Oughton's Green Card

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kaiser kraut, Nov 3, 2003.

1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    S.O.S, this was said before the start of last season, and the season before that.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oughton is crap.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    You know I held out hope, and I held out hope, and held out some more hope, Dunc is certainly a nice guy, adds character to the team, and is the type of guy that plays for his shirt week in and week out, however his improvement over the course of the last couple of seasons has to be termed as dissappointing. Whether that's a product of splitting time with Mais, or whether it's a product of having substandard coaching, who knows. Either way his time with Columbus seems to be nearing a pivital point, he needs to improve or be traded it's that simple, either he improves and takes Mais's spot or it's time to say goodbye.

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has one year left on his contract, so I think he'll be back next year rather than having MLS eat his contract. It would be nice to see him get some points.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    The Crew need to decide right now if Oughton is worth keeping without a green card. If he figures in their plans no matter what, that's great. However, if his roster spot essentially rests with his green card then the Crew need to do something. Bonseu's trade, while allegedly motivated in part by finances, never would have come to pass had the Crew not stuck themselves with four SIs while waiting for Perez and/or Oughton to get a green card. With a potential major re-shuffling in the offseason, the Crew need to establish a plan and not let themselves get jammed again waiting for a green card to hopefully appear.

As for Oughton's ability, I think he'd do fine if he were allowed to focus on one specific role rather than finding time at defensive mid, outside mid, right back and wherever else. However, it's likely that same versatility is why he remains on the roster.

7. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oughton is now a regular on the NZ nats, so he will miss plenty of matches next season.

He is a SI.

He does not have a green card.

He is not an "impact" player.

The only things going for him are that Greg is still coach, and Perez will likely be gone as he can't get his family in the country.

8. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garcia, maybe?

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to draft some young Muslim Arabs. They seem to be able to live here without legal paperwork for years on end.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Have not laughed outloud at a joke on these boards in quite a while. Classic

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Someone in this orginization really likes Dunc. Why else would he be on my answering machine 5 times this season talking about a "big match" and how the Crew needs their fans. The decision to keep him way back had as much to do with him being another face/personality as it did with his soccer skills/green card.

However, like Zak mentioned he plays for the shirt week in and week out....but if he's still not good enough, what's teh point of keeping him?

12. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    The ultimate problem is out of twenty or so players, only five or six of them actually look like they are up for it week in week out. Dunc being one of those six players should probably not be cut until some of the other dead weight is eliminated. His progression may not of been as stunning as it should've been, but I'd definately take someone who puts effort in over someone who's just going through the motions.