Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why not?

Goodsport repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16352 Goodsport, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Because there’s still a chance that Houston Dynamo FC could make it to the MLS Cup final (unlike the Galaxy this year, thankfully). :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

falvo repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Quakes05 repped this.
  4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It was a clear handball, the officials' checks must have cleared. :thumbsdown:

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    At least seattle's out of the playoffs and to have them lose at home is just icing on the cake. :D

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, just sad to see LAFC going to Luchi-level bunkering after they scored the goal in the 30th minute. And watching a Seattle home game with those uniforms on that fake turf with the barely washed out gridiron lines is not very visually appealing.

Boysinblue and Beerking repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    The turf looked particularly awful last night. It's such an unnatural fake green color and then also very patchy looking. Starting to hear more rumblings from NFL players about doing away with turf, so maybe there's some hope.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I didn’t see a good replay that shows it - was the hand in a natural position hanging at the side of his body or was it in a position to “make his body unnaturally bigger”. To me it looked like it could be the former but again I didn’t see a definitive replay.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not that I really care about Houston , LAFC or anyone else for that matter, but if the Quakes could win an MLS Cup by playing boring ,bunkering Luchi ball, I’d be ecstatic.

Viva il catenaccio!

don gagliardi and Goodsport repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We couldn't even make 8th place playing boring, bunkering Luchi ball.

mjlee22, Kaitlyn and bostero24 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course.

That is because the Quakes are crap and stacked with mediocre, 8th place caliber players.

Beerking repped this.
  12. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good ol' Lex

Beerking repped this.
  13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Across this country, it seems like once a Trumpie, always a Trumpie.

14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Can’t see this one too many times, what a beauty.

falvo and Earthshaker repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Beerking repped this.
  16. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    When viewed from behind the goal, it appears to me the player definitely raised his arm to block the shot.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/sporting-kc-lament-handball-no-call-there-s-no-doubt-in-my-mind

SoccerMan94043 and Beerking repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #16368 JazzyJ, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    To me it looks like he actually draws his arms into his body as the shot approaches. When the shot hits him, his arms are to his side in a fairly natural way. Sure he could put his arms behind his back or push them into his body like he's standing at attention, but I don't think those are requirements.

This is where his arms are as the ball is approaching...

upload_2023-11-27_19-0-54.png

And this is just before the ball makes contact with his body. His arms were more dangling away from his body as he set his position and got his balance, then as the shot approached he drew them in towards his body. If you compare to the previous screenshot you can see how he draws his arms in. I suppose one can make the argument that he didn't draw in his arms far enough, especially the left arm, but to me it's a borderline call at best.

upload_2023-11-27_19-2-24.png

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, if it was a Quake taking the shot it should be a handball, if it was a Quake on defense it was not a handball. ;)

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Other way around. Have you been following Quakes games? :)

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    He brings his arm up first...

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #16372 JazzyJ, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    His arms were up as he settled into position, before the shot. That’s perfectly legal. Then as his feet settled he brought his arms in towards his body. As to whether they were in a reasonably natural position when the ball hit him, I think that’s debatable. It's not like standing at attention pinned to the side of his body, but not extended out from his body to any large degree either.

There's another angle we need to see, which is directly behind him, so that we can see how much the separation of his arms to his body is due to his arm being a little behind his body vs. extended outward from his body. If his arm is a little behind his body but not extended away form it, possible explanations are that he's in the process of bringing it behind his back or that the ball hit his arm and there's a little movement due to the force. I think if that angle is not available, you have to leave the call on the field.

22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been a straight red + 3 game suspension as well.

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I stay away from that board. The guys are all a bunch of know-it-all dickheads.

Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Didn't Daniel get a red for much less egregious handling?

There are apparently rumors about upcoming revisions to the handling rules to incorporate "intent" and "deliberate" -- seems way too subjective to me. Or rather, how likely are players to admit that they deliberately played the ball with their arm?

But I am also not a fan of "natural position" since the only way players can be sure to avoid handling under that definition is to put their arms behind their backs -- definitely not a natural position. What's natural for a player who is jumping or falling?

The only reasonable argument I've seen for not giving a red/PK in that game was the lack of decent photos from the best angle. But from all the photos and video I've seen, if that wasn't handling, the bar for handling must be a whole lot higher than we've seen it called.