Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. MLS Cup was developed to be the top trophy in the league and that is equivalent to the EPL Championship.

The Supporters Shield Foundation was registered as a 501c3 to fund and protect the Shield. The foundation is responsible for the property and restricts commercial use of the award. It was created in 1998 by the Indapendent Supporters Council. It earns you a brith to the CCL recognizing the top performing team in the regular season.

Its the same level of trophy as the Presidents Trophy in the NHL, NWSL Shield, Maurice Podoloff in the NBA and the CPL Sheild.

You just cut the dead weight out and give the final remaining teams a shot at the prize. It's not classified by FIFA or USSF as a 'tournament'.

A tournament is The Open Cup and Leagues Cup. Sanctioned as Secondary championships to the MLS Cup which is the leagues top prize.

The very large majority can name all MLS Cup Champions.

A very small under 5% could name all SS winners by year.

The Dynamo, Real Salt Lake, Atlanta United and New York City FC never won a SS, but are MLS Champions.

bostero24 repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Independent Supporters Council didn’t exist in 1998.

3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://supportersshield.org/

Oh I re-read.

"The creation of the new award is done by the ISC for the benefit of all supporters. The Shield was created as a gift to both the league and its supporters in 1998. We continue that vision by presenting this updated trophy to the league and all of its supporters. Additionally the new Shield will be traveling around the league this season giving everyone a chance to see and interact with the trophy and those responsible for its creation."

Still the SS was recognized and created in 1998, and awarding the first to DC United in 1999.

It wasn't until 2006 though when it had prizes to be won.

But regardless, no one 'competes' for the SS until the end of the season when the final 3 teams are jockeying for it if it hasn't been a clear run away.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because with the Supporters Shield you are not playing every other team home and away, like they do in the EPL, or most every other league in the world.

Kaitlyn, bostero24 and bsman repped this.
  5. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So it is equivalent to "some" Leagues, just not the one I mentioned?

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there may be a league somewhere that has an unbalanced schedule like MLS, I just threw it out there not knowing for sure. None of the top leagues in the world, or any league I can think of has one.

bostero24 and bsman repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #17932 JazzyJ, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    Yeah SS is a not perfect because of the unbalanced schedule but it’s still the best measure we have of best team overall performance for the season. In my mind it’s close enough. Balanced schedule, balanced schmedule. It’s not like one conference is way better or worse than the other. We could have silverware for the winner of each conference but SS is close enough.

When LAG beat us in the playoffs in 2012, Bruce, in a rare charitable mood, said we were the real champions of the conference based on our performance over the season. And he was not wrong.

8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Supporter’s Shield is a joke and means nothing in my opinion.

All it does it make everyone think they have some type of medal but no one really cares or plays for it.

The Quakes won it in 2012, lost in the playoffs to the Gals and ended up second to last in the league only 2 years later.

Anywhere else on earth they will have bene relegated so what is the big deal?

There is absolutely no monetary gain by winning it nor is there much incentive other than making the CCL which is basically another joke.

What I would like to know if when is MLS going to reward teams for finishing in the upper part of the table and punish teams for being on the bottom part?

As it is, most bottom feeder teams are rewarded (with draft picks or whatever) and they are not punished so I don’t get the point of this whole Euro like table and/or SS.

The bottom line is , it is all about the playoffs and winning the final.

SUPER BOWL

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

WORLD SERIES

WORLD CHAMPIONS

Does anyone care or remember when the Patriots went undefeated in the regular season but lost the Super Bowl?

It’s a Nort American sports league and we all live and die for the playoffs:

Beerking, Kaitlyn and bostero24 repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The playoffs are a nice little tournament at the end of the season and it’s fun but it’s not the only thing I care about or consider in evaluating a team’s season. And I don’t have to be like everybody else. :)

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #17936 falvo, Jun 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    Yeah, but it's not about you.

All most everyone cares about is winning it all.

That's American sports and it has been that way for as long as I remember.

I doubt anything or anyone will ever change that.

Again, we live for the playoffs, being champions and that isn’t coming from me but from the majority of sports fans and that is the relaity.

Beerking and Kaitlyn repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    74A3E7B6-11EA-4982-84B6-DE0992F62755.jpeg
    Original Supporters Shield, circa 2013.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #17938 falvo, Jun 18, 2024
    I certainly was not thinking about that trophy in 2014 when the Quakes lost to a team that folded only weeks later.

Sadly, it's been 12 years since the Quakes won that trophy.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #17939 JazzyJ, Jun 18, 2024
    For me, and for me only, it *is* about me. :) “Winning it all” can mean different things, and different things to different people. SS + MLS Cup would be a pretty good “winning it all”. And again for me SS is more “winning it all” than winning the Phillip F. Anschutz Trophy for a short end of season tournament.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    One thing to note is that MLS has no real interest in SS, something that was initated by the fans, because there's no money in it for them, and the league is all about the money. And they're going to manipulate us as much as possible to believe that MLS Cup is really the only thing that matters. I think they've come around a little bit but mainly because USSF ordained that Supporter's Shield winner gets into CONCACAF.

And now we see the same thing playing out with USOC. The league doesn't care because...$, and are trying to wriggle out of it completely. They want us to only care about League's Cup because Apple TV and Messi and $. The things is, we don't have to be slaves to the league. We can make our own choices.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You go to games, discuss on a forum, reddit it up, argue with people, watch apple tv, i think your beyond 'slave to the league'.

Also every tournament starts somewhere. Leagues Cup in 20 years may be very crucial.

Leagues cup wssnt created for Messi so throw that ignorant statement out.

MLS Cup Playoffs isnt a tournament. FIFA and USSF dont snaction it as one.

Boysinblue repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Again, I get to choose what's most important to me, even if I'm "wrong" in someone else's eyes. Sorry.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

bsman, Kaitlyn and JazzyJ repped this.
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 years ago today MLS was founded as a bargining chip to bring the 1994 World Cup to America.

17 of the guys on the roster would play in MLS season 1 wolith 3 more (Reyna, Stewart and Sommer) joining later. Frank Clavijo (RIP) would end up coaching and only Hugo Perez never showed up.

John Doyle, Martin Vasquez and Dominic Kinenar future Quakes were named alternates.

Doyle shpuld have made the team but Bora was apparrently an asshole from research I found.

Boysinblue repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #17945 falvo, Jun 18, 2024
    I don't know if he liked him personally but Bora liked Doyle as a player and then he went to Europe instead and didn't do that much.

He was never considered for selection after that.

I think Steve Sampson wanted to bring him in but John refused because he wanted to stay in shape for the upcoming Clash game.

In those earlier years of the league, I think John Doyle was the best centerback there was.

Honestly, I don't think MLS cares all that much about the Concacaf CL either and that is why they are trying to promote the Leagues Cup thing.

This is their second go around of it as I recall when Beckham signed, it was the Interliga and then they discontinued after the 2010 season.

I think the Leagues cup could develop into something big but not sure how fair it is for the Mexican teams to play all their games on the road regardless of how many Mexican fans show up at the stadium.

21. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    I understand what you're saying but Falvo said it perfectly in an earlier post. In the States it's all about the playoffs and ultimately reaching the finals to win it all.
    If we accept NFL, NBA , MLB, NHL, and I'm not aware of any of those leagues having a trophy for having the best record through out the season (maybe I'm wrong) then why should MLS being an American league be any different?
    I don't think it has anything to do with MLS not making any money therefore they don't care. It's just that it's not done in any other american leagues?

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cartoon depicting a federal government official associated with the Stanford Internet Observatory?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS is different because the fans are more engaged.

Also, the NHL has the President’s Trophy for the regular season champ.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, that and there is no real money in the SS.

Just like no one wins much for having the best record during the NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA other than home field advantage in the playoffs.

I recall during the strike season in 1987, the SF Niners went 13 & 2 that year but no one cared about that but they do remember how they lost to the Minnesota Vikings in the first round of the playoffs at Candlestick.

I even saw running back Roger Craig getting drunk at a club in Cupertino after that game though but that is all I remember about that game.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anthony Carter is what I remember.