Post-match: OUR HEROES ARE BACK! CCL ROUND OF 16 FIRST LEG CREW @ REAL ESTELI 4/8 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Apr 1, 2021.

?

result

Poll closed Apr 8, 2021.
  1. Win by two or more aka Caleb Porter Master Class

44.9%
  2. Win by 1

32.7%
  3. Draw

16.3%
  4. Lose by 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lose by two or more aka Coach Bot 9000 disaster class

6.1%
  1. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if SpectrumTV has a DVR add-on? Watching the game last night I would have loved to rewind a couple times..

2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been in Columbus for at least a few days already.

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Or just as biased. ;)

TKyle, pericles and Bill Archer repped this.
  4. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you have to rent a cable box for that. DVR is not available through the app.

Dan Milton, hardhead and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the hackery and the officiating, but from what I saw, neither one was anywhere near as bad as some are making them out to be.

Nagbe's card was unfortunate, as the foul wasn't all that severe, but the guy was lining up to take a shot as he was fouled. I can't complain too much. I'm also not too worried about his injury. It looked like he just got whacked in the back of the leg. Probably went numb. That could just be me taking the optimistic side of things, but that's where I am.

I was more worried about Etienne. The way he landed awkwardly on that leg just looked ugly. I was stunned to see him play on.

I also expected a lot more thuggery from Esteli once the score got out of hand. The opposite wound up happening. I think they realized pretty quickly that they would just be wasting energy with nonsense. They're out of their league. Totally outclassed. I mean, Zardes took both of his goals extremely well (as someone more famous than me once put it, "that's why he's here"), but that was some lousy defending on both of them.

The only goal for leg 2 is to avoid cards and injuries. It's good to know the result is in the bag, but it's unnerving to know that literally only bad things can happen.

TRUJDUB, Paul171121 and Minnman repped this.
  6. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    From the Esteli press. The bolded part made me spit coffee on the keyboard.

The first goal came at the 19 minute mark when the defender of the Train (Esteli is called "El Tren del Norte", or the Northern Train), Oscar Acevedo intercepted a pass and forgot to clear it before being mugged by Gyassi Zardes who beat Argentine goalie Alvarao Rezzano. The second marker came at 25' with a corner from Lucas Zelayaran and the captain Jonathan Mensah found the position due to the weak marking from Acevedo. Until that point, the pinolero team looked hopeless, without weapons to get closer in the score. At 35' the game became a rout when Luis Diaz found Zardes in the 6 yard box. Here something incredible happened, the most dangerous man for the Crew was in the kitchen as if he was at the beach with a Cuban mojito in hand taking in the sun, with no one near him. We noticed that the Nicaraguan defense was conscious of the distance recommended by the WHO as they were marking their opponent.

upload_2021-4-9_17-46-17.png

djtrinidad, zman31, catfish9 and 16 others repped this.
  7. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hilarious

8. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But, if you have access to the channel on the spectrum app you can also use the fox sports go app (soon to be bally) using your spectrum credentials. FSGo allows rewinding and replays at a later date.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I have Spectrum here in Middletown. My cable box has a record function!

crew2112 repped this.
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Williams
    Chad McCarty
    ...Eric Denton? Frankie?

614life repped this.
  11. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not a bad start. I recall Julius James being happy to make some hard tackles in the 15 yards on either side of the half line.

12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad McCarty
    Danny O’Rourke
    Frankie Heydude

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will throw in flipping the bird at fans .. at no extra charge!

Kryptonite repped this.
  14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #190 Bill Archer, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Theres a difference between being feisty and being a hard man. Its true that its a bad idea to get into a fight with a crazy man but Im not sure Frankie is the prototype Dave Semenko.

O' Rourke was a hard man back there, although his real toughness was in his refusal to be beaten with the ball. Hed tear your leg off and beat you to death with it before hed let you by him. Fouls and cards and such seemed to mean little to him.

From what we've seen, Wormgoor is the same. Hes a working class grown ass man who supports his wife and four daughters by kicking your ass. Nobody ever accused him of being the second coming of Franco Baresi but he doesnt back down for anybody.

McCarty was supposed to be a tough guy but the act died the day he got a fist to the face and got both a concussion and a busted up face. When he came back he was never the same and was quickly out of the league. He now sels insurance and coaches at a high school.

Matt Komosko is before most of you guys time - I cant believe @Kryptonite left him out - but it seemed clear ro most people that Fitz brought him in specifically to protect McBride, who used to take a fearful beating. He had close to zero soccer ability but made up for it with a willingness to knock you down and kick you in the face. Accidentally.

But if you put my star forward on the injured list, be prepared to see yours there as well.

Honestly though one of the toughest guys the Crew has ever had was Duncan Oughton. Hes not remebered that way because he was so laid back and goofy off the field but he took pretty much zero crap on the field.

Adam Moffat was the same, minus the goofy part. Lay a cheap shot on hjm and spend the rest of the match running for your life.

Honorable mention to Josh Williams. Whenever theres a scuffle on the field hes the first guy there, squaring off with whoever is being an asshole. He taketh no shit and hes got your back. A great teammate.

zman31, Robbo Crewfan, YITBOS and 2 others repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrueCrew repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd not forget to mention Mike Clark here, as well....

KCbus repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I forgot about O'Bookme and with Andy Herron, it makes decisions all that much harder.

Who was the guy who said he'd never play for Nee?

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ante Razov:

"You are an idiot and I will never play for you again"

the_rickler and Kryptonite repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The fact that his nickname was "Stone Cold"...well...you all figure it out:

[​IMG]

Bill Archer repped this.
  21. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Didn't he suffer a pretty bad knee injury but still played out the half/game? Almost ended his career if I remember correctly.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #197 Bill Archer, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    2004, the year the Crew won the Shield.

Second leg of the Playoff series with the Revs, Crew had lost the first game 1-0, Knee was totally blown up, played the entire second half in what can only have been incredible pain. Refused to ask out when another knock or even a misstep might have meant never walking right again.

Crew tied 1-1 and was out anyway, Oughton had surgery and sat out all of 2005. The Bearded Clam got canned, Sigi came in 2006 and Dunc was still sitting out. Finally got back in the middle of the 2006 season.

He didn't play much afterwards, but - not many people recall this - was actually on the 2008 Cup winning team.

Very tough guy.

jairadballerina and Pauncho repped this.
  23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When they did those "game faces" Duncan made a big deal of his because he had a band-aid on his nose after getting knocked there.

Before all that happened, we had to cut one of our international players. Back then, roster rules were a lot more simple. We could only have a certain number of international players, which counted on the same roster...none of these subsets like we have now. Anyway, we ended up cutting Tenywa Bonseu which some fans disagreed with at the time.

IIRC, Duncan got temporarily cut due to roster restrictions, but there was an agreement in there that he wouldn't sign with another team.

He was on the 2008 team, but didn't even make the gameday roster and Sigi only used two subs. You know what they say about hindsight.

Bill Archer repped this.