Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not about attendance, it's not about money. It's about raising the profile of the KSA, and from that perspective it's worked - it gets positive news about a repressive, theocratic, medieval society widely reported in the world.

DotMPP repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is cool - I think Concacaf needs to do this! I want to attend an away US game in Nuuk! Let's Nuuk the Greenlanders!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5525325/2024/05/28/greenland-concacaf-membership/

Greenland football association applies for CONCACAF membership
    By Alexander Abnos and Felipe Cardenas
    May 28, 2024
    Greenland has submitted an application to CONCACAF for membership in the confederation, which governs international soccer in North America, Central America and the Caribbean, according to social media posts by the Football Association of Greenland and the men’s national team manager Morten Rukjaer.

CONCACAF declined to comment on the posts or the status of Greenland’s application.

“With this application, Greenland is taking a historic step on the international football scene,” Rukjaer wrote on Instagram.

The application would be a milestone in a multi-year quest to level up international football in the country, as reported in 2022 in Greenlandic newspaper Sermitsiaq. Greenland has a population of just over 56,000.

Though Greenland is geographically part of North America, politically it is an autonomous territory of Denmark. Its path to joining Europe’s confederation, UEFA, has been blocked due in part to a UEFA statute stipulating that membership may only be offered to football associations “based in a country which is recognised as an independent state by the majority of members of the United Nations.”

Tønnes Berthelsen, the chairman of the application committee for the country’s football association, told Sermitsiaq that Denmark also did not support Greenland’s efforts to join UEFA.

The Faroe Islands, also a Danish overseas territory, was officially recognized by FIFA in 1988 and joined UEFA in 1990. FIFA does not recognize Greenland’s national football team, which primarily plays games against other Nordic states and smaller territories.

If Greenland were to join CONCACAF, it would become the seventh member of the confederation not to be recognized by FIFA. The other six are all overseas territories of European nations – primarily France (Martinique, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, and Saint Martin) along with the Netherlands (Sint Maarten and Bonaire).

Should Greenland play at home in its capital city of Nuuk, Toronto would be the closest home venue of a CONCACAF nation at just over 1,700 miles (2,800 km) away, with most Central American and Caribbean countries lying at least 3,400 miles (5,400 km) away.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's all about the "sportswashing" to improve their image, I just think it is funny that the Saudis themselves don't seem to be much captivated by all these big stars coming to play there.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe they could draw a crowd if they imported the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders? :)

DotMPP and Boysinblue repped this.
  5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sergio Busquets is the best passer since Carlos Valderrama in Major League Soccer.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder Messi is in MLS like right now, in fact he scored a goal a few minutes ago

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Messi 1 Atlanta 3 at the moment. Helluva playoff hockey game right now in Edmonton, by the way.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    how’s Pavelski done in this series?

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He’s on the ice periodically.

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Go ATL!

11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I’d usually cheer for the Canadian team in this one and I’ve disliked Dallas since Modano days, but I’m a Pavelski fan and would be happy for him if he lifted the cup.

bsman repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are at least three former Sabres on the Florida Panthers but I cannot bring myself to root for a South Florida squad. :)

#squishthefish

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi is the greatest player in MLS history lol. He has his own category.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do you want me to show an hour of Josh Allen youtube highlights? :)

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    The 'Other Teams' Results' thread doesn't specify a sport so go for it. Can't promise I'll watch it though.

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Ricky Puig's new platinum blond rig is embarrassing. Looks like Lady Gaga or something...

upload_2024-5-29_23-39-42.png

[​IMG]

vamanoshasta and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #17669 JazzyJ, May 30, 2024
    Last edited: May 30, 2024
    Also, super team Miami (with all their stars playing) was not so super against Atlanta last night. Somehow Atlanta was winless in their last 9 games but looked really good. They played a 3-5-2 and sliced thru Miami’s midfield like butter and had 26 shots. I think Miami can be vulnerable to that type of overloaded midfield because Busquets is not very mobile and Messi doesn’t play much defense. That leaves a lot of pressure on the other mids. Redondo tried to slow things down but did a lot of hacking. And then Miami’s CB’s are not necessarily great.

Still Messi scored. I saw a stat on Facebook - not sure if accurate but the claim is that this was the first time Messi scored but his team lost since 2022 WC against Saudi Arabia. Goes to show I think that Messi plays on dominant teams. If he played on the Quakes he’d have plenty of losses when he scored :).

Also one thing I appreciate about Messi is that he generally doesn’t dive in the box. He stays on his feet when it seems there are times he could take a tumble and win a PK.

bostero24 repped this.
  19. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Pineda was most probably getting fired yesterday if AU lost. He changed formation as you mentioned to get the best out of his players, for example Almada playing on the left and cutting in which is what he likes as opposed to playing centrally. The spanish announcers that called the game kept saying how much better they looked and that Pineda should stick to the same tactics from now on, considering that not only did they break their losing streak but actually dominated at times.
    Meanwhile... Luchi will go down with the ship with his game plan regardless of results. We're stuck with a coach that has very limited ideas and at this point is probably scared to even try anything different. If our players don't get it done on their own at this point, Luchi doesn't seem to know what else to do but keep rolling out the same players & tactics regardless of results (which have been abysmal this season).
    Luchi also comes across as a horrible motivator. When the chips are down which have happened quite often this season we continue to come out flat time & time again.

Boysinblue and Kaitlyn repped this.
  20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whys it embarrass you? I thought you dont like when others insult people? If hes haply and likes it who cares what he looks like? What do you look like?

xbhaskarx, bostero24 and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah hard to believe Atlanta was winless in 9 before last night. I’m sure the change in formation had something to do with it. Also not sure how many players they’ve been missing. The Greek forward guy who scores a ton has been out for one, and barely played last night.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Who said that it’s insulting to look like Lady Gaga? :)

I’m not keen on personal insults against others on the forum unless it’s just a little ribbing. Players, especially on rival teams, fair game!

Kaitlyn repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It would be insulting if you said he looked like Landon Donovan. :)

A95B8F26-39E5-44FD-8014-1F5B87CBED3E.jpeg

Kaitlyn repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It did remind me of LD’s short-lived platinum look.