Oughton - Testimonial Match in 2010?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Sep 14, 2009.

1. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Did not know where else to put this and thought it deserved its own thread anyways....

Duncan Oughton was drafted by the Crew in 2001 which makes next season his 10th with the Black & Gold.

10 years or 10 seasons, do not know if there is really a difference between the two when it comes to Testimonials or not. But if Duncan is still on the roster next season, what are the chances we would see a Testimonial Match in his honor?

2. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You know what... that's a damn good idea. Suggestions on who would show up to play? I'd suggest John Harkes and Edson Buddle since their first year with us was 2001.

3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone learn me on the intricacies of a testimonial match? I know it's supposed to be an honor to have one, but how does it work? Who all plays? Etc, Etc,.....
    Thanks,

4. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know when it should happen, but he sure deserves the honor. Duncan has been through alot; major injuries, salary cuts, and always fighting for playing time due to the talent we have had at midfield. He has stuck with this team and he is a true leader. Have any other current/past players been with the club longer than Duncan?

5. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Dante and Dunseth come to mind. Presthus could play keeper, since he was part of the trade that brought us Duncan to start with. Hate to say it, but maybe fellow Kiwi Simon Elliot...

6. BeMassiveSoccer

Jul 27, 2007
    Relegation Zone
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No, unless you want to count Robert.

7. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    It's a practice started back in the day when players were not making so much money from their playing career. The money generated from ticket sales went straight to the player it was honoring as a "retirement fund" or cash to help them transition to the next stage of their life after football.

Since it is a friendly match honoring a player, the event could involve current and past players for the honoree's current club or, in cases where someone had lengthy time at two clubs, between two different teams.

8. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure better not be in 2010!
    Kiwi told us Sunday night that he would like to play with The Crew for at least one more year, thus be "sitting the bench" for New Zealand next summer, netting him an awful lot of bonus money!
    Maybe 2011.
    I went to the John Harkes testimonial in DC several years ago, DCU v Tottenham Hotspur. You could tell it was quite emotional for Harkesy.

9. Xisk

Xisk Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Louisville
    I could see upon this upon his retirement. It would be fun to bring back a lot of old faces and celebrate the career of this guy. Maybe even make it a friendly against the New Zealand National Team...

10. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That would be tremendous. I'm there. My only question is what do you get for that special someone on St. Dunc's Day?

11. Xisk

Xisk Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Louisville
    You have to break out those old cardboard cut outs with Dunc's face with a giant band-aide across the bridge of his nose.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did Duncan steal that get up from Posh? :D lol j/k

14. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could get away with wearing anything safari probably.

15. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he still on the NZ national team? If so did he play yesterday?

16. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I want to say that their head coach, like most these days, said that players need to be playing regularly in order to make that team next summer. I'm not sure if St. Dunc will make it, unless Polska Bob finds a role for him next year.

17. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone put out an APB on JOhn DeBrito and Doctor Khumalo!

18. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm sure Khumalo is napping... somewhere.