Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just rewatched the highlights. JT did hold them scoreless for his half, and then Bersano did the same in his half. It was an enjoyable friendly to watch.

don gagliardi repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And in Moraga . . . :)

Beerking and JazzyJ repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Doubly embarrassing for the Red Devils. :)

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    don gagliardi repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Quakes also played our “partners”, Tottenham, to a 0-0 tie at Buck Shaw IIRC. My main memories from that game were the little Tottenham “gift bag” we all got, it was about 105 degrees, and the wankers behind me urging on “Keano” when he came on, certain that he’d score against a crap MLS team (he didn’t).

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching a replay of Saturday’s Women’s Champions League Final between Barca and Lyon. The level of skill and speed is impressive, I’m pretty sure both of these teams could beat the Quakes.

Relative to Bay FC and what we’ve seen of the NWSL, it is pretty obvious why USWNT is not going to win a WC or Olympics for a long time.

Free on the YouTube DAZN channel but has a lot of commercials every 10-15 minutes

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My response was to bsman's post about his son being "so happy", but, I did prove my point that you are too easily triggered. But, you are right, it was a good cup victory over a team that was heavily favored, so kudos to MU for playing a smart, good game.:)

Quakes05 repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that funny? I am not offended at all by it, since it makes no sense. By using an offensive slang term for the female genitalia, isn't it more of an indictment on how he views women? I have much greater respect for the opposite sex.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    to be clear, "twat" is also British slang for an obnoxious person, which was how I meant it. I found your comment obnoxious.

I can't imagine why you'd respond to bsman's post in such a way, and I don't think you proved any points, but it was a great victory, and that's what's important here.

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am the conductor of all bandwagons. I only :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Because he insulted you with such a lame word, but gets mad wheb others insult him.

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay.......wanker.:p

12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming that's Robbie Keane... he did eventually. Lots of times :(

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Only once against us at Buck Shaw that I recall, and only because Muma went out injured. Maybe there were more. But the Gals did get better when he joined. He was more impactful than Becks.

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first appearance as a LAG he scored on us. And he scored on us at Stanford.

This is my faulty memory at work, but I remember him being the most damaging opposing player against us (like Wondo was for so many teams).

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah I was thinking of just Buck Shaw.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Robbie Keane was signed same day Quakes signed Edmundo Zura. Met with Kaval that day (on unrelated topic) and he was smug about it.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    As a forward of a rival team with teammates like Beckham and LD I would hope he scored against us, for LA’s sake. The year he scored against us in the playoffs he scored only one other goal against us, in 5 games in which we were 3-1-1 against LAG.

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

Twice in the first half in that one, and our last great season was over.

DotMPP and bsman repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, but 0 while Muma was on the field. And 0 in the previous playoff game in LA, in which Muma scored but Keane (as well as his teammates) did not.

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Years ago when Keane was with Liverpool he filmed a commercial with a dog belonging to a friend of mine. A real treat for my friend since he supports Liverpool. He commented on how skillful Keane was, and could kick the ball and hit an exact spot over and over as they were doing takes.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Losing Muma was tough, Keane picked us apart after that.

I was standing right in the corner when he scored his second. Brutal end to what had been an incredible season.

Couldn't have imagined what was in store for Quakes fans after that. And here we are, still meandering along at the bottom of the table, 12 seasons later. :thumbsdown::mad::(

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, it's been a dirty dozen since then. Not one season really stands out as particularly enjoyable to me. In retrospect, 2012 was more unique than exemplary while we were experiencing it. We weren't that good - it's just that we truly did never say die - we drew and won so many games in the final seconds. 2005 still sticks in my mind as the very best regular season the Quakes have ever had.

Boysinblue, SoccerMan94043 and Quakes05 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #17648 JazzyJ, May 28, 2024
    Last edited: May 28, 2024
    It wasn’t great and OK, low bar, but 2017 had some good moments, especially after CL took the reins. If you ignored the bad road losses, we were 7-1-1 at home all competitions and were USOC semi finalists. Plus we had that goonie goal to qualify for the playoffs which was fun even if ultimately futile. Under CL we also played a more open attacking game, which was entertaining even if it sometimes failed spectacularly on the road.

Still pissed that we didn’t let CL continue as coach in 2018 with a few new players to help us play his preferred 3-5-2. Maybe we’d have done worse, maybe we’d have done better than 2017. But at least we could find out, from a position of hits and misses that was good enough to reach the playoffs. Instead we got the dire Mikael Stahre, and the rest is dismal history. I think Jesse imagined that he was smarter than he was - a little bit of hubris. No more bad road losses! I’m gonna fix it it with the “bearing walls” guy!

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I agree. 2001 & 2003, excellent seasons, but 2005 felt like we had reached a whole new level of quality. That team, of course (and much to our great dismay), would win MLS cup the next two years, they really were the best in the league.

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boysinblue repped this.