Ottawa

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by Googs67, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonester

Clonester New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that is the smartest thing O'Brien has ever said as mayor. I never thought Kanata was a great location, but I'd take it there if that's what it takes to get MLS into Ottawa.

Lebreton Flats has the space, is central to the entire city (unlike Kanata), has a lot of room for parking (unlike Bank Street), and is in the heart of the transitway (unlike either location). It doesn't have the restaurants yet, but Preston St. and Somerset aren't far away either. It would also speed up the beautification of the area, something that is sorely needed. It has great access to Quebec, and isn't far away from the Queensway.

2. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    slightly off topic, but welcome to all the new guys I've seen from Ottawa who have joined up in the past month.

Obviously Lebreton is perferable, great site for any stadium especially with LRT going there. Baseball stadium is a big c*cktease of the location, right off the Queensway but no space for parking,etc etc..... but both these locations just aren't in the cards for this though.

3. Vancouver MLS redded

Feb 12, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It just doesn't make sense that the two sides can't agree on one site for one stadium for both sports. It seems frustrating

4. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    x2. I think it's starting to hit home that Ottawa might actually have a shot at this thing, and the local soccer community is starting to take note. It's great to see.

Anyway, Lebreton Flats would be ideal:

- Downtown: check. Plus, just a stroll from Gatineau (Hull) accross the bridge;
    - Mass transit: check. Right on the Transitway, with future light rail (2 lines);
    - Parking: meh. No room for a big lot, but plenty of small lots already scattered around downtown.

In an perfect world, Scotiabank Place would have been built there.

BTW, I think O'Brien was probably referring to the snow dump by Bayview station on the eastern side of the Flats, which would put it Hintonburg. Still very central, in a neigbourood that's on the upswing.

That said, the battle lines have been drawn, and just as it was with the Senators, it looks like it's Kanata or bust.

5. Vancouver MLS redded

Feb 12, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    This Melnyk guy seems like a nice dude!

[​IMG]

6. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have been following this bid from the beginning but only just yesterday have become active on this board with the recent developments of this bid, and I think it is getting others in Ottawa more excited as well.

I totally agree with you that Lebreton is an excellent site for a stadium, but is has potential for many other things as well. There are so many options open when it comes to development of the land at Lebreton. I think that larry O'brien's mentioning of Lebreton flats is just a ploy to delay the MLS bid because the stadium would be so far out.

I really hope that city council sees through the ploys of the CFL bid and realizes the urgency behind the MLS bid and approves the stadium, because this could be very good for Ottawa.

7. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
  8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'll leave the CFL/MLS choice to Ottawans, but isn't there urgency behind the CFL bid also? Don't they have to have a decision by March 1 or their rights expire?

9. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The CFL deadline is March 18, but all deadlines are flexible and the CFL have hinted that it could be pushed back if there were signs of progress.

10. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Btw, with all these new developments and the good amount of fans that they seem to have here, doesn't the Ottawa bid deserve its own sub-forum by now??? Certainly makes more sense than Milwaukee...

12. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If anybody in Ottawa hears about any council discussions on MLS vs. CFL, please post the details here. I have e-mailed Larry O'Brien (Larry.OBrien@ottawa.ca) to ask, but have not had a reply yet. Thanks.

13. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Ottawa Sun is reporting today that the city will define the rules of the fight today "The city manager is expected to release today the process by which the proposals for a new stadium and outdoor concert facility will be evaluated."

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Football/2009/02/13/8374621-sun.html

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005

"by keeping the football/soccer option open for Lansdowne, the Hunt group is taking the high ground against Melnyk's "pick one" stance."

This, along with the much more urban location (transit, etc.) is why I would vote for the Lansdowne option if I was on Ottawa council.

As both an MLS and CFL fan it's actually what I'd like to see. I realize a shared venue would be an imperfect solution but it would be so much better to get both teams than to have to pick one.

15. Vancouver MLS redded

Feb 12, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Is the red spot on the map the Bay Yards location?

also indicate the location of the downtown core (Parliament Bldg) please

16. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I respect your opinion but I have never understood people who say it is easier to get to Landsdowne Park than ScotiaBank Place. I fully understand the appeal of Landsdowne if you live in the Glebe. It must be great to be able to walk to restaurants and bars before and after the game, and to walk to the game itself, but wherever you build a stadum the majority of people will have to travel to the game.

I live in the west-end of Ottawa, so obviously I find Kanata locations easy to get to, but it is also quicker for me to get to somewhere in the far east-end like Place D'Orleans shopping centre than it is to get to Landsdowne, because a few more junctions on the Queensway are always quicker than fighting my way down Bank Street, which is crowded and slow even when there is nothing happening at Landsdowne Park.

17. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    I also live in the west-end (Pinecrest area), well Scotia is easy to get to you'd never hear me say something as silly as it's quicker to get to Place D'Orleans then Landsdowne. I would suggest not trying to fight your way down Bank next time ;)

18. Vancouver MLS redded

Feb 12, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  19. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    OMG did you see the monster they have as "SUNshine girl" today? :eek:

20. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    Careful, she might hear.... and eat you.

21. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
  22. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only thing good about it is she is from Toronto!

23. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would be good to get another rivalry with Toronto going!

24. StartingEleven

StartingEleven New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Calgary
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All posturing and Fast talk from the League, the MLS will go where the Quick Cash is bottom line, forget about the long term benefits or losses, they need a viable and big payoff now, or else Montreal would have been the best of Ottawa or Vancouver.

But the way things are shaping up now, I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver and Ottawa both got them.

www.startingelevenmagazine.com