Other USL News

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Sep 2, 2014.

1. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
  2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fresno FC issued a press release that they will relocate to another city for 2020 because they were not able to come to agreement with the city on a financially viable soccer stadium.

3. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Move here!

4. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    That's just the thing - there really is nowhere in CA for them to move to in the short term that may have a long-term solution for them save for San Diego, which already has a nascent expansion USL-C club.

Okay, maybe Bakersfield? Santa Barbara? Inland Empire? Turlock/Modesto?

Me, I'd love to see the return of the Chico Rooks, but I'm old-skool that way.

Do not be surprised to see this team either go on hiatus for a year or end up east of the Rockies.

And no, I'm not believing that spin about USL not wanting teams to play in baseball stadiums, because if that were the case a significant chunk of the WC would be in deep shit right now.

5. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seemed to have decent community support, and a vocal supporters group, in addition to some damn good players. Wasn't enough to sway the politicos. Sad, really.

My employer had some dealings with Fresno City government a few years ago. I remember the boss' summary...."a 21st century town administered by a 19th century bureaucracy." Not sure exactly what he meant, but i assumed he was less than impressed.

6. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF Division II standards call for 75% of teams to be in metro areas of 750,000+. I'm not going through all of USL and look at populations, but let's say for simplicity that Fresno will move someplace with a population of 700,000 or more. There are precious few markets in the western United States that would be an available and a viable option:

Boise - 730,000 - could happen
    Stockton - 752k - Foul! Encroachment! (Oops, wrong football)
    Little Rock - 741k
    Oxnard - Thousand Oaks - Ventura - 850K
    McAllen TX - 865k - 9 pm kickoffs, anyone?
    Bakersfield - 896k - Road trip? I didn't think so.
    Tucson - 1M - Long live the Wolves! Or was that the failed Phoenix franchise before the failed Tucson franchise?
    Milwaukee - 1.5M - Hmm, pre-game choice of Old Milwaukee or New Glory? Is there any doubt?
    San Jose - Buck Shaw may have some open dates.

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, not all baseball stadiums are created equal with how USL views them. Controlling revenue is a big item, so if the USL team owner also own's the lease on the baseball stadium through owning the baseball team that helps. It also helps if the lease with whoever owns the stadium is reasonable. And then you also have to have ownership commitment to marketing the team well enough to make the economics of a baseball stadium work. The last thing doesn't change with a soccer stadium, but you have more room to sell in stadium ads and create a "main tenant" atmosphere for the fans.

8. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    "San Diego Loyal"?

Shoulda stuck with "Footy McFootyface."

1190683586728361986 is not a valid tweet id

Elninho and Tifoso repped this.
  9. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Worst name in all of soccer. Anywhere. :)

10. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought it would be hard to out-suck "Austin Bold" but they might have actually done it.

Tifoso repped this.
  11. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they are gonna find out is that SD is loyal to Tijiana FC. Hard to believe no one in the boardroom asked the critical question.."WTF is that?" LoL

Tifoso repped this.
  12. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
  13. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
  14. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Happens a lot to Serie C sides in Italia, too

15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really too bad. Interesting that ownership has not stated why CONCACAF and USSF denied sanctioning. Was a reason given to Fury other than, "go play in the Canadian Premier League?" Does anyone know?

16. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Ottawa's season in USL-C in 2019 was on a one-year waiver. Pretty good explanation of the background can be found here. Long and short is, Fury had to apply for a waiver from the Canadian Soccer Association, USSSF, CONCACAF, and ultimately FIFA to play in a cross-border league.

Fury was initially going to be denied the 2019 waiver by CONCACAF, but they (Fury) threatened to take the confederation to the Court for Arbitration and Sport, and no FIFA-level body wants to be exposed to that sort of action. So, since the Canadian Premier League hadn't yet gotten up to spin, Fury was allowed the 2019 season.

However, for the 2020 season, they would not get the waivers in time, so they'll suspend ops for 2020, to presumably either play in the CPL in 2021, or move the team into the US and play in 2021...or possibly even 2020 if a suitable spot opens up, like in Rochester.

mangerson repped this.
  17. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how the Ottawa and Fresno situations impact the original plan for Championship membership for 2020. Timbers 2 and Galaxy II were scheduled to move down to USL League 1 in 2020 (plus Roma AS will enter a club based in Riverside to League 1 and NE Revs add an L1 reserve team in the East).

Anyway, if T2 and Gal II still drop down, and with SD stepping in for Fresno, the Western Conf drops to 17 clubs.

Nashville's exit would have dropped the East to 17. Now Ottawa is toast so the number drops to 16. Perhaps there will be a change in the number of 2's that drop down in the West.

Have I missed anyone?

Either way, we're looking at a smaller regular-season schedule or adding a third game against rivals to get the number of games back up to 34. Perhaps we will get an extra friendly in the season ticket package.

BTW, the reported Chicago franchise for 2020 seems to have withered on the vine.

East Bay enters in 2021.

Des Moines Menace are looking to build a SSS and move up in 2022.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019/11/des-moines-usl-stadium-pitched-as-anchor-of-development/

On a side note, New Mexico is exploring the possibility of a $100M SSS to be built within the next five years. They averaged 12,000 fans per game.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019/11/committee-to-discuss-possible-new-mexico-united-stadium/

Tifoso repped this.
  18. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wait. WHAT?

Where the heck is Juve?

19. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere behind Inter last I checked..............;-)

20. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hehehehe:D
    Temporarily ;)

fortunesfool223 repped this.
  21. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC

mangerson repped this.
  22. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the “soccer has made me smarter” category....i was researching where they will be playing home games - a new stadium at York College, a senior school in Jamaica, Queens.

Never heard of a senior school before, but its a college for students who have completed their first two years at a community (i.e. Jr) college. They only offer upper division courses.

I’d give you a “like” SS, but that was a 20 minute internet rabbit hole, lol.

SierraSpartan and Tifoso repped this.
  23. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if anyone watched the USL Championship Final last night, but that was a good game. First 20 minutes looked like nothing could stop Louisville FC....and then Real Monarchs struck back. The game was pretty much end to end that first half.

IMHO it would have been better optics if Louisville had won in front of the standing room only home crowd, but I thought the quality of the game represented the USL well to a national audience (ESPN2).

Tifoso repped this.
  24. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yessir. I am just thrilled that these type of matches are even available on TV now. Unthinkable not so long ago.
    1. Now they need to add Serie A (although ESPN+ is fantastic quality)
    and
    2. Add Serie B and C. At least 1 match from each weekly (ESPN+ are you listening? ;-) )

25. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I couldn't find any TV coverage for the 78 or 82 World Cups, and for the 86 Cup I had to tune in to a very weak Spanish language channel to watch any games. There was a charm to OTA analog TV back in the day, but I don't miss the ONE baseball game a week that was televised, nor the only college football being the Sunday morning condensed Norte Dame football game.

Now I get to watch US second division soccer live from my hotel room in Paris.....times have changed...for the better, LOL.

Tifoso repped this.