Our Euro 2012 Draw

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Matteo4Azzurri, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tough group but glad we avoided Group B!

Group C:
    Italy
    Spain
    Rep. of Ireland
    Croatia

Now we wait :cool:

2. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The rest of the lot:

GROUP A
    Poland, Greece, Czech Republic and Russia

GROUP B <--- IMO, the group of death
    Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal and Germany

GROUP D
    France, Sweden, Ukraine and England

3. TFC17

TFC17 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain is a neutral match-up for us, seeing as its our first match, it'll probably be a draw.

Croatia and ROI are very beatable teams, especially if we have Rossi and Cassano back.

4. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Tough group. The champs whom we match up well against and two teams that traditionally give us problems. Group A is a joke. Either way should be an exciting tourny.

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Don't we traditionally have trouble against Croatia?

6. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yes we do. we last played them in a competitive competition in WC 2002 and they beat us 2 - 1. Vieri scored off a header 1st then they started to give us problems especially because if I remember correctly matrix was playing this game in the back and he wasn't as good then for us. they scored 2 quick goals and then Italy had I believe 2 legit goals ruled down and Totti hit the post in the dying minutes off a free kick that would have at least tied that game....ohh the horrors with the officiating in 2002...bad memories....croatia has always played well against us and i wouldn't underestimate them at all. it seems like they love to show up against us.

7. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    also we don't have a winning record against them in qualifiers.

we only played them twice in qualifiers and that was for euro 96...the 1st game we lost 2-1 and the 2nd we drew 1-1

we played them in 3 friendlies as well..in 1942 we won 4 -0...in 1999 we drew 0-0 and then in august 06 we lost 2 -0 but Italia usually always loses august friendlies

so in competitive matches we have 2 losses(wc 2002 and qual Euro 96) and one draw(qualifier euro 96)....it's not many games but everyone against them I have seen and they were never easy

8. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need Antonio and Giuseppe back, defense to shine and Balotelli to have a hell of a tournament.

9. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I honestly don't see the relevance of these results. The vast majority of the players will be different this time around, as will the managers.

They a few good players, we shouldn't underestimate them, but if we play like we did in most of the qualifiers, then we should beat them.

10. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Italy's border rivals always give them a tough game be it Croatia, Slovenia, Switzerland and France of course. Can't remember last time we played the Austrians.

I rememeber that 2002 WC match, that was where everything began to go wrong in that tourny. Matrix came in and was shambolic. He was a hero in 2006 but his 25 mins in that game vs Croatia left us reeling.

However I saw Croatia vs the Greeks and they were terrible, but they showed up vs Turkey, they're not the same team they were in 2008. Well they are somewhat but 4 years older.

Ireland will be tough. Trap's done an excellent job there and they're a very sound team.

Our road to the final could wind up being group - England/France - Germany/Holland - Spain.

11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Tricky group.
    Spain, Trap and the giant-killing Croats.
    There will be no room for any lapses

12. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    To answer some of the questions asked in this thread when we played the croats in 2002 we led 1-0 before then vieri scored a goal that was chalked off then at the end materazzi played a long ball that evaded everyone and inzaghi was deemed to of held the cro defender but he was getting held too. It was rubbish. We played Austria and drew 2-2 cant remember if that friendly was in 2006 we came from 2-0 down. May have been 2008. Last played the cro's in a friendly 2006 our first game after the world cup and only had de sanctis from our squad at the world cup who played in that game.

On our group its a hard one but as some have said croatia isnt the croatia of old and no excuses we should beat them. Modric is dangerous, but who have they really got? We need cassano and rossi as mentioned obviously as long as theyre fit we can beat anybody. Croatia always rise tho dont they vs us.

13. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    we wont win it. 3 very tough group games then eiether france or england you'd think in the qaurter finals then holland or germany to get to the final. Every game for us is going to be hard fought. That being said, Germany or holland who is a potential semi final opponent will have had a tough road also. 3 hard group games and possibly russia in the qtr's, they too will have had their bruises. Gonna be a good cup. Group A and D are rubbish imo I wanted France drawn in a harder group.

14. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    It has to be a team effort, but this time we will need someone to really step up and have a lights out tournament ---- Balotelli, Rossi, Cassano?

15. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    So we meet again. Croatia always plays with alot of inspiration against you guys and Germany. As far as quality Italy has more but with modric we have the best midfielder on the field. Our new boban will have to play great if we are going to beat you guys. Our strikers defense and goalie are average but our midfield is good and modric is a top class player.

16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euros are exciting...even though its a tough group, italy SHOULD make it as the giants of futbol. Every games gonna be tough so there arent easy breaks like the WC. Prandelli and the guys have to come with their A game, no time for screw ups. I believe if the defense stays solid, italy will make it far. This team can hold possession, have technical and experienced players. I just hope rossi and cassano can bounce back, maybe not cassano but rossi would be necessary.

17. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like our chances of advancing in this group, But It will be very diffilcult, I think we match up well against Spain, And Croatia, and Ireland are very winnable, You know Croatia always plays us tough, and Ireland seems to have our number since that Fluke in WC 1994, But this is good for Italy they need to go into this tourney thinking that it will not be easy.

18. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very interesting group and not a good idea to count anybody out, especially Croatia. Hopefully by then we'll have Rossi and Cassano back and maybe Di Natale will still be in great form. I'm really disappointed that Italy has zero matches in Ukraine, i have tickets to the Germany - Portugal match in Lviv can't wait :D

19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    There is no question that we have a difficult group. However, if Italy are where I think they are, we can advance and even go on and win the entire tournament. We qualified with ease and got good results against top opposition in friendlies. While we don't have any Messi, we are solid throughout the pitch. Our team will be able to compete with anyone.

20. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To refresh your memory:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6BGXSDKqk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6BGXSDKqk[/ame]

But, this will be 10 years ago by the time we played them. Both squads are drastically different now.

By the way, the two disallowed goals:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pm4jD5kU4U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pm4jD5kU4U[/ame]

21. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im confident of this italy team if everyone stays healthy. They just gotta stay focused on defense and counters especially. midfield and offense are good.

22. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    has italy beaten the rep. of ireland since trap became coach? i know they drew twice in the 2010 WC qualifying. what about that recent friendly?

23. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last friendly they lost 2-0 which were literally irelands only 2 chances on counters, the rest of the game italy had the ball

the last WC 2010 qualifier, i thought it was 2-1 italy win, but im not sure. anyways these results dont matter, things change, teams get new players and coaches

24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    true enough. that was lippi's italy back then.