Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not always, but it is when it's constant and predictable...

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #16952 JazzyJ, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    And there it is. If they'd won he'd be congratulating his team (and mostly himself) for being prepared and able to play in difficult conditions.

DotMPP repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    To be fair Cherundolo is right - they should have postponed the game. It was pretty ridiculous. If I was on the back line, I'd start building snowmen around the goal. Who's to say it's not legal? But OTOH seems to me that both teams had to play in the bad weather, so there is that.

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The center ref in the Vancouver/Charlotte game is quality. He's one of the better American refs I've seen, especially for a rent-a-ref.

The Guy in the Miami game was also very good today.

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I mean, we're complaining about rain, but we could be in Sandy! So much for LAFC's incredible keeper.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't get the scheduling.

LAFC plays Real Salt Lake again in LA on July 17th in the middle of a hot summer but why couldn't they have scheduled this first game in LA and the return match in SL?

I mean couldn't they foresee that it would possibly snow, rain or even be cold in Utah in March?

They both own their stadiums so where is the conflict?

DotMPP repped this.
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As it happens, my father-in-law's memorial service was in Salt Lake in mid-July last summer. It was 100 degrees, and had been 100 degrees for weeks, though sometimes it got into the 90s. Not great weather for soccer either. April/May/September/October are really the only months that you're unlikely to face extremes.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But doesn’t it cool down at night, playing the game at 6-7 PM?

Either way, we know playing in 100 degree heat sucks but it’s still better than playing in the snow.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Still pretty hot then. When the sun goes down, maybe 80 degrees. We sat outdoors at night and it was pleasant, but I wouldn't have wanted to play soccer in it, not even considering the additional challenges of the altitude.

I hate the cold, but if you're running around playing, at least you won't overheat. Players might prefer it, except for the famous French keeper, who apparently froze in position.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #16961 falvo, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024

[​IMG]

I’m betting Hugo Lloris , while he was standing in goal, must have been thinking, ‘I want to go back to France’!

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    As I was saying, he could just be back there building snowmen around the goal while the ball is in the other half. Then just take a break and have a smoke. No one will score on his snowmen defenders. Where's the rule against it in the LOTG!

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Reminds me of this story.....

Goalkeeper Sam Bartram 'Lost in the Fog'!! –

[​IMG]

In 1937, a football league match was played between Charlton Athletic and Chelsea at the Stamford Bridge stadium in London, England. The match was stopped in the 60th minute due to thick fog. Charlton Athletic goalkeeper Sam Bartram remained in front of the goal 15 minutes into the game as he did not hear the referee’s whistle because of the crowd behind his goal.

DotMPP repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Cherundolo implying that a real ref would have terminated the game?

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He’d be all about “counting”’ the game if they’d won. “Well it was unusual for sure but it affected both teams equally.”

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People were smaller back in the olden days.....

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I’ve seen the highlights for this game, I agree with Cherundolo that the game should have been abandoned. You can’t see the lines, and towards the end, you can’t see the players. The ball doesn’t even roll. It was a fierce snowstorm the entire game.

But regardless, both teams had 6 shots on goal. The Quakes only had 3 SOGs tonight.

DotMPP, SoccerMan94043 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  18. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    :ROFLMAO:

19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was one pass from Busquets that left my jaw dropped open for at least 30 seconds I think. He had the typical outlets to his left (2 very obvious options and typical control type of plays), but he decided to place the ball on a dime to a player I didn't even see open just breaking the defensive line. Not only the placement and spead of the the pass was perfection, what he had to do to contort his body (which was moving to the easy open options to his left) was incredible.

We haven't seen a pass like that in MLS in ages (the most recent I can remember watching would have been from Valderrama in the 90s).

mjlee22 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all of Messi's goals in his career, head and chest have to be less than 1%.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    and yet that's how he scored both his goals yesterday, always amazing, Messi.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on ref... we need to build a wall.

DotMPP and JazzyJ repped this.
  23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed correct.

I think Busquets is the best passer in this league since Valderrama. He sees the game different. When he has the ball its beauty.

Beyond Miami and all things smoke and mirrors, I'm grateful to see these legends in this league. They are playing for real, not a vacation. Jordi Alba is the most involved player in the league. Suarez looked 23 last night. Nasty stuff ahead for opponets if they have found rythem.

Beerking and DotMPP repped this.
  24. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Snow game last night was a broken ankle waiting to happen. They couldnt see the lines, the ball went out a few times but couldnt tell, Aaron Long almost had his career ended when his feet got moving to fast and planted into the snow and he fell with his head missing the post by an inch and the ball not moving anywhere slowed the game down.

Fully acceptable to expect RSL to win in those conditions vs a team from Los Angeles.

mjlee22 repped this.
  25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States