 2/3 of it to the GOP.

As I have said before, my problem with the current system is that it requires politicans to spend most of their time raising money, and gives "bundlers" -- usually lobbyists -- too much importance.

I would note that all the political contributions did not, in the end, help Enron (though the contributions were probably more in connection with deregulation than the SEC issues). The same will go with Hsu.

Like a broken record, I believe that campaign finance laws are stupid and were originally designed only to protect incumbants and establishment candidates. I find it incredible that Mike Bloomberg could leagally spend $1 B of his own money running for president if he wanted to, but he cannot give more than $4600 to an individual candidate he supports.

I also believe that part of the problem is that people view government as all that is good and holy and hence political contributions have become yet another business expense.

15. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wrong, dimbulb. I tied Lay to Bush, not Enron to Bush.

16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no link between any political inpropriety and the criminal fashion in which he ran his business. Hence the comparison between him and Hsu is just stupid.

Now if you think I am defending Lay, bear in mind I was the only person in this forum that called for his execution and meant it.

17. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is a little harsh. In any event, you can exume him and kill him again if you wish -- that'll show him!

18. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh, thanks funny!

Can I have my $35,000,000,000 back?

Signed,
    California

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well Einstein, I was just pointing out that you too are a closet partisan. Ken Lay had easy access to the Whitehouse under both the Bush and Clinton administrations.

20. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    OK, you little bed-wetter. Bill and Hillary hang around with people I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, even if I were wearing a full body condom and a hazmat respirator. That includes the allegedly dead Ken Lay. Funny how Bushies return to the fundamentals.

"Really, it's always about the Clintons. It's always about the Clintons." Rush Limbaugh, celebrating 9/11 in 2007.

21. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back to the case at hand, the Hsu-icide watch is over. The Colorado court has set bail at $5M.

Which leads to the question of why anyone would give this guy bail -- he is a demonstrated flight risk I'd say.

The article suggests he paid the bail by cash, which rerasies the question of where this guy's money is coming from.

22. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-donors19oct19,0,4231217.story?coll=la-home-center

"NEW YORK -- Something remarkable happened at 44 Henry St., a grimy Chinatown tenement with peeling walls. It also happened nearby at a dimly lighted apartment building with trash bins clustered by the front door.

And again not too far away, at 88 E. Broadway beneath the Manhattan bridge, where vendors chatter in Mandarin and Fujianese as they hawk rubber sandals and bargain-basement clothes.

All three locations, along with scores of others scattered throughout some of the poorest Chinese neighborhoods in Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, have been swept by an extraordinary impulse to shower money on one particular presidential candidate -- Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton."

"The Times examined the cases of more than 150 donors who provided checks to Clinton after fundraising events geared to the Chinese community. One-third of those donors could not be found using property, telephone or business records. Most have not registered to vote, according to public records.

And several dozen were described in financial reports as holding jobs -- including dishwasher, server or chef -- that would normally make it difficult to donate amounts ranging from $500 to the legal maximum of $2,300 per election."

are these guys part of the Hsu fan club?

24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget it Marek, it's Chinatown.

25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TV9C6O2&show_article=1

"REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) - Disgraced political donor Norman Hsu was sentenced Friday to three years in prison after a judge rejected his bid to throw out a 16-year- old fraud conviction.

Hsu's lawyers had asked Judge Stephen Hall to dismiss his 1992 no- contest plea, arguing that Hsu's right to a speedy trial was violated because authorities were not actively pursuing him during his years as a fugitive. They could easily have arrested Hsu, his lawyers argued, at one of the fundraisers he hosted in California for prominent local politicians.

Hsu also faces federal fraud charges in New York.

His troubles began dogging Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and other big- name Democrats last summer when news reports revealed he was a fugitive who fled the state before he was sentenced for the 1992 fraud conviction. He turned himself in on Aug. 31—then fled again.

He was recaptured in September in Colorado after he tried to kill himself by overdosing on drugs aboard an eastbound Amtrak train. Hsu has since been held without bail in a Redwood City jail."

who will Hillary turn to now in her our of need?