our fans are piss poor support for our team!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mixmastermatt, Nov 3, 2004.

1. The Singer

The Singer New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Burnt Oak, N. London
    I suggested you rarely went as you don't know your Bank from your Stand. Of course I don't doubt your passion but I suggest you doubt others becuase they fail to sing as loud or often as you! Not true.

2. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Anfield has never really been a true 'bowl' shaped stadium either yets it's traditionally been the most atmospheric of all English grounds down the years. Old Trafford isn't really considered a bedlam of passion, despite it's huge capacity and nice shape. It probably has more to do with the complacency of the home fans expecting to win all the time. There was a short period in the mid 1980s when Anfield suffered from a bit of a lack of noise due to the fans thinking every game was going to be a walkover which they were but they soon got out of that rut.

Of course, all seater stadiums haven't helped with the atmosphere. I don't think any of the English grounds are as atmospheric as they used to be.

3. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I remember when Rioch was manager (and Arsenal were a shadow of the team they are now), people complained about the lack of atmosphere at Highbury. I can't put my finger on why the atmosphere is poor. Maybe it is all seater stadia that is the problem. :)

4. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I remember the League Cup tie between Arsenal and Liverpool in I think it was the 1988/89 season. There were two replays. One at Highbury. There was around 55,000 there and thousands locked outside (Liverpool had about 10 to 15,000 there) and the atmosphere was great. Of course, that was in the days when both ends at Highbury were standing. :)

5. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    trust me, it wasnt origannaly calm and collective - i was extremely offended - considering ive spent £300 on seeing them this season whilst travelling between north london and canterbury - i even went to wales at the beggining of the season to watch the CS game.

lots of swearing and obsenities were contained in it - but the greatman himself - rickbreese - made me see light whilst also changing my post for me to a more tounge in cheek response!

why get angry when you can laugh?

6. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Maybe it's the low height of the stands?

Or maybe not... but it has always annoyed me that the cameras at Arsenal are positioned so damn low. Feels like I'm watching a home video recording.

7. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    I have only just caught up with this thread and only just read up to this message at the mo so forgive me if Im repeating other people's views.

I do agree with your "rich people's flavour of the month" argument, but this issue has been on-going since I started watching Arsenal at Highbury in 1989.

I couldn't believe the lack of celebration in the West Stand last weekend when we all heard that P'mouth were leading manure 2-0 from a fan's radio 2 rows back- Christian and I were the only ones standing up at that moment punching the air with a loud "2-0 TO POMPEY" ............................................................followed by dead silence....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    around us. ???????

Weird

8. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ive sat in the west stand for blackburn, boro, panathinaikos, bolton and its been ********. i sat in the north lower for the psv game and it made the difference

9. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    the backseat drivers sit in the west stand?

10. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    I think we had the handle of "The Library" before they put the seats in? Probably because of the number of years we had nothing worth shouting about; except for most years we still managed to finish above the Scum!

Old Tramshed is definitely quieter than Highbury, although I recollect them making a lot of noise a couple of weeks back; after they scored! I've noticed that Highbury Gooners are not the noisiest of fans, but it's a different kettle of fish on the road! The travelling fans are awesome! You'd think there were 10 or 15,000 of em and they regularly out sing the home fans. Try and get to some of the away games Matt and I think your blood-lust for ritualistist bone chilling battle cries will be well satisfied. LOL!

PS. I like to publically thank Rick for how hard he worked to get me a ticket to the 50/50 game. I didn't much care for the result but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Good onya Mr Breese!!!

11. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Its not that easy though. TO purchase Away tickets you need to have "credits". SO you have to go to a lot of away games to get credits to be able to go to your first away game. Um whooops. Catch 22!

Only way to get a foot on the ladder is to go to games Like Manchester City Away in the League Cup. But how many people are going to spend upwards of £100 not to mention 6-8 hours travelling time to go watch the reserve team play in a minor competition. I would if it would get me to a london derby away, but you need to attend 8+ fixtures like the one above before you can do that... sucks :(

12. The Singer

The Singer New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Burnt Oak, N. London

I get annoyed when people don't sing, but I know at the end of a game I've done my bit to help the team along (hence The Singer). What I get pissed off about is people criticising The Arsenal and their fans, especially when they can't name the parts of the ground correctly.

The quietest parts of the stadium are the three upper tiers. The blocks in the West Stand nearest the Clockend Blocks S and T do not shut up. At times, we're a bit like Val Donigan and sing when we're sitting. Us old boys can't keep standing up and sitting down.

Our repetoire goes much further than shouting Arsenal over and over again. The Vieira song, amongst others, was started in the West Stand back in 1997 against Villa.

I don't know why, at times, Highbury is like a library, but i do know that at away games it's totally different.

Many of us that stood on the Clockend in the 70/80s have season tickets but are split up all over the ground. We wanted the opportunity to sit together when we move to Asburton Grove so we can get an atmosphere going. However, the club have missed a great opportunity. I hope they change their minds.

Sing it load, sing it proud
    We are The Arsenal and we are the best
    We are The Arsenal so f*** all the rest

13. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Well, living in NYC I can't get any credits for anything! When I'm in the country I just turn up wherever we're playing, get there early enough to wait for the away coaches to arrive (about 1 hour before kick-off) and touch wood I've managed to get a ticket on every occasion, except this year at OT, where some serious hard work by Rick secured me a seat. Obviously the further from London the better, but, few fans will travel without a ticket so the chances of picking up a spare are good!

I'm lucky enough to be based in Chester when I'm in the UK, which is under an hour from Anfield, Goodison Park, The Reebok, City of Manc, Ewood Park and Old Tramshed! So I usually time my visits around Arsenal away fixtures!

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I visited Highbury my seat was in the Upper West Stand. Before the game i walked all around the outside of the stadium relishing all the Gooners wearing their colors. When i got to my seats i was shocked, because i was practically the only one wearing Arsenal gear. I thought i was in the away section. I quickly found out that the seat holders in my section were guys that obviously were lifelong season ticket holders. The atmosphere in my section wasn't the greatest, but everyone was obviously following the game intensely. They sang and cheered but were focused more on watching the match. It seemed that the people were there to watch great football being played and not to get drunk and rowdy. Most of the fans i was around were drinking tea and only went for a drink after the match. When you have a great team to watch you can focus on the game and don't have to resort to getting drunk and making an ass of yourself to have a good time. As I watch most of the games sober (actually hung over) early on Saturday morning this suited me fine. The other Stands did seem more lively, as everyone was wearing jerseys and cheering on the team. Next time i go back i think i'll try to get a seat in the Clock End, as this seemed to be the epicenter of the fanatical fans. I'd love to hear the taunts and heckling showered on Highbury's away fans.

15. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Dave, Dave!! Crystal Palace went on general sale!!!, Plus Fulham and even Spurs went to 5 credits......... I know its annoying at first, but once you have a few you'll be fine. Until then if you want away tickets just let me know....I'll help out, give me advance notice though.. Pompey and Southampton will go to general sale and they are easy to get to. Only an hour and a half from London.....

16. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Thank Rick. Much obliged. I'll bear it in mind for the future!

17. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Indeed. I dont drink at games. I find it takes the edge off the football and leaves my memory a little fuzzy. I just nurse my hang over with copious ammounts of coffee and tasteless burgers :)