Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd like to see JD and crew gone, he (or maybe it was Kaval) mentioned that our current environment made it hard to convince players to come (Buckshaw, the lack of locker rooms at the practice field, etc). I suppose throwing more money makes that problem go away, but it might need to be considered until next year.

DotMPP repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #127 JazzyJ, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    I don't know if I completely buy that argument. If it's a pampered veteran like Angel, yeah I could see it. But if it's a younger, hungry player, I don't think they'd care that much, especially if they saw what was coming. Angel wound up playing with Chivas USA, and although they shared HDC, that was about as mickey mouse an org as you can possibly imagine it seems.

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We don't have scouts, We get a text message when an agent wants to unload an unsellable player...:D

DotMPP and soccerbone repped this.
  4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Watching the Dallas/Houston game. Dallas is on fire out of the gate this season.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think we do either, and this is one of the aspects of us being low revenue that most fans dont see, and why Doyle and Co. get cut as much slack as they do. Our team is being run on a tight budget. Hopefully with the new stadium we can actually flesh out the front office staff.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Doesn't that happen a lot? Dallas seems to start out on fire and then fades...This year, we'll see. They are building quite a pad right now. Shoot they may be 20 points ahead of the Quakes before too long.

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know! We can be scouts! BsAs, anyone?
    Our "current environment" includes about 350 days a year of sunshine, warm weather, beaches, and mountains/skiing/great restaurants/big city amusements within easy access. What would you rather have? A nice locker room and 35 mph winds in April or ugly lockers and a beautiful place to live? Or are the guys we're scouting too dumb to think about the bigger picture?!?

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think you may be on to something. When Kaval said to Doyle, "We need to go out and get some damn players!!", Doyle heard "We need to go out and get some dumb players!!". :--( - sad, one simple miscommunication and we're set back 5 years...

Beerking repped this.
  9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like last year.

10. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Gargan in the starting lineup for LA against Chivas. Doing OK so far. Wonder why few Galaxy fans attend when it is a Chivas home game. Think they would take advantage of the cheaper tickets.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Well it's official boys and girls, with the filth result today we now own the worst record in the league, dead last. :(

12. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Yeah, but we've got games in hand. More realistic to say we're tied for last. ;)

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #138 mjlee22, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    I only watched the condensed game, but it seemed like portland's opportunities in the first half came from consistently attacking deandre yedlin. He got beat quite a bit. What changed in the second half? If it hadn't been for 2 offensive contributions at the end, I thought he would have cut himself from the WC roster. Certainly makes me wonder if he would just be a defensive hole on the international stage.

14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Tied? With whom? :D

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the LanternKickers versus the Onions. I have to say that the officiating was abysmal. Beyond that, as much as we complain and point fingers, Frank has the Fire playing very much like the Earthquakes. His defenders play positions, and don't mark opposing players closely. He's got a few good players, but he also has a backline made up of veteran castoffs. It's a little like watching an embarrassing video of yourself.

go quakes!!
    Fire JD and MW!!

- Mark

mjlee22 and Beerking repped this.
  17. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a lot embarrassing that he's already looking down at us in the standings. Far, far down.

Beerking repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Man, I'm happy for Frank. He was class all the way and it was a mistake to lose him. I suspect Frank, like Darryl Sutter at the time, knew that the team were being cheapskates and saw the mediocrity that was to follow. I think he wants to win. Plus, I liked his tactics and formations and his overall handling of his players.

Good luck Frank and thanks for winning us two championships!

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you smoking? And can I have some? Oh wait, I'm in Washington. Never mind.

But Frank's Lantern Kickers have 4 points from 5 games and no wins! Ooooo!
    Whereas we have one (1) point from three games! Ooooo!

We BOTH suck.

The LanternKickers have 0.8 points per game, versus our staggering 0.3 points per game. NEITHER of these is acceptable. You need about 1.5 ppg to make the playoffs, so you want to be at or above 1.5 as soon in the season as possible and then you need to hold onto that level of success, or improve it.

We have two games in hand on the LanternKickers, and we play comparatively weak competition the next couple of weeks. So we could catch or even overtake them. In any case, they are NOT far above us in the standings.

go quakes!
    Fire JD and MW!!

- Mark

20. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year both RSL and SKC started 1-2-1. Chivas USA was 3-1-1. It's still way, way to early in the season to draw any conclusions.

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so.

In addition to OUR beloved Quakes, I plan to watch as many Fire and GoatShagger games as I can this season. (I haven't watched the Goats vs the filth yet, but it's on my DVR.) I am very interested to see how Frank does, and how Wilmer Cabrera does.

I did however want to make the point that Frank and the LanternKickers are not looking way down the ladder at us. They have four points to our one, and both teams suck. We have some very beatable opponents coming up, so we should climb the ladder pretty quickly.

On the other hand, we are uncreative, and we suck.

Frank need to get the LanternKickers into playoff contention pretty quickly. Five games in, he has no victories, and a paltry 0.8 ppg. That's not good by any measure. Not that we have any room to brag mind you. My point is that Frank isn't tearing it up in Chitcagoland. (At least not yet.)

go quakes!!
    Fire JD and MW!!

- Mark

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Two of today's results (so far) haven't gone our way pushing us further down the ladder. Oh wait, we're on the bottom rung already...:ROFLMAO:

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Set the bar low, nothing left to worry about!

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Yet another result that goes against us, oh well. :)

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timbers have serious problems.